Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Eye die!


Hola muchachitas,
How was your weekend? Mine was rainy and migraine-y, but I found a little electronic dream machine that helped TONS. Now, I know this isn't exactly a beauty product, but I also know that a large number of you are migraine sufferers (the fancy, technical term is "migraneurs") like moi, so I had to let you in on my secret. A little background info, first. When I get one of my crazy headaches, it looks like this: Me balancing an ice pack on my forehead while I wear my fingers to a nub massaging my temples and browbone. The whole situation is awkward and unwieldy. Luckily, Brookstone has come to my rescue with their worth-every-effing-penny Eye Soothe Warm/Cool Tension-Relieving Mask ($50). It's a super-soft mask that uses something called "air inflation technology" to massage around your eyes, forehead and sinuses. It comes with a removable gel insert that you can either stick in the freezer or warm in the microwave, depending on what works best for you (for me, it's all about cold therapy). Oh, and the mask has a 15-minute shutoff timer, so you can safely allow it to massage you to sleep. So great, guys...even if you don't have headaches, it's an amazing tension-reliever. Thank God it runs on batteries and comes with a cute little pouch, so it's super-easy to travel with (I refuse to board another plane without it). Divine, divine, divine!
xoxo,
Tia

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You may have saved my life with this one. I get the worst headaches when my cycle is on...I'm going to Brookstone asap.

11:48 AM  
Blogger A*E* said...

Have you ever tried Imitrex? My mom is a "migraneur" and I know that Imitrex helps her A LOT!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fellow migraneur, I feel your pain. Thanks for the info! Have you ever tried Peace of Mind from Origins? Whenever I feel a migraine coming on, I rub it on my temples. I also use the mint body wash and lotion from C.O. Bigelow. It's very cooling and seems to help.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Tia Williams said...

Hey girls,
Unfortunately, I've had severe migraines since I was a wee girl of ten, so I've tried everything out there...from pressure point oils to Fiorinal to Imitrex to biofeedback to Oxycontin to acupuncture to magnesium shots, and on and on. And I've NEVER been able to find something that works consistently! And in my case, it's totally genetics. My mom has migraines and so did her father. If I pass them onto my daughter, I will jump in the East River.
xoxo,
Tia

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother would die for that! Her migrains are dibilitating. I found her christmas gift! lol

4:31 PM  
Blogger shimmerliciousdiva said...

I am definitely going to purchase this! Fall semester always gives me headaches!
I also have a question...Tia and fellow Shake Your Beauties, is a bristle brush or a paddle brush best for African American permed hair? And which do you use? My hair is a mess (too much breakage), and I'm trying to find a good regimen-something gentle that will strengthen my hair and help it to grow. So I'm up for any suggestions as far as products and tools. I heard that WEN is good- is there a WEN-like product that is a little less expensive?
Help!
-The not currently Shimmerlicious Diva

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone: Headaches and migraines are two different things. If your migraines are consistent, please go to a neurologist to get an MRI of your brain, to rule out anything serious (i.e. brain lesions, etc.).

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tia! This should help me fall asleep during sinuspressure-a-looza.
Shimmerlicious, I don't know if I get your question. Paddle brushes have bristles. Do you mean plastic bristles vs. boar bristles? Boar bristles work best for distribution of oil, but I don't know if that will make your hair grow any faster.

4:31 PM  
Blogger shimmerliciousdiva said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:11 PM  
Blogger shimmerliciousdiva said...

Its just that I hear that boar bristles cause split ends and I'm trying to start a new hair regimen of gentle tools and products that could promote growth. Please, if anyone has advice...I'll appreciate it. Tia, please, please do a post on this.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tia:
maybe your migraines are caused by a gluten sensitivity or intolerance.

many who suffer such headaches have a gluten problem.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. gluten issues are hereditary/ genetic

so it would make sense your family had them.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home