Monday, December 03, 2007

Rona for President














Hi pumpkins,
Okay, so I told you about our whirlwind jaunt thru L.A. last Thursday, right? What I didn't tell you was that I also randomly happened upon my platonic soul mate, a deeply fabulous woman I've admired FOREVER, but never had the chance to meet. Her name is Rona Gaye Stevenson, and she owns Coquette, a vintage boutique brimming over with vintage dresses, accessories, jewelry and eclectic home finds from the 20s to the 80's.

Basically, every time you see celebs stalk the red carpet in some dazzling vintage confection, you can be sure Coquette hooked her up (we're talking J. Lo, Charlize, Rosario, Dita Von Teese, Kanye, Rachel Zoe's girlies and Mary Kate, left). The second I stepped foot in her showroom, it's like my whole life made sense. Girls, it was fashion HEAVEN. Just the most glittering assortment of perfectly edited old-school glamour. It was like Mahogany exploded all over the room. We sat there for hours, flipping through her vintage Vogues, gushing about 70's YSL and squealing over Catherine Deneuve's recent visit to Coquette (can you imagine?). I wish you all could've met Rona, because she's really such an inspiration. She's a dazzling brown girl, just like us, who took her fashion obsession and knack for finding beautiful things and flipped it into a career. Not bad, right?


Being me, I was also knocked about by her pink lipgloss. It was just the barest hint of baby-pink shimmer, but oh, it made SUCH an impact. The magic pink was Chanel Glossimer in Magnifique ($25). Don't be turned off by the paleness, it's really quite sheer. If you're on a budget, try Revlon SuperLustrous LipGloss in Pink Afterglow ($5.57), it's virtually the same sweet shade. Anyway...moral of today's story? Rona for president!!

xoxo,
Tia

PS...I couldn't resist. The only thing Kim Kardashian's rocking in her Playboy spread? A stunning, chunky, navel-grazing necklace from Coquette. I'd upload the shot, but I don't want to offend any delicate sensibilities. Also, the sight of Kim's totally bald vagina is somewhat unsettling.

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia- It sounds like your trip to L.A. was MAJUH! (As Posh would say) Glad you and Lauren had so much fun! I could definitely use some West Coast sunshine right about now.

christie

11:38 AM  
Blogger Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Rona's store sounds fabulous!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your decision not to upload Kim K's naked photos is the best Christmas present a girl could ask for :)

Didn't Kimora go to that store in an ep of "Life in the Fab Lane"? She might now!

Thanks for the pink lip tip. It's great to have another shade to rock at all these damned holiday festivities.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! The Olsen in the green dress is Mary-Kate, not Ashley. Thanks for the lip gloss tip; I'm always looking for a cute shade of pink lip gloss :)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Alyssia said...

lol. i absolutely love your blog...you crack me up! and I would love to visit Rona's store...you're sooo lucky! :) and ONE DAY ill spend $25 on chanel lip gloss....i love their shades but MAC is about as expensive as I'll go for gloss...maybe santa will leave me a couple shades under the xmas tree!

alyssia

1:15 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Coquette sounds like so much fun.
Glad you and your baby sis had such a blast.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Yannize said...

Tabitha, no I think she went to another LA vintage stomping ground...
my closet needs to look like that showroom...down to the cream carpet

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia- if you want to upload the photo of Kim's necklace just copy into a photoshop-type program and cut out her face and the necklace. Lord knows we don't need to see the rest of her body!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimora went to Cameron Silver's Decades after BJ gave her dress away to Tichina Arnold. Thank you Tia for not uploading KK's faux body in all it's plasticized glory! She's over-exposed in more ways than one. LOL Girls, L'Oreal makeup is BOGO here at the Chi-city Walgreens this week so check near you. Their Colour Juice in Strawberry Smoothie (you can blend it with their Raspberry Smash for more color)is great and lasts for hours. Have a great week ladies!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

Jealous! Love the 70's glamour.

And am I the only one willing to out myself on thinking that Kim Kardashian's look - from the neck up, is really pretty? Great brows and eyes... but yeah, keep the clothes on!

Come visit my new blog!

http://mikaelasjetsetbeauty.blogspot.com/

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! Sounds like someone had fun in L.A!!! I am truly enjoying all of these updates... They make me happy!lol

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that Chanel gloss, it's fantastic!

Lily
BeautyMaverick.com

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*le sigh* If I changed my name to something similar to yours, say, Tiana Wilson, would I be half as fabolous as you?

Anyway, thanks to everybody for the comments about hair. I really know nothing about styling my hair so I'm still taking tips. But I definitely don't wanna congest Tia's blog with that, so if you wanna offer suggestions, please visit my blog.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Coffee said...

Hmmm, that pink may not be right for my tone (but it won't hurt to try). And if not, Chanel has the CUTEST lip gloss holiday set.....me thinks I needs it! ;) Love your blog, Miss Tia!

Coffee

www.wwbeyoncedo.blogspot.com

7:58 PM  
Blogger divasoul said...

Mahogany fashion! No fair! And I never do pink gloss - never occurred to me. But I think I'll give it a try. One can never have too much makeup.

Mikaela I like Kim's look, too. Shhh...don't tell nobody.

9:48 PM  
Blogger beautylogicblog said...

Mikaela, i totally agree. Kim Kardashian is absolutely stunning to me.i have no desire to see the playboy shots but from what i do see,she's beautiful. I have that Chanel gloss, it looks stunning on tan skin.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diva Fabu, you must incorporate webcam into your life. Then we could at least get to hear bits and pieces of a Life Fantastique.....Oh and I see Joanne is back!!!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I'm glad I'm not alone! haha

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beauty SOS! Hey Ms. Tia, here's a question for ya (for when you do the weekly reader q&a). I absolutely LOVE all of Revlon's cream eye shadow palettes, especially the metallic pallete and the purple pallette. I'm a golden brown girl, so i guess the creaminess of the shadow is what makes it really pop against my skin and my eyes, too. however, i HATE using my fingertips and those little applicators that typically comes with eyeshadow, but my shadow brushes (that i love so much for my L'Oreal HIP eyeshadows) cannot be used in the same mannor as powder eyeshadow.

Any tips/tricks?

1:46 PM  
Blogger sparks said...

Tia-- you are so great!! Christie turned me on to your site and life is more beautiful(loving the updates). Not only does Rona's store sound amazing, I really like her name. I am always thinking about hypothetical baby names.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Amby said...

This has nothing to do with the topic but fashion and music go hand and hand, I love to share new music finds! Colbie Caillat is so fabulous!! The cd is called Coco.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds sassy and pretty fab!!!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

Seriously Tia, how did you get to be so fab?

6:33 PM  
Blogger Manillo said...

Mikaela, agreed.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should come out to LA more often (and let us know in advance). I get jealous of all the east coast excitement! Shake your Beauty on the west coast!

2:05 AM  
Blogger divasoul said...

I just picked up the Revlon lipgloss (since I'm cheap). I would NOT have picked that myself, but somehow it works!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Mikele Adriana said...

I'm late but I got the Revlon gloss too and absolutely love it! And you too Tia!! You give EXCELLENT tips! :)

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home