Thursday, October 05, 2006

Trends are stupid!

RANDOM ANTM QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"When they mess with a child of God, they've got trouble on their hands. You tell them, 'I am a Princess of the Throne.'"
--Wack Monique’s mom

Hey Pretty Girls,
Okay, who’s THRILLED that Monique got kicked off ANTM? I’m sorry, but she’s such a jerk—and in such an astoundingly unimaginative, tacky way. I mean, there are many girls I don’t love, but I’d never rub my dirty panties allover their bed. Or pretend to pee all over someone else’s property because, dammit, I want it. I do kind of love how, after she commits these deeply dumb acts of terror, Princess of the Throne curls up with her Bible for some alone time. Kind of like our president, no?


Hey, guess what? The lovely ladies of Heart & Soul magazine profiled me in their current Oct/Nov. issue (that’s me, left). As usual, I’m running my mouth about trends and things…oh, that reminds me! After my Fashion Week post, I received a very thought-provoking comment from Glib Gurl. She said: “I wear whatever looks good on me without paying attention to "trends." Don’t get me wrong - you won't see me rockin' 80s blue eyeliner, but when it comes to these new trends -- baby pink lips, bronzed skin, etc. – I’m more apprehensive. What about just sticking with "what works" for you?”

Guess what, GiGi? We’re totally on the same page! Trend reporting is all about keeping you in the loop about what’s hot and new and sexy…so you’ll have the tools to help figure out what works for you. You know? You certainly don’t have to follow every trend (or ANY trend, for that matter). If there’s one thing I’m totally against, it’s the Beauty Victim, i.e. the girl who wears every single trend all at once, whether it’s cute on her, or not. For example, Beyonce’s blonde hair is yummy, but it would totally wash me out. And I adore Nicole Ritchie’s swoosh of black liquid liner, but it invariably makes me look very “I vant to suck your blood.” So, GiGi, my advice is to ALWAYS stick with what makes you look your best, pink lipgloss be damned.

Of course, a little bronzer never hurt nobody.

And now, it’s time for mama’s going to solve some of your most baffling beauty conundrums! Listen closely, and take notes. You know I love you and would never steer you wrong. I’ll be back next week, with tales from my beautiful sister Devon/Brownie’s fabulous Washington DC wedding!

Love,
Tia

YOUR TOP FIVE QUESTIONS OF THE WEEK:

QUESTION:
“Congrats on your write-up in Allure! I looked at the Philosophy concealer kit [which was mentioned in the article], and how on earth do you blend the colors to get your shade? It looks so advanced, but it seems like it would be great once you get it down.”
--Toni
ANSWER: You girls were obsessed with concealer this week (Toni, Gina, and J. Lenoir all begged me for coverup answers)! Well, as I’m constantly saying, PHILOSOPHY COLOR CORRECTOR KIT IN DARK ($25) is my favorite, favorite, favorite. It comes with three brilliant, yellow-based shades that somehow manage to compliment the fairest to the deepest brown complexions. And finding the right shade is actually insanely easy: Just dip the tiny brush into the colors and mix on the back of your hand until it disappears (add more of the palest hue if you’re lighter-skinned, and more of the deepest shade if you’re dark-skinned)…then apply on dark spots. Flawless!


QUESTION:
"Does anyone know of any good products for scars?"
--Lisa
ANSWER:
Okay, here’s the thing about acne scars. They’re really not going to disappear without laser surgery or a gross process called punch excision, which involves suturing the edges of the scar together (eww). But there ARE topical products that reduce the appearance of scars, like PERFEKT SKIN PERFECTION GEL ($57.50). It ain’t cheap, but it’s totally worth it—it’s blended with Alpha Lipoic acid, which magically fills-in scars and uneven skin textures, making skin look ridiculously smooth. The super-lightweight, non-pore-clogging gel also has vitamins A and E, which help prevent future skin damage. You can’t go wrong!!


