Monday, September 15, 2008

Top 10 Things I Learned at Fashion Week, Part 1

Hi girls,
There was so much beauty goodness at the Spring '09 New York Fashion Week shows last week, I barely know where to start! But after much to-ing and fro-ing, I decided that best way to share my favorite beauty trends and backstage tips was to throw together a "best of" list...THE TOP TEN THINGS I LEARNED AT FASHION WEEK. Like it? So, every day this week, I'll be giving you two of my most favorite hair, makeup or skin trends/tips from Le Shows. Enjoy, ladies!!

TOP TEN THINGS I LEARNED AT FASHION WEEK, PART 1

















1.) BOHO-GODDESS WAVES ARE SMOKING HOT: At shows like Nanette Lepore, Diane Von Furstenburg (above), and Proenza Schuler, long, loose, bohemian-chic waves were all the rage, and I was LOVING it. The look manages to be romantic and rock n' roll-edgy at the same time, wouldn't you say? And there's so much you can do with this look. At Nanette, models wore their hair parted down the middle with skinny braids strewn throughout; and at DVF, the hair was accessorized with gypsy-ish feathered headbands (DVF said her inspiration was the way she and her friend, model Marisa Berenson looked at 20. GORGE). Backstage at Proenza, head stylist Omar Lopez told me he used the GHD Original Styler ($195) on all the girls. Being a strictly curling iron girl, I've never figured out how to use a flatiron to get waves and curls, but he broke it down for me (I've tried it since, and it works!). First of all, you need an iron that has rounded edges like the GHD Styler. I know it's expensive, but think of it as a sexy hair investment. Next, you clamp down on a small section of hair about two inches from your scalp, and turn the iron ONCE (until the plates are upside down). Then you just pull the iron straight through the section. So easy, and it gives you the most perfectly imperfect, sexy boho waves. Omar, you've changed my life.


2.) MAC STROBE CREAM ($29.50) IS EVERY MAKEUP ARTIST'S SECRET WEAPON: Seriously, this highlighting cream was lurking around backstage at every other show I went to last week--especially the ones where a significant amount of legs, arms, and cleavage were going to be on display, like Herve Leger (below).




Behind the scenes at Herve, head makeup artist Val Garland called the vitamin-packed, sheeny cream the "ultimate skin waker-upper." She was applying the super-light moisturizer to models' faces and bodies to give them a radiant, basking-in-the-afterglow finish. You'd have NO idea that half those girls hadn't slept in three days and were hungover beyond belief. And the great thing is, Strobe Cream is time-released, so it continues brightening the skin all day long! When Garland rubbed a bit on my hand, I wanted to make love to it. That sounds so wrong, but you'll know what I mean if you try it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sooo exciting! can't wait to see the rest

9:56 PM  
Blogger A*E* said...

I'm a curling iron girl too! I could never master the flat iron curls. Thanks for the tip!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I use MAC's strobe creme every day - it gives a lit-from-within glow to your skin.
As for the GHD iron - when I lived in the UK, I could not find a decent pro curling iron & had to go this route. It would work, but the curl would soon fall out of my hair... bummer!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Luxe Tips said...

I must try this Strobe Creme. I keep hearing fantastic things about this cream. I am going to the MAC store today to try.

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to the rest of your fashion week review.

12:39 PM  
Blogger TheSweetestThing said...

Ladies, Strobe Cream is the best!As a former MAC artist, I can attest to it! The best way to use it is after you've exfoliated. You buff it on with a flat brush and then dust a light powder over your face and it's like your skin is gleaming and polished! Seriously...it's great.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

アフィリエイトで稼ぐならブログアフィリエイトが簡単!時間がないあなたにピッタリのサイドビジネスですFX・外国為替証拠金取引の比較サイト「FX-外為比較.com」では、複数の条件からFX・外国為替会社の比較!また資料請求、口座開設もできます。

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Nike Air Force One said...

Awesome

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home