Sunday, February 03, 2008

Who's Better Than You?


Hey girls,
When that tabloidy, badly reported NYTimes article came out, I felt nauseous the entire day. I can think of few worse things than being publicly insulted--and one of them is having a picture of you, your dog, and your house illustrating a story about swag-hungry opportunists, above a caption reading "Mascara Made Me Do It." All the bloggers mentioned in the piece were mortified, Lancome was furious, but you know what? Your flurry of supportive, pom-pom waving, we-love-you-anyway emails truly made me feel 100% better. Who's better than my SYB Babes? NO ONE! I really adore you gals, and I thank you. Which is why I wanted to call your attention to Philosophy Thank You Fragranced Shampoo, Bath and Shower Gel Duo ($24)! When someone really wows you with their thoughtfulness, get creative! Flowers die, thank-you notes are cliche, darling...but in my experience, everyone LOVES bath stuff. And the "Thank You" gift box really drives your sentiment home, don't you think?

FYI, Philosophy Congratulations Bubbly 3-in-1 Shampoo, Body wash, and Bubble Bath($24) is super-adorable, too. Perfect for new moms, graduates, your BFF that landed the job you really wanted...

In other news, it's Fashion Week! And, as many of you know, I'm now the Senior Writer for The Daily, the insidery mag chronicling each day of Fashion Week (it's exclusive to the Bryant Park tents, or I'd suggest a subscription!). It has a wildly popular website counterpart, FashionWeekDaily.com, and my job is to write reviews for the website AND the mag. My first stabs at legit fashion writing have been hilar. It's basically beauty writing, except for I'm challenged to figure out twelve different ways to say "modern!" Check out my super-haute fashion show reviews here!


As usual, I'm reserving my grande statements about Fashion Week beauty until it's all over, but I'd love to introduce you to one of the week's hottest new faces. Jourdan Dunn. It's only the third day of FW, and this elegant Brit's already walked in a bunch of hot shows (there she is, slinking away at Costello Tagliapetra). Do your thing, pumpkin!!
xoxo,
Tia

PS: I keep forgetting to say this, but I'm nominated for a Fabbie Award...vote for me on the right!!! Only if you think I should win, of course :-)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really very nice blog that u have there, Looking for some more updates.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Just discovered your blog! Fab!!! i have recently become obssesed with make up and this have been a prayer answered for the make up gods!! i just read all your posts from the beginning (Boring sundays. Not interested in the superbowl...)and im hooked. i realized i had to keep reading once i read a post about the fact that you play around with make up instead of trying to go back to sleep when you wake up in the middle of the night! THATS ME!! keep up the good work!!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Calming Corners said...

I am glad that you feel better just know you are wonderful at what you do. Words can be powerful on the soul esp when it is personal. Actions speak louder than words, and your actions truly trump the negatitivy that is being said. You have a great career, from what I see on your blog a beautiful family and extended family of readers, fans and supporters. You have paved the way for many young writers and given us all hope. Be blessed and stay encouraged.

8:34 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

I love Philosophy products and you are dead on...they make fantastic gifts.

As for that negative article.....forget them. Keep doing you Tia!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Lipgloss Luvah! said...

Kinda OT: This is formerly Lipgloss Whore. I just wanted to let you guys know that I've moved my blog to one called Makeup Your Mind (thanks in part to a vengeful roommate), so I'd really love if you guys could take a look at it and give me your comments and input.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

Champers body wash? Sounds delightful!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Baby Girl said...

I'm so happy that you can get Bubbly in a large size now. It smells wonderful!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Yannize said...

here is my take on the nytimes article: even though I am sure there are people who do the beauty blog thing for the freebies, it is not fair to assume that the whole population of beauty bloggers have that intention in mind when they decide to spend countless hours reviewing products, writing about them, attending events, and making their blog a brand that they and their readers can believe in and trust. The amount of time I put into AMMO, and I'm sure you feel the same, Tia, is so that the people who read you consistently never lose sight as to why they have included you in their daily life.
And that, NYT, trumps some damn free lipgloss.

Yannize
styleammo.blogspot.com

4:16 PM  
Blogger matt williams said...

Jourdan Dunn has been called the nexthot thing for a minute. I like Channel Iman but its time for another blk model to share the throne with Channel. I also like Kinee Diouf, chic is fly and very photogenic.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK several things:

1. I've never known this girls name (Jourdan)...I kinda like her and its good to see a fellow dark skin diva walkin' down the runway

2. Pay no mind whatsoever to that NYTimes article. They just want to talk about people other than themselves. I love your blog-it's hard to find a blog out there for and by women of color. (I took the info about the relaxing conditioner thing..thanks!).

Haters...they gonna hate..hmm

1:03 AM  
Blogger shani-o said...

Hey Tia, I meant to say that article was utter garbage. I was a journalism major at HU, and writing like this is what turned me away from newspapers. Writers have a story they want to tell, and they manipulate the truth to tell it, instead of telling the story that's really there.

I'm not much of a beauty/makeup girl, but I do love your blog! It's so important to have a place like this for women of color! Keep it up!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home