Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My Eye Game is Soo Tight!!


Hey Hey Hey,
Okay, so before I begin raving about Lola’s gorgeous wedding and all the delicious beauty moments that popped up during the weekend’s festivities, allow me to first give you a huge, messy, wet, embarrassing, too-much-tongue kiss. Why? Because, were it not for your unflagging support and chatty word-of-mouthiness, Allure magazine—aka, the Beauty Bible—would not have included SHAKE YOUR BEAUTY in their roundup of the country’s top beauty blogs (if you haven’t seen the “Beauty Junkies” article, go pick up the August issue while it’s still on stands!). Seriously, I have no one to thank for this unreasonably exciting honor but you, sweet you. And welcome to all the new readers who found their way to my little lipgloss support group through the article! Repeat after me: At SHAKE YOUR BEAUTY I am safe. Here, no one will judge my late-night brow-tweezing habit.

And now, onto the biznazz. This weekend was gorgeous! One of my oldest and dearest friends in the world, the very chic New York Times culture reporter, Miss Lola Ogunnaike (well, now she’s Mrs. Lola Solebo…don’t you just love the alliteration of all those L’s and O’s?), had just about the most perfect wedding. It took place in our hometown, Washington DC, and the ceremony and reception was just so full of love, so touching, and so RIGHT. You know when two people are so perfect for each other that they start to look alike? Yeah, well, that’s Lola and Deen. Oh, and she was such a stunning bride! Have you ever, with the big, wide, Twiggy-eyes and the pouty, nude lip? If you live in DC, please holler at her makeup artist, Liz, the manager of the MAC store in Pentagon City mall (and while I’m on the subject of DC beauty, if you’re ever needing the shiniest, bounciest hair, look no further than DC’s premier black hairstylist, Bogard at Bo26 Hair Studio —the man should have his hands BRONZED, I tell you).

Anyway, being a bridesmaid, I had two very important jobs. First, I had the near-orgasmic pleasure of doing the bridesmaid’s makeup! We were wearing the loveliest, mint-green, Grecian-inspired gowns—and, surprise, I had JUST the pallette to match. And it’s funny…the five of us ranged in skincolor from golden-tan to the deepest mahogany brