Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Trick of Life


Hi ladies,
Siggghhh. I had THE BEST beauty experience yesterday. I treated myself to a whole day at the super-fancy, celeb-studded Paul Labrecque Salon and Spa. I had a luxurious, 90-minute pre-natal massage (ask for Lynn if you're in the market), and a trim & blowout with Labrecque's superstar black hair stylist, Yusuf. Adorable Yusuf, who has the pleasure of whipping Kerry Washington, Joy Bryant, Tyra and Naomi's locks into shape, gave me the best hair of my life. He also gave me a fabulous tip for relaxed girls like me with an almost-constant new-growth issue. After the blowout, he spritzed Bumble and Bumble Spray de Mode ($25), a non-sticky, ultra-light hold hairspray, all over a natural boar bristled brush (try
Ace Club Brush, $6.99)...and then, using quick, short strokes, he smoothed the brush over my hairline. I. Could. Not. Believe. The. Results. It honestly looked like I'd just gotten a touch-up. My roots were totally flat and impossibly glossy, and it took, like, two seconds! At first I was skeptical...as a rule, I don't let hairspray anywhere near my hair (it makes relaxed hair so sticky and unmanageable, I think). But Yusuf convinced me that Spray de Mode is actually so light that you can brush right through it. Frankly, after that genius hairspray/brush trick, he could convince me of just about anything. I'd marry Joe the Plumber if Yusuf said so.
love,
Tia

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am usually afraid of hair spray because I hate for anything to weigh my hair down or possibly make it look greasy...But I might have to try this ;)
Thanks

12:33 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Hmm....sounds like a good trick. Good for you for treating yourself to a day of pampering. Being pregnant is hard work...you deserve it!

1:50 PM  
Blogger the beautynista said...

LMAOOOOOOOOO @ joe the Plumber!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm natural, but will keep that in mind when I flat-iron my hair. Thanks!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Zavysmamma said...

LMAO at Joe The Plumber as well!!! But I might have to try that...my hair is relaxed and I too need some kind of product in between touch ups.

11:50 AM  
Blogger divasoul said...

Ooh I so could use this product RIGHT NOW

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehee it must be great if you'd marry joe the plumber!

11:36 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Anyone know of a drug store brand that will give you light hold like this?

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I love you Tia, really I do. But I guess I'm unsure about jumping on this bandwagon because I've jumped on so many and haven't been met with great results that I've been expecting.

Although I don't want to discredit Yousuf here, I must say that there IS something about getting hair done by a stylist that seems to tame new growth by itself. Meaning that it may not have been the $30 product that you suggested that is doing the trick, but quite sure it is the expertise of the stylist.

Before you guys hop on this bandwagon, just remind yourselves of how you try to do your hair when you like 3 months post relaxer but your roots never lay down flat. Yet when you visit a stylist, they look like you've gotten a relaxer.

Just trying to save you all a couple bucks and few broken hearts here. lol.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate using really anything in my hair lately, but this product doesnt weigh it down!
efragrances.net

10:31 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

I have this spray and it is very light. I'll try the tip suggested although I do also believe it has something to do with having a stylist blow out your roots vs. doing it myself. When I have alot of new growth to tame and I do my own hair, my roots stay tame only for a few days vs. my roots staying straight until the next wash when my stylist does my hair.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip Tia! It worked like a charm for me and my hair is natural. With my hair steamed from the shower (not wet, I hadn't washed it) I added a little oil to my scalp and hair, and then sprayed my brush (it's a special edge-smoother made by Revlon called Amber waves) with my Nexxus light hold Comb-Thru and with a few firm, short strokes, my hair laid down quite nicely. When I have time, I tie it down first with a scarf, but again, my hair is natural. Thanks again!

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home