Thursday, January 10, 2008

The darker the berry, continued

Hi girls,
It's been awhile since I've done a Q&A, don't you think? Sometimes it's hard to find a question that's general enough for all my SYB girls to love, but I think this one is just right. Enjoy, and share with me a moment of sadness that we won't get to armchair-judge all the wrong red carpet choices at the Golden Globes.
Kisses,
Your Tia

SYB BABE: Anonymous

HER ISSUE: "I'm dark brown with a fairly clear complexion (some dark spots here and there), but I have oily skin. Should I do the concealer, powder thing? Should I do the foundation thing? Or the tinted moisturizer thing? I don't have a whole lot of time for primping in the morning! Any suggestions?"

TIA'S 2 CENTS: Any suggestions, she says. Ha! Miss Anonymous, I have exactly the right prescription for you. Since your complexion is relatively clear, I'd skip allover foundation--if you don't need to cover blemishes, major scars or hyperpigmentation, there's no need (when it comes to face makeup, the goal is to get away with as little as possible). For you, I'd stick with a concealer-and-powder formula. Here's what you do: First, use a tiny brush to apply concealer under your eyes and over your dark spots.

Makeup Forever 5 Camouflage Cream Palette—No. 4 Concealer ($36) is DIVINE, honey--it comes with five different brown concealer shades, so you can blend your own perfect hue (and since we change colors depending on the time of year, this is ideal). Sure, the palette is a little expensive, but it's top-of-the-line stuff, formulated specifically for makeup artists--and I firmly believe that face makeup is where one should spend one's makeup money.

After you've touched up your undereye circles and dark spots, it's all about setting the concealer with powder. Dip a soft, fluffy brush into the powder, tap off excess and swirl all over your face. Iman Second-to-None Luminous Powder Foundation in Earth 4 ($14.99) is absolutely stunning (lighter-skinned girls can try the fairer Clay shades). Not only does it keep oil at bay, this powder foundation is blended with the faintest hint of shimmer, making your skin look stunningly radiant, all day long. And if you're going out and want a fancier look, apply with a wet sponge for more coverage. Et voila, you've got gorgeous skin!

8 Comments:

Blogger yummy411 said...

great products. i'll def have to pick up that concealer palette and i love that iman foundation/powder!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia-Your hair is always so pretty. Can you tell us your hair regimen outside of the dominican salon? Do you use alot of heat on your hair in between salon visits? What products would you suggest for long, strong, healthy hair?
Thanks,
G

12:38 PM  
Blogger Queen Without A Crown said...

Teacake Tia! Ohmigoodness lawdy honeychild its like you were reading my mind! This is EXACTLY what I need. I was gonna try an get a MAC concealer, but this will be better since my facial coloring changes with the season. As always Teacake you on top of your game.

Bisou!

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I used to think that Tia kept plugging Iman products because of their relationship, but her products really are the stuff!! I wanted to try out MAC products but settled on Iman's because I was running low on funds. FABULOUS indeed. It really does provide a luminous effect without looking ashy. I want to try the bronzer also and see if it makes any difference. I think I have a good match with the Clay 4 foundation and the Clay Medium-Dark powder, but if I can find the perfect color combination, I can die right then because my world would be complete!! Ha.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is just what I needed!! I'm definitely checking out this concealer palette this weekend.

styeforme@blogspot.com

3:01 PM  
Blogger From Gullah to Ghetto and now Ivory Tower said...

Thanks so much for looking out for the "blackberry" SYB'ers on this post. Customization is the law for us because foundations for dark skin tend to be too dark, too red, or really ashy looking once applied.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always give such great advice Tia :D This is exactly what I do when I want a very natural look...dot on some concealer and buff on a powder foundation on top of it with a dense kabuki brush or flat bronzer. As a matter of fact I have the MUFE palette and I love it! MAC's Mineralize Skinfinish in Dark is my powder of choice right now, but I'll def have to pick up the IMAN foundation when I'm done. Luckily, a Targhay near me carries the entire line (whoo!)

-Aziza

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I going to try those items. I have almost the same problem as the lady that asked the question.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home