QUESTION:
“Do you know if there are any good, effective products out there to get rid of blemishes on the body?”
--Tiffani
ANSWER:
What sucks harder than pimples on your back, chest, arms, and stuff? Luckily, there are some great body washes out there containing salicylic acid, the zit zapper found in facial acne meds--but sometimes it takes Cirque du Soleil-level flexibility to scrub some of those hard-to-reach places, like between your shoulderblades. Which is why I’m wild about NATURE’S CURE BODY ACNE TREATMENT SPRAY ($5.99)!! It comes with a special pump that sprays from any angle (even upside down), to treat zits practically anywhere on your bod. Use after every shower, and Tiffani, I swear you’ll see a difference in a week.


QUESTION:
“What would you recommend for a mascara for sensitive eyes that isn't Kiss Me? It just doesn't give me that "oomph!"
--Jocelyn
ANSWER:
Oh Jocelyn, that’s SO the problem with sensitive mascara. Too often, while they don’t irritate eyes, they also don’t provide much in the way of lash drama, either. Thank heaven for DU WOP LASH LACQUER ($18)!! Even though it’s totally resin-free and contains no harsh chemicals, it’s a volumizing, lash-lengthening formula. And that’s not all—the dual-ended mascara comes with a water-resistant topcoat that’s fabulous if, as is the case with most sensitive eyes, you tear up easily. And yes, I realize I seem to rave about a DuWop product in every post, but I can’t help it if they’re on the cutting edge of all that is fabulous!


QUESTION:
“My hands and feet are extremely dry and ashy. I would prefer not to use oily lotions that make it impossible to grip anything. Any suggestions?”
--Jo Avis D. Green, aka “FoxyHustle”
ANSWER:
If ashiness is un-foxy, greasiness is even worse. And while most hardcore body butters leave you all Vaseline-y slippery, CLINIQUE DEEP COMFORT BODY BUTTER ($23.50) disappears faster than one-night-stand the morning after. I use this super-rich, utterly luscious body cream all over—on knees, elbows, hands, feet, wherever. And it comes in this enormous tub that lasts forever. I’ve had mine since 2003…is that wrong?

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia, what do you suggest for
Stretchmarks?

4:07 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Wow, Congrats on the Heart and Soul article. I think it is one of your best features thus far...the layout is a fab and you can tell the interviewer really read your book and crafted her questions accordingly. BUENO!!!

And Yes, Monique sucked “royally”! She was making us brown girls look bad.

Keep spreading your joy to the masses.

-S

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Monique was crazy. I don't think that she should have been booted, though. She is just going to blame it on her sickness instead of on her lack of talent!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia,

Love your blog... was wondering if you had a recommendation for an exfoliating scrub (I have normal/oily skin)... let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Team Shake Your Beauty,

I use the Clinique Butter. It is grrrreat!!! I use also purchase the tube. It is well worth the money!!!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I danced a happy jig when Monique was booted. That girl was CRAZY. Finally, my skin is clear and almost devoid of black marks. What can I do to control the oiliness? I have tried blotting papers, matte gels, translucent powders (to no avail)vand I'm ALWAYS shiny.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips Tia! I keep hearing about the Dominican spots in NY for great blowouts! I live in the city of wind (Chicago) so does anyone know of any such spots here in the Chi?

12:54 AM  
Blogger Glib Gurl said...

I've been quoted - I'm famous! *happy dance*

I will have to check out that DuWop mascara . . . .

5:58 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Tia...best of luck to your sister with the upcoming wedding.

Thanks for another round of great products.

Can you recommend a moisturizer for someone with acne prone skin that won't dry you out?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tia,
I just got my new Heart&Soul in the mail yesterday(I'm so glad their back!) and when I saw your page I screamed and said,"I know her!" My mom was like "did she go to college with you?"and I said,"No she has a beauty blog"and moms said,"Oh Lawd, there are more like you?" LOL

Any way,I'm glad Monique's arse is gone too. I mean she made me not even want to watch the show.

Have fun at "Brownie's" wedding!

