Friday, January 25, 2008

Winter Woes, WWD, and Me








Hi girls,
Fab news! In today's Women's Wear Daily, "Shake Your Beauty" is listed as one of their Top Ten Beauty Blogs! Isn't this exciting? Seriously, I owe it all to my faithful SYB Babes...as well as Matthew Evans and Michelle Edgar from WWD (drinks after Fashion Week?). And a heart-felt gracias to Lady Miss Julia Coney of "All About the Pretty" for citing me as her beauty influence (how darling is that?). Sigh. Today's a good day. I'd like to thank the Academy, my dog, and my mom, for instilling in me a passionate penchant for blush.













So, yesterday morning I went to the annual Bendels' Beauty Breakfast. This swanky event is a years-old tradition in the beauty industry, where editors--and now bloggers--learn all about the venerable boutique's new beauty offerings (and stuff oodles of samples in their shopping bags). Oh, the goods were endless. But I was particularly fascinated by the following two yummies:


1.) Laura Mercier Corner Faux Lashes ($18): These terribly delicate, easy-to-apply lashes are meant to be worn at the outer corner of each eye, which creates that sultry, swoony cat-eye effect. I love that they come with their own tiny tube of invisible lash glue, and if you carefully store the lashes back in the box, you can wear them again and again! I've said this before and I'll say it again--a good lash instantly makes EVERYONE look a zillion times better. Even the most looks-challenged. Give Dick Cheney a lash and see what happens.


2.) BeautyRehab Rose Salve ($12): This British import knocked my socks off (and I'm not alone--apparently, UK mayjas like Posh & Becks, Sophie Dahl and, oddly enough, Masi Oka, are obsessed with this stuff). Basically, it's a portable winter cure-all that you MUST keep in your bag at all times. The rose oil and shea butter-infused balm smooths chapped lips; softens cuticles; hydrates dry hands and elbows; tames split ends; and moisturizes flaky, flu-ravaged nostrils (how I loathe that word). And it's so much more glamorous than Vaseline! Veddy, veddy good.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia, thank you for being such an inspiration to me and all your readers. We love you. Feel better.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Yvelette said...

Much congrats to you! Tia you deserve all the success in the world! Keep reaching for the stars!!!!!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, and feel better! You're definitely an inspiration to me as an African American woman in a business where women like us are so scarce. When I first started pursuing this field, I thought I'd be the only one, but I'm glad to be a part of a blog where there are so many fabulous beauty mavens who share the same passion as me!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

What a great blurb, and in WWD!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia,

Here's the full article:

http://makeupbag.net/wp-content/uploads/wwdarticle.jpg

You're THEEE BEST babe...feel better soon!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

that Dick Cheney joke was killer

3:26 PM  
Blogger (vixenchick) said...

Congrats!

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!! That's wonderful :)

Lily x
Beautymaverick.com

11:26 PM  
Blogger From Gullah to Ghetto and now Ivory Tower said...

Congrats, all of your hard work is paying off in magnificent ways. BTW, that balm looks like a winner.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Congratulations!! You are such an inspiration for young women of color and beyond!! :-)

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!! I just got an e mail that says I was featured on this list too... but I can't read it! And the Makeupbag link won't open for me. Someone help!

4:59 PM  
Blogger divasoul said...

Congratulations! You deserve it! Love the Dick Cheney comment.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home