Thursday, September 18, 2008

Top 10 Things I Learned at Fashion Week, Part 4


7.) TIME TO GET OVER MY BRONZE OBSESSION AND EMBRACE THE PINK: You ladies know how much I love the whole beachy, golden-bronze lip and cheek look, right? Well, clearly I'm due for an update. At shows like Derek Lam, Max Azria, Ralph Lauren and Anna Sui (left, the glorious Jourdan Dunn), models swanned down the catwalk rocking super-rosy cheeks and lips--and they looked fabulous. Somehow, that little burst of just-in-from-the-cold flush made the girls look fresh without being prim, and sexy without being gauche. Great combo, in my opinion. And it's incredibly easy to pull off, too. I'm a huge fan of Tarte's new Berry Couture All Natural Stain Set ($35), a limited edition, cute-as-pie kit that comes with a raspberry-hued cheek stain and matching gloss; and LORAC Travel Size Sheer Wash in Sheer Raspberry ($19), a roll-on lip and cheek stain in a universally gorge berry tint.


8.) FOUNDATION IS OVER: I kept noticing backstage that most makeup artists were totally ignoring their foundation in lieu of cleverly placed cover-up, like at Marc Jacobs (left). When I asked the legendary, flame-haired makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury for her take on the whole thing, she said that unless you have major skin issues (ie, serious scarring or hyperpigmentation), you really don't need foundation to look polished! All you need is a great concealer blended over your trouble areas (like under the eyes, around the mouth, or over zits). Her secret weapon during the shows was Estee Lauder Smoothing Cream Concealer ($20), a super-creamy formula chock full of vitamin E to fight puffiness (great for bags). When I expressed my skepticism re: the range of shades--I mean, I never heard of a brown girl wearing Lauder concealer--she whipped out my exact color and swiped it on my chin (so humiliating because clearly that meant she noticed my pre-natal breakout). You wouldn't believe the coverage. And it looked totally natural! Moral of the story is, stop covering up your beautiful skin with foundation. More than likely, you don't need it...and why clog your pores for no reason?

14 Comments:

Blogger 'Lish said...

I'm a huge Tarte Fan -- i use their cheek stains in Natural Beauty, Sunkissed, and Tickled -- when I want effortless pretty. So i totally wanted to check out the link. Bummed that it leads me instead to some Hard Candy eyeshadows.

BTW -- I love your blog !

6:10 PM  
Blogger Brandy One-Hun'ed said...

I need the foundation. i was looking into turning to lazers to even out my skin. Am I the minority?

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to thank Ms. Tilbury for confirming something I have been doing for awhile...The foundation I love is expensive and I use it once or twice a week. The rest of the time I use a concealer that is dark enough to be cover-up and I use MSF or loose powder to set.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Sass said...

definitely cosigning with pumps and gloss. i've been doing the strategic cover up for a while, makes for a more natural looking face (especially in the summer).

12:17 PM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I'm anti-foundation, however I do love Dermalogica's tinted moisturizer for a very sheer wash of colour.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Mlle M. said...

I'm with brandy. My uncooperative skin looks MUCH better with foundation. I don't use liquid, though; I use bare minerals for foundation as well as concealer.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

I never liked foundation anyways... I can't ever seem to find my perfect "complexion"

5:02 PM  
Blogger Candice said...

Tia, you mentioned concealer, but does that mean no foundation mean no powder?

10:27 AM  
Blogger 'Lish said...

I don't use it all. On occasion when my skin acts like it has lost its mind, ill mix a little with my moisturizer, but I have found that keeping up a good skin care regimen and investing in an chemical exfoliant has given my skin a pretty good glow and has diminished dark spots. I'll be honest -- genetics could be a factor, but as I've gotten older that hasn't been on my side as much. I have real addiction to the clinique three step -- and have found that their turnaround concentrate did wonders to even my skin tone, reduce the appearance of dark spots, give me a glow, and leave my face feeling soft like velvet. I'd recconmend checking it out. I've also heard good things about the even better skin corrector.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Candice said...

@ lish I used the even better skin corrector, and I find that it didn't do anything. It may not have been strong enough for my pigmentation issues, but all skin will react differently.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for encouraging ladies to back away from the foundation. I pressed my good friend Nic to skip that step. Nic didn't so much as run out for a carton of milk without foundation on. She agreed to go without it for a week and our coworkers were asking her if she'd had a facial. She was hiding some pretty amazing skin under that foundation! It made her look at least 5 years younger - and that cured her foundation addiction!

Kierah

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post, I'm gonna give the concealer a try cause sometimes foundation can be a pain. What shade did she put on you?

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

無配転落・復配無配転落
新聞
建築基準法
サスペンション
国家公務員Ⅰ種国家公務員
レーシックを考えるリンク集
わきがと体臭の違い
1万円相場景気回復によって
リアス式海岸
寿司
津波津波によって被害を
ニュースキャスター
パラパラ
ベーネクリスタルシャンプー
行政から指定を受ける
失敗した間取り
津波防災の町宣言
通販マニアのお勧めサイト
ダイナモ
証券子会社

seego

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

アフィリエイトで稼ぐならブログアフィリエイトが簡単!時間がないあなたにピッタリのサイドビジネスですFX・外国為替証拠金取引の比較サイト「FX-外為比較.com」では、複数の条件からFX・外国為替会社の比較!また資料請求、口座開設もで

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home