Friday, July 15, 2005

Meet Iman: Supermodel, Entrepreneuress, and SYB Guest Editor!

Darlings,
I’ve always dreamed of being a glamorous woman. It all started when I was eight years old and told my Aunt San that I was ugly—and she told me to hold on through the awkward phase because when I grew up I’d look EXACTLY like early 80s actress, model, and former Miss Ohio,Jayne Kennedy. Jayne Kennedy!!! She wore a sexy candy-cane striped leotard in her own workout video!! Could my life one day be tinged with such fabulosity? At that tender age, I began reading all of Judith Krantz and Jackie Collins’ books, those shoulder-pads-and-sex-filled epics starring gutsy, lusty broads and the rich, rakish scoundrels who loved them. I’LL TAKE MANHATTAN, SCRUPLES, CHANCES AND LUCKY, are the reason I moved to New York City! I wanted to be one of those glitzy glamour queens with careers in magazines, photography, or fashion. Of course, these characters were all white, so I was going to be the “black version” (one of the main reasons I’m writing novels about black It-girls…why should the next generation have to dream of being anybody’s “version” of fabulous?).

You can imagine my glee when I actually made it to Manhattan and landed the glamorous job: Elle’s associate beauty editor! And it was a VERY good look—fashion shows, industry parties, free blowouts at the swankiest salons on Madison Ave. I saw my byline in the world’s biggest fashion magazine every month (not to mention, I finally resembled Ms. Jayne Kennedy). What? You couldn’t tell me SHIT.

But inside, I was a tad lost. As the only black beauty editor at a mainstream publication, I ran into some...situations. Like, I’d have a phone relationship with a publicist, and when we met in person I'd get the "oh, she's BLACK!" face. Like clockwork, the “you go girls,” and “uh-huh girlfriends” would tip-toe into conversations. Or once, a celeb colorist ignored my protests and left my highlights on way too long (hello? relaxed hair?!). I was horrified, not only that this uber-famous salon hired a chick unskilled at treating a variety of hair types (do we not have money for $300 highlights? okay, mine were free, but still)--but because I WENT BALD. Oh, and then there was the drama about my spring makeup story, where I'd included shades for each skin tone instead of saying, for example: "get the new red lip with Revlon Cherries in the Snow"--advice that would leave anyone not Cindy Crawford's complexion resembling H.R.Puff 'n' Stuff or wasting forty-five minutes in Sephora figuring out the right red for them (of course, these days most women's mags have caught on...duh). At times, I thought it would be easier to just be a “ version” of a white beauty editor—you know, sans any issues or distinguishing features. Like the white girl’s token black friend in the movie. Like Lisa Turtle on “Saved By the Bell” (she never made a fuss about having to always take Screech to dances, while all the others had dates). Don’t get me wrong, I had a great time, and God knows making change ain’t easy. Looking back, I just needed guidance and inspiration from a black beauty chick who’d done it pre-me.

Folks, it blazed into my life in the form of my first MAJOR story assignment—a profile of Iman and her new product launch, I-IMAN Makeup! I’ll never forget the first time I met her: I was an anxious 24-year-old sweating through my brand-new Chloe blouse, over-the-moon and terrified. Iman flung her office door open and as God is my witness, at 10am on a Tuesday, she was sporting the vampiest scarlet lipstick, an oversized leopard print hat, and skin-tight black leggings that would flatter roughly three people in the world. Friends, she was four months pregnant. “You look Somalian!” she trilled, kissing me on both cheeks. I fell in love. Here was a real-live, high-powered, glamour goddess of Jackie Collins proportions—AND SHE WAS NO “VERSION.” The real epiphany came when Iman pointed out that as black women in beauty we had the unique power to change America’s beauty standards—as a model in the Breck Girl Seventies and by creating makeup lines for women with skin of color (from African and Middle Eastern to Asian and Latina), she certainly broke a gazillion barriers. Power. My job, my words suddenly had PURPOSE—no more of that Lisa Turtle shit. And power, well, that’s real glamour, no? I finally felt like the woman eight-year-old Tia wanted to be. From that moment, I claimed Iman as my Fairy GodModel, and she’s been the sexiest mentor a girl could ever hope for.

And this week, she’s “Shake Your Beauty’s!” Guest Editor!! In place of Tia’s Top Ten list, I begged Iman to give us an insider peek into her five favorite products from her IMAN Cosmetics collection (for stores and more info, click on www.imancosmetics.com). So sweet, right? I’ve tried them all…here, in her own words, she explains why you should, too.

xoxoxo,
Your Faithful Beauty-Shaker, who, after this lengthy post, has developed carpel-tunnel syndrome.

IMAN’S TOP FIVE FAVORITE PRODUCTS, IMAN COSMETICS
1. TIME CONTROL SLOUGHING GEL: "This exfoliator is divine! Gentle enough for the body and face, it leaves even the flakiest skin impossibly silky—essential to achieving the smoothest, most streak-free faux or real tan."

