Wednesday, June 25, 2008

En Vogue, Lint, and Weezy












Hi girls,
Did you watch the BET Awards last night? Did you?! I'm still squealing internally OVER the GLORIOUS 90's girl group reunion with Alicia "I-unintentionally-flashed-my-Spanx-on-the-way-to-the-stage" Keys! I thought I'd die before I ever saw SWV, TLC, and En Vogue (including the elusive Dawn!!) sharing a stage together. I was awash in a squishy-warm glow of female empowerment and overwhelming nostalgia. I hate to get all 33-year-old on you girls, but honestly, they just don't make 'em like that any more. As my sister Lauren said, these ladies were rusty, and STILL came out sounding better that half of the R&B chanteuses of today. I just wished someone would've checked Cindy's mic during rehearsal. Anyway, watching that performance made me want to call up all the girls I've lost touch with from UVA, have a big slumber party, drink Tang-spiked Zima, and try to replicate Chilli's baby hairs on each other with a fine-tooth comb.

Just so I don't sound completely over the hill, allow me to say that I firmly believe Weezy SMASHED it. How I love that brilliant little Dark Crystal puppet.


Okay, onto the beauty. On a totally unrelated note, I've discovered yet another little lifesaver (you know, a product I never thought I needed and now can't live without). I discovered a box of Lint-on-the-Go Sheets ($12.99 for a pack of 20) in a party goodie bag that other night, and instantly fell in love. I HATE lint, and since I have a shed-y dog, it's a constant problem for me. I usually carry around a travel-sized lint brush in my purse, but it inevitably get stuck on everything and it's way too bulky. These tiny (4.5" X 3"), individually wrapped lint removal sheets fit in the palm of your hand! You can toss one into your purse, desk drawer, luggage, or gym bag, and be secure in the knowledge that you'll be liberated from lint, hair, and weird fuzz all day long. I hear these ingenious packs were gifted to the stars at last year's awards shows, and now the likes of J. Lo, Tyra, and Angelina are obsessed. Worthy company!
xoxo,
Tia

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again I'm the first to post! Yipee!

I could not agree more with anything you said on this post (except-don't laugh-I have no idea who Wheezy is-Satellite radio and all). Women that can actually sing, and aren't famous simply because they're photogenic and personable, have dwindled since "our day". As for the product-these will be as necessary for my purse as an ink pen, lipstick, and spare pair of pantyhose.

But, Tia, really-Tang AND Zima?!?
:)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Tales of a Diva Housewife said...

I loved seeing all the ladies out last night. Especially EnVogue - its been so long since I've seen the original group together and they looked fabulous as usual.

I thought Nia Long and Rihanna both looked stunning! Their colorful frocks were perfect for the event.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG, when Alicia started singing "Weak", I was like, "Who told this chick she could sing my favortie song--OMG, SWV!! AHHH!! Wait, wait, ENVOUGE, AHHHHH!! TLC, AHHHH!!". I lost it, I screamed outloud, I think my neighbors are concerned. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that glimpse of Spanx.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

I caught a few glimpses and missed En Vogue

boo hoo
:(

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@GC

Girl, me too! i'm super pissed about that, i LOVE SWV! And i'm super sour b/c i stayed up to see that gorgeous yet talent-LESS dingbat Rihanna pretty much do the radio version of "Take A Bow" while obviously fighting not to smile every time she looked at C-Breezy. And i was extra salty at the fact that her performance dress was just her red carpet dress dipped in black! UGGGGGHHHH.

Well, chicas, at least we know that the powers that be over at BET will play the awards over....and over....and over.....

But i'm really impatient for acts I don't like. I wish i had TiVo.

Also: who other than me is feeling Solange's look for the evening? Acually, lately i've been feeling her whole syle choices. The cocktail dress w/full skirt is definitely a keeper on her. but somebody PLEASE get her wig together!! Isn't Mama Knowles a hairdresser?? Anyways, Solange's dress was FIRE, and i also loved Alicia's red carpet look.

I just wasn't feeling that Cleo wig.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto on the cleo wig on alicia, and i was like, where does she get off singing SWV with oh my goodness!! yes they definitley did bring the hotness even if it was a little rusty and alicia was brilliant for bringing that together!! it was awesome!!! there are few singers nowadays who can even hold a candle to en vogue, swv and tlc. scratch that...no one holds a candle to those groups but where was x-scape? (just kick it) anywho the solange style is cool, lauren london looked fab as usual and i was actually feeling lil kim's dressed, just wish she would've stopped with the plastic surgery (and skin lightner?) years ago.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your site, I usually don't comment but.....Zima! OMG, that took me back to high school. For the goody two shoes, yes I drank a little in high school. I just screamed when I saw En Vogue, they looked and sounded good.I agree with you about Cindy's mic. Since I was a youngster when they were popular I never saw them in concert. If they go on tour I'm there! But only if it's the original members, that means the elusive Dawn too.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Amina said...

I also loved seeing SWV,En Vogue and started crying when TLC came...
that was the best performance of the night!!
Thank you for the tip :)
and gosh..I'd love to look like you when i reached 33 years old...you're so beautiful :)

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I hate to get all 38-years-old on you girls but, you're right Tia - they don't make 'em like En Vogue and TLC anymore!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

ZIMA!! You just took me back Tia:-D But what's up with the Tang and do they still make Zima?? That was my "drank" in high school. Ah, memories...

I thought Nia Long was the baddest chick of the night and Cassie was very sexy in her pink minidress. I will catch the whole thing during one of the numerous repeats.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Tatamwari said...

Hi - I love your blog and you are hilarious. "Dark Crystal puppet" - priceless

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your site Tia!I also loved the performance sans the wig but my favorite part was definitely Alicia's speech. "We are so fly and everybody wants to be like us". Aint that the truth? I especially loved the shout out to Obama @ the end.

6:48 PM  
Blogger A*E* said...

Did anyone else think that is was soo cute how Chris Brown was singing Take A Bow like Rihanna was killin it when we all know she wasn't? (I still love her though) Ahh, love...must be nice!

I'm still cracking up at the Tang-spiked Zima comment!!!

7:30 PM  
Blogger teeluv said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:01 PM  
Blogger teeluv said...

OMG...En Vogue, SWV and TLC...loved it!! En Vogue and SWV need to do one of those intimate club tours. They are the best girl groups ever.

And yes, the Dark Crystal puppet aka Lil Wayne smashed it. Gotta say Nelly did his thing too, and looked good doing it. But, my favorite was Maxwell...lordy.

I remember Zima.. :)

Those lint sheets sound pretty good. I carry a lint brush too. It always ends up mucked up in the bottom of my purse or under the seat of the car..... thanks.

9:07 PM  
Blogger B said...

I miss En Vogue so much. Now that was a group of women with looks, personality and voices.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home