Monday, November 12, 2007

You Better Work













Hi ladies,
Well. Last night was my dear friend Malcolm's "Breaking Into Fashion" forum at Runway...and it was GORGEOUS! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. So many aspiring designers, models, fashion/beauty editors and buyers showed up, I wanted to break out in a celebratory verse of George Michael's "Too Funky." I was so flattered to be on a panel (above) that included the brilliant designer Malcolm Harris, Vibe Fashion Director Memsor Kamarake, French Vogue cover model Andre J (who doesn't love the turban?), Stylist Tyson P., model Jaizen Homiller (yum...and that's his girlfriend's hat), and the illustrious Ms. J Alexander showed up later. I ended up learning SO much about these people. DId you know Ms Jay spoke five languages and lived in Paris for twenty years? And none other than a pre-"Like a Virgin" Madonna gave Malcolm his start? So much valuable information was flying around that room, girls. Here are just a few tips for aspiring fashionistas:


MODELS: Before your go-see, make sure your weave's tight, your nails are done and your va-jay-jay is approriately tame (seriously, a bikini moment can happen at any moment). Also, no hoochie pictures or polaroids from your sister's wedding. And learn to edit your look! When Diana Vreeland said "elegance is refusal," I believe she was talking to us. Before you walk out the door, check yourself out in the mirror and remove an accessory or two. Models should look clean, not junky--you're a hanger, girl, so keep it simple!


DESIGNERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS: Always, always, always have your portfolio with you. If it's too big and bulky, just keep a couple of sketches or photos of your work in your bag. You never know who you'll run into, especially if you live in a city like New York, L.A. or ATL. I told a story about a designer friend of mine who ran into Puffy on Broadway (back when he was starring in "Raisin in the Sun"). He showed the flossy mogul his work, and had a job the next week. TRUE STORY. Also, take advantage of the internet! Start a blog broadcasting your looks or sell your stuff on myspace. The web thing has gotten so legit that you almost don't even need magazine or TV exposure to get word-of-mouth publicity.


MAGAZINE EDITORS: It's all about interning--and the more publications you intern for, the better. That way, when an entry level position opens up, the executive editors will think of you first, since they already know you! If you're a little past the intern stage, try getting experience writing for your local paper or a style magazine in your area. If you're a recent graduate, I TOTALLY recommend applying to NYU's Summer Publishing Course (this is what I did!). The seminars are taught by real-live magazine editors, so you're networking as you're learning. And by the end of the summer, everyone in the course has a job.

I so wish that all my non-New Yorker SYB Babes could've attended, but here's the good news. Malcolm has set up a myspace page, www.myspace.com/breakingintofashion, for you to ask questions, make comments or throw shade (hey, it's fashion)! It's all about sticking together and helping each other out whever we can, right? As Reverend Run says, "Teamwork makes the dream work."

That little Diggy is just so cute!

Until next time,
Tiaxoxo

21 Comments:

Blogger Yannize said...

Tia, it was such a great panel! There was so much valuable info, cant wait til the next one...
and it was absolutely delicious to finally meet you!

Yannize
styleammo.blogspot.com

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I know there's more to Ms. Jay than meets the eye! You can tell! More to the point-your hair was so tight that night, people need to ask if it has its own agent!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Gabster said...

okay I love this blog and one of my fav gossip blogs had a Fabulous pic of you girl I was sooo proud lol.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww... I wish I could've gone. But I live in St.Louis...

Thanks for the awesome tips Tia. You always have a sistas back!

3:11 PM  
Blogger From Gullah to Ghetto and now Ivory Tower said...

Honey, I'm so envious! I want to meet Andre' J. He's the man!!! You looked absolutely divine btw (Joanne is killing me softly).

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST found out about this panel (I need to bookmark your blog, like right now, so I don't miss out again)! But, it sounds like it was amazing. Thanks, lady, for being such a great example to others!

3:42 PM  
Blogger China McGee said...

Tia that is the CUTEST picture of you and Ms. Jay! AWWWW.

4:22 PM  
Blogger ljkelly said...

I went to www.theybf.com today and I saw a big picture of you and Ms. Jay! You looked fab!!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there at the forum sitting right next to you and Miss Jay, but was a bit shy to speak...lol. I did try to say hi towards the end, but your hubby was waiting and it looked like you had to go :(

Anyway, you looked absolutely FAB! And I loved being in the presence of so many beautiful black people doing big things in the fashion industry.

www.myurbanglamour.com
www.myspace.com/urban_glamour

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was such a great post, Tia! I will definitely keep that NYU summer course in mind when I graduate. You looked gorgeous in your photos, too. It's not fair! *shanks you in your face and chops off all your hair* J/K, lol

Can't wait til your next post!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mal Sirrah said...

Firstly, I don't know if the words have been invented to describe how wonderful Tia Williams truly is... I have only known Tia for a few months and mainly the same way that most of you guys do - via the internet. But from the first evening we hung out together (Halloween - check out my blog to see the photos) - I knew that we would be friends forever. You just know these things... When I asked Tia to participate on this panel - she unlike others, did not hesitate to throw her hat into the ring. As most of you know its a fashion fabulous thing that everyone has to check their schedule. However, Tia with her insane schedule was onboard 100% to do her part. This might sound very simple to others, but trust me when I tell you - there are very few people that are at Tia's level in the game which remain so approachable and down to earth. She is truly a rare beauty both inside and out... I am so excited about our journey... So I truly do invite you all to stay tuned as well as to join our little Love Train to this quaint yet remote town we call "Success"...

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia, you look amazing! I wish I could've been there :(

8:35 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Tia...you and Joanne looked fabulous.

I would have loved to meet Miss Jay, runway coach extraordinaire.

As for the turban and the silver boots? I am sooo done. LOL

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post.

I remember your mentioning NYU's Summer Publishing Course before but totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. It sounds like a great experience.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL I say the same thing about Diggy, he is a cutie. He will most def be breaking some hearts.

I am sorry I do not know what " Throw shade" means. People in New Orleans dont say that. Can some one define it for me?

Thanks

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad I missed the event on Sunday, and I can attest that the NYU Summer Publishing Institute is great. It's hectic, but you get to meet so many heavy hitters in the magazine industry.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Olajuwon said...

Darn it, I wish I could have gone. You want to talk about far? I live in Orlando. Tia, do you take a bad photo? Really, I want to know. Do you have to be a graduate to take the NYU publishing course? I'm graduating in a year and after I intern here in Florida, I'm applying for internships with ASME and Conde Nast for the summer of 2009. Does anyone have any tips for landing internships?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Tia, you and Joanne are stunning. Wish I could've been there but I'm holding NOVA down for ya.

Girls please say a prayer for me... I was just told that I will no longer have my fashion job(which I loved)after 12/31. I'm trying to stay positive:)

7:43 PM  
Blogger Hanna said...

when are we ever going to stop the weave thing..It is pathetic and everyone knows that that hair did not grow out of your head..So if you know its fake and everyone else knows why do we wear it?

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh how i LOVE Memsor and Andre J in vogue could you even believe!!!! AMAZING.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Tia, thanks for the wonderful info.
Too bad that I live very far from New York and couldn't attend.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home