Monday, January 21, 2008

MLK would've wanted us to wear pretty hats

Hi pretty girls,
Time for an extremely of-the-moment Q&A! I'm sure that this one is effecting us all during this cold, harsh, brutally unfeeling winter. Take notes, ladies...

SYB BABE: Cinque

ISSUE: "I have a question about winter hats! I was warned to avoid wool, cotton, and acrylic, because it pulls hair & causes breakage. Cashmere & silk are preferred. Have you heard this before? Help!"

TIA'S 2 CENTS: Ah, winter hats. Such a condundrum. Unless it's satin, all of it is a hot mess. Cotton, acrylic and wool all cause crazy split ends, breakage, and dryness...three things our hair does NOT need. Which sucks, because most winter hats are lined with one of those fabrics. You must get a satin-lined hat, and here's why. Satin, as I'm sure many of you know, brilliantly maintains hair moisture, keeps it sleek and shiny, and protects hair from tangles and breakage (my hairstylist friends even insist that satin helps make curls last longer). All this, and it still allows your scalp to breathe, which is muy importante for fabulous hair.

I'm deeply obsessed with Eugenia Kim Sammy Wool Trapper Hat ($161), a darling boucle situation with patent leather piping...that's completely lined in satin! Yes, it's a little pricey, but we spend so much on our hair, why not splurge on the day-to-day upkeep? Or, instead try the satin-lined, faux fur Woolrich Anchorage Hat ($40)--it's a tad "earthier" than the other, but you'll save a few bucks.


I'm also j'adoring Eugenia Kim Equestrian Hat ($177)! Eugenia's really doing it this year, isn't she? Anyway, this Sienna Miller-ish hat is terribly chic on blustery days, and yes, it's fully lined in satin. For a cheaper alternative, try the magical Melton Wool Newsboy Hat ($19). Totally cute, totally satined-out.

Happy Martin Luther King Day!!
Tia

PS...While we're on the subject, I received this question from Miss Tracey: "Yes, we are supposed to use satin scarves but most ladies I know use the synthetic drugstore variety. Is there a significant difference between "faux" satin and the real satin? And do you have a recommendation for a good night time wrapping scarf?" Well, Tracey, my experts tell me that, although clearly not as fabulous as the real stuff, drugstore satin is perfectly safe for your hair. I'm a fan of Satin Wonders Satin Hair Cap ($14).

12 Comments:

Blogger Mikaela said...

Love the 2nd hat.

P.S. I sleep on silk pillowcases from Dreamsack - good for hair and skin!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, this post was right on time. I always knew wool was bad for the hair but I thought I was doing something by avoiding wool and buying acrylic hats. I immediately bought the Melton Newsboy hat (reminds me of my house music applejack hat wearing high school days). Between this and the Wen my hair will be Fab by springtime Thanks!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia...or any other beauty mavens cruising the comments:)

I'm 30 and I notice some "creases" on my neck. Now, I know they can't be wrinkles( can they?) ANy suggestions a low budget friendly cream for these "crease" to disappear? Thanks!

Jamie

3:59 PM  
Blogger Livy said...

Hey cool blog! Check out mine!
http://ideasfromlivy.blogspot.com/

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks bunches for the response, Tia! I'll check out your recommendation for the satin pillowcase...and that equestrian hat is such a cute look;)

6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That Equestrian hat is calling my name. Too bad I live in Fort Lauderdale, Fl...

HI Livy! I left a comment on your blog. Check mine out at styleforme.blogspot.com

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MLK would have wanted an African American blogger to acknowledge the fact that without him there would be no you. He deserved more than a 'witty' tagline on his day.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nia please get the stick out your butt.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Tia Williams said...

Yes, Nia. Do.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to help (I hope) clear up the satin confusion. Satin is actually a weave, not a fabric. So satin can be made of polyester or silk for example. Silk satin is softer and made of natural fibers, polyester satin being made of man made fibers is less likely to wrinkle for instance. Both can therefore be "real" satin but silk satin is usually more expensive and often more delicate. Hope this helps!

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia you're the best! I too started using satin pillowcases a couple of years ago. I've noticed a big difference in my hair and skin. No more pillow creases in my face in the morning. I went to a site that ahd a whole page about the benefits of sleeping on satin. They also had an amazing selection of pillowcases and also travel pillows that were also great for your hair. If you're interested, their website is http://www.atouchofsatin.com Let me know what you think!

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home