J

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm usually so excited to see a fellow Chicagoan on TV, but as for Monique...Chicago or not....that chick NEEDED to go. That was one of the most satisfactory eliminations ever on top model.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mizani ThermaSmooth straightening system is being sold at Ulta now! I saw it on the shelf and remembered your post and bought it. I tried it and it's as awesome as you said it was. I'm growing out my relazer and right now and am not really ready to cut my hair short again. My newgrowth to relaxed ratio is about 40/60, which could be scary. My Chi flat iron has saved my life, but with this Mizani system, I'd say my life is pretty much changed forever. Thanks!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Tia,

I've been a long time fan of your beauty sensibility since reading about your hair dilema in a not so recent Elle article. You recommended Textures and Tones and my hair could not stop thanking you afterwards!

So as my FAV beauty fairy, I'm sure you know about the outrageous demand for the Limited Edition black Chanel nail color! I saw prices on e-bay that could pay my rent for 2 months! Anyway, I was just curious if you had any recomendations for a more practical alternative to Chanel...I guess something that could offer the same coverage and longevity...

My hair and I thank you much!

10:56 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

one more question...LOL

Have you tried anything from the e.l.f cosmetic line? I hear it's pretty decent for $1.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from the Chi also, I was so embarrassed by Monique's antics. Thank goodness the "princess" was booted from her imaginary throne!

U.B.A.(Urbyn Beauty Addict), check out the Yehia salons for your blowout. Downtown, HPk (the one on 51st stays packed)and I think I saw one in Cal City. I do my own but all my friends rave about them. Good luck!

I'm on my way to pick up the new H&S Ms. Tia. Have a ball at Brownie's wedding!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you all notice that Honey Magazine is coming back? www.honeymag.com

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the blowout tips COCO, I've heard good & bad things about Yehias - mainly from other hair stylists so there may be a case of haterade going around! I'll try them out for myself & see. It takes talent to perfect a good blow out on your own "do" - me envious girrrl!

1969 - (fellow Cancer Gal : )E.L.F has some amazing products for $1 - you can practically buy everything on their user friendly site for less than $100 - I love the nail polish remover pads - moisturizing, not-smelly and 1 itzy bity pad can almost take care of all 10 nails - u gotta try it! also Estee Lauder's Clear Difference Advanced Oil-Control Hydrator is really light-weight and won't cause the greasies with no breakouts - love it!

Anonymous - Try Neutrogena's Oil Free Acne Wash 60 Second Mask Scrub as an exfoliant - your skin will thank you. I'm oily/acne prone myself.

Look at me, gettin all carried away on Ms. Tia's site! I'm a beauty addict, I can't help myself... ooh wait! I have a product to recommend for stretch marks - no, no - I have to stop myself ... addictions are so hard to kick! : (

9:29 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

Thanks for the product info on the dry skin products for hands and feet. I have a question. What do you recommend for dry skin period...more specifically the face?

Thanks
Shelia

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon,

Maybe this would work.
http://www.carolsdaughter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=08-0060&dept=1054

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

Maybe Carol's Daughter Sexy Belly could work for you.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Elle* said...

OK, Where did you find "Mahogany" on DVD? I don't have a VHS player and I'll be damned if I have to wait for BET to play it, with a bazillion commercial breaks! Tell me, tell me PLEEEASE!!

BTW, have fun at "Brownie's" wedding!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elle--according to diana-web.com, the Mahogany DVD release has been cancelled :( for unknown reasons. "Lady Sings the Blues" is supposed to come out Nov. 8th and it took so long due to some Berry Gordy vs. Paramount ownership issues. Like you, I want the DVD of Mahogany so maybe they'll straighten out whatever they need to by next year.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know of any natural products of sensitive skin products to get rid of dark marks and uneven skin tone? greatly appreciated

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

Do you like md skincare? I bought the alpha beta pads for the body and not only is it the best exfoliator I have ever used but it is also helping to get rid of the scar on my hip from an accident years ago. I love dr. gross's products and wanted to know if you could recommend anything else from this line?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

As far as body acne goes, I have been using Paulas Choice hair and body wash for over two years now, and have not had any "back-ne" since. I swear by it! You can find it on cosmeticcop.com.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home