Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Top 10 Things I Learned at Fashion Week, Part 3


5.) EVERYONE LOOKS FAB WITH A SLEEK, SCRAPED-BACK PONY: At Badgley Mischka (above), Erin Fetherston, J Mendel, Michael Kors, and Marc by Marc Jacobs, models rocked sleeker-than-sleek ponytails with a deep side part. Sounds like a no-brainer, but I rarely see women rocking the style (most of us are from the if-the-blowout-still-looks-good-wear-it-down school of thought, like moi). I was so struck by how pulled-together--how CAROLYN BESSETTE, God bless her--the style looked! And I get why so many designers demanded the sleek pony. It managed to look wildly flattering on every single model, no matter her face shape, hair type, or hair length. Equal opportunity chic! To pull it off, create a deep side part with a fine-tooth comb, smooth a dime-sized amount of a moisturizing shine oil like L'Oreal Professional Textureline Hair Mix Sublime Shine ($13.99) over hair, and scrape back into a pony. I tend to think the lower the better, but a top-of-the-crown pony is always fetching, too.


6.) NOBODY USES LIQUID FACE CLEANSERS ANYMORE: Backstage at the shows, the cleanser of choice wasn't a cleanser at all...it was an obscure pack of British cleansing sheets called Simple Oil-Balancing Cleansing Wipes ($10). I mean, I saw this unassuming-looking wipes so often, I finally had to corner a junior stylist at Cynthia Steffe to find out the deal. Seems that, since models have to remove their makeup, like, twenty times a day during Fashion Week, they need something that gets their skin squeaky-clean in seconds, sans stripping and irritation...and Simple Wipes are THE secret weapon. Not only do they remove all of your makeup--even waterproof mascara--in one swipe, the super-soft sheets contain zinc, witch hazel, and natural antibacterials that tighten pores and prevent breakouts. Totally gentle, totally fragrance-free, and totally dependable. Bummed that they're only sold in the UK, I did some research and found a site that carries them...www.shoplondons.com. Happy cleansing!!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acne prone chicas beware of these. Witch hazel is a known irritant.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I haven't worn slicked back hair since my School of American Ballet days - bring on the dipity-do! I wish I could, especially for the Carolyn Bessette connotation, but with out the aid of serious gel my little hairline poof/cowlick stands to attention.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, anonymous!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use Olay Daily Facials Express Wet Cleansing Cloths for sensitive skin cost 5.99 at the drugstore. They also have a version for all skin types.

I use it to remove make-up and when I'm to lazy to wash my face.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just bought the simple wipes, on first usage they seem great. Skin is left totally clean and no irritation so far.
Thanks for the tip.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Elle* said...

Hey! I work at Duane Reade in the NYC and we carry these!

12:15 AM  
Blogger Calming Corners said...

I want to try these cleansing wipes. Thanks for the post!

10:48 AM  
Blogger NJ said...

Simple are a fantastic brand, I use their face wipes along with their perfume and oil free sensitive moisturiser as I have porcelain fair sensitive skin. What sweetens the deal is that they're one of the cheapest brands here in the UK.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently I heard Karina Smirnoff from “Dancing with the Stars” in an interview that she has been using these products called My Beautiful Breasts and Abs in a Box to give her a more fit body for the competition. Specially she said “I won’t step foot on the red carpet or dance floor without wearing It Cosmetics, in fact I rarely even leave my house without it! It’s my one beauty secret I would die without! It Cosmetics is seriously like a dancer’s body in a box!”- Karina Smirnoff. I had seen these products on the Today Show, but thought they were silly. After watching Karina Smirnoff apply the products to herself I decided to give it a try. I have only used the Abs in a Box kit and have already seen a huge difference…I TOTALLY look like I’ve lost 15 lbs and I’m finally able to get that in-shape look I’ve been working so hard for in the gym. I plan on getting the My Beautiful Breasts kit next!

I am curious...have you heard of these products? if so, what do you think?

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home