Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sessilee and Saran Wrap


Hey Ladies,
So, yes, it's Fashion Week! And sadly, no, I won't be bringing you SYB's bi-annual Fashion Week Beauty Wrap-Up. Since I can't imagine lugging La Lina around to the shows (all those lights! The noise! The fashionista germs!), I won't be able to give you my most comprehensive beauty overview. That said, I am checking out a couple shows, so I'll be offering you my two cents here and there. So far, I'm OBSESSED with the hair at Carolina Herrera (above, as flaunted by pouting up-and-comer, Sessilee Lopez). It's just so soft and romantic, you know? Totally timeless. Superstar hairstylist Orlando Pita created the loose waves by wrapping small sections of hair around a 2 inch curling iron, and then shaking it out. But first, he coated the ends of the hair--JUST the ends--with T3 Plump ($8.99), a heat-activated texturizer that helps the curl retain it's bounciness and shape under the crazy hot lights. Kinda smart, actually--I never thought of using a volumizer to help keep my curls (I mean, if anything I'm all about sleek-ifying my hair, not amplifying it). I fully plan on employing this trick when I rock the waves!

Speaking of tricks, I just discovered a fabulous one! I'm actually kind of embarrassed to bring it up because, the more folks I share it with, the more I've come to understand that I'm the only person on Earth who'd never heard of it. Every season, style powerhouse Glam.com hosts a suite at the Library Hotel around the corner from the Bryant Park Tents. It's a cozy little nook to hang out, get mani/ped's, and gossip with bloggers and editors in-between shows. Anyway, my friend Julieta from Glam hadn't seen La Lina yet, so I dressed my lil nugget up in baby Guess jeans, stuck a bow in her hair, and shamelessly showed her off while mama got a pedicure! When it was done, I expressed concern about getting creases in my pedi when I put back on my socks and boots (damn those cold weather pedicures). Well, the manicurist looked at me like I was insane. "Don't worry," she said, wielding a roll of Saran Wrap like a mighty sword. "After your nails dry, we wrap them up and THEN you put on your socks." WHAT? Did you know this? All these winters, I've lurched home from the nail salon in those flimsy flip flops, getting all kinds of frostbite! Okay, so you probably already knew the Saran Wrap trick, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention it.

I risk humiliation because I love you.
xoxo,
Tia

18 Comments:

Blogger 1969 said...

*sigh* You, the beauty guru didn't know about wrapping feet in sran wrap? LMAO!!!! LOVE IT.

I bet La Lina was adorable. It's a sad state when your babyhas been to Fashion week and I haven't.

Yay for pampering!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I didnt know about saran wrap.

Pics of the baby please.

3:23 PM  
Blogger TNDRHRT said...

You're not the only one, Tia. I'd never heard of the Saran Wrap trick, either. I risk my toes falling off during the winter months when I go and get pedis or else I sit forever in the salon til my toesies are absolutely, positively dry. Then I put on my shoes.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

I didn't know about that either! Wow, what a great tip! You must post new pics of Lina!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah the saran wrap trick is old. I got hip to it in my high school days: most Korean nail shops do it lol

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea either! Great tip!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of the Saran Wrap trick and obviously my nail tech hasn't either!!

Thanks for the tip

12:43 PM  
Blogger Yannize said...

I have quite the issue that I couldnt go to the Glam suite cuz I was coming back from upstate and missed you and the baby!! boooooo

yannize
www.styleammo.com

3:04 PM  
Blogger Ebony said...

OK, I sooooo didn't know about the saran wrap trick and I am grateful that you risked humiliation, because I'm sure you have saved me some frostbitten days in the near future.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

You have taught this grasshopper something. For I didn't know about the saran wrap trick.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saran wrap - who knew? I do my own nails, but I'm going to give this a try so that I can go to bed and not worry about smudging up my nails before the morning light. Thanks for this.

Ditto - new baby pics please!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Mlle M. said...

The first time I experienced the Saran Wrap treatment was at Z Beauty Lounge in San Francisco. Just a couple months ago! Never before. It worked great AND it kept my toes warm too.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Calming Corners said...

Great tip! thanks for the post.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Pretty makes the day go faster said...

Thanks for sharing the saran trick..Im actually home giving myself a mani pedi but I think it will come in handy- certainly never knew it. The saran wrap trick I know is for wrapping your hair and its awesome but Ive seen a youtube video on that so I guess that one is well known.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, I didn't know about the saran wrap trick either...that is too funny!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I slather my nails in cuticle oil and that helps too without the saran wrap feel!

11:26 AM  
Blogger LadyJMPH said...

I never knew that about Saran Wrap!!! But then again, I do live in Florida......

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So grateful to have learned about it. I'm a Michigander/Bostonian and I don't even bother with polish in the winter for that very reason.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home