2. CORRECTIVE CONCEALER IN SAND, CLAY, EARTH (light, medium, dark): "A heavy face of foundation is incredibly dated, plus it’s way too hot for all that drama! Its all about swiping this flawlessly blendable cover-up on problem areas and calling it a day. So clean."

3. SHEER FINISH BRONZING POWDER IN SAND, CLAY, EARTH (light, medium, dark): "I use Clay all year round, but absolutely nothing beats it in the summertime. Brush it along cheekbones, forehead and chin for a hint of sunny sparkle."

4. LUXURY LIQUID BRONZER: "Nothing says “I’m rich and fabulous and do nothing but sunworship all the livelong day” than sunkissed shoulders, legs, and everywhere in-between. Brilliant on all skin types".

5. LUXURY LIP SHINE IN SANGRIA: " This glimmering, golden-orange gloss will have you and everyone else positively tipsy. And it looks stunning on virtually every skintone. Ole!"

10 Comments:

Blogger Gold Pink Leo said...

I completly understand how you feel. I am a young college student and I am searching for my fairy. I live in Chicago and I wish that I could find someone that can be my mentor. I want to be glamorous and successful in life. Knowing someone that has been through it all makes the dream seem more reachable. Wish me luck...

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to see that Iman was your guest editor this week!! I can't being to tell you how much I love her!!!!!!! LOL

Iman was the first makeup line that I used and I didn't look like I was grey (to quote my mother).

Thank you for inviting her to come and share with us. (By the way, I am so addicted to your blog. LOL)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

Iman is beauty. I was the first one of my friends to use her makeup...not dissing the other one that was made for women of color...but I couldn't always wear theirs because it would break me out.

Thank you for this post and reminding me of a product that I still think doesn't get as much prop as it should.

Thank Iman for using her influence to bring a product that's complimentary for our skin tones.

2:37 AM  
Blogger DivaSoulSistaHuneyChil said...

I felt the same way as A struggling princess did till I read Accidental Diva.

Tia is definitely my mentor and I will continue to read anything and everything she publishes.

I am a junior PR major attending Howard. I want to be a designer and involved with the fashion/beauty/writing world. I find inspiration reading books about black women who have true careers in those fields and they are being respected for what they do.

11:02 PM  
Blogger DivaSoulSistaHuneyChil said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia,

Great post - - really!

Now, who must I sleep with to get Page Six to acknowledge the greatness that is Shake Your Beauty?!?! Today's edition mentions blogs by beauty editors at Ladies Home Journal & Fashionweekdaily.com but has nothing about YOU! Shameful.....

Speaking for the straight guys who read your blog (all three of us), I have a request. My anniversary is next month - - we'll celebrate 7 years of married bliss. How about a "Tia's Top 10" list of beauty gift ideas for guys to give to their S.O.?

xoxo,
Todd from Mom's office

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also understand how you feel, being a black female engineer in a world of white men, it has been a very interesting ride. Some good, some bad, and some way ugly!

I was lucky enough to meet Iman when she first launched her line. I still have pic that she signed.

She was divine.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR FOUNDATION AND MAKE-UP, BUT HAVE TROUBLE FINDING STORES WHO CARRY THE IMAN LINE. I LIVE IN THE PHILADELPHIA AREA AND MANY OF THE J C PENNEY STORES THAT SOLD THE LINE HAVE GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. CAN YOU HELP ME FIND A LOCATION CONVENIENT TO THE NORHTWEST SECTION OF PHILA., PA.? THANK YOU.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the indoor tanning industry and we are actually starting to see more and more black people tanning.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情人歡愉用品,情惑用品性哥,情人用品性哥,情趣用品,AIO交友愛情館,情人歡愉用品,美女視訊,情色交友,情人用品性哥,視訊交友,辣妹視訊,美女交友,性愛,嘟嘟成人網,按摩棒,震動按摩棒,微調按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,逼真按摩棒,G點,跳蛋,跳蛋,跳蛋,性感內衣,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,情趣娃娃,角色扮演,性感睡衣,後庭區,SM,潤滑液,情趣禮物,威而柔,香水,精油,芳香精油,自慰,自慰套,性感吊帶襪,情趣用品加盟,情人節禮物,情人節,吊帶襪,辣妹視訊,美女交友,情色交友,成人交友,視訊聊天室,美女視訊,視訊美女,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友,視訊聊天,AIO交友愛情館,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人網站,AIO交友愛情館,情色,情色貼圖,情色文學,情色交友,色情聊天室,色情小說,七夕情人節,色情,A片,A片下載,免費A片,免費A片下載,情色視訊,情色電影,色情網站,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,美女視訊,視訊美女,美女交友,美女,情色交友,成人交友,自拍,本土自拍,情人視訊網,視訊交友90739,生日禮物,情色論壇,正妹牆,正妹,成人網站,A片,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,AV女優,成人影片,色情A片,成人論壇,情趣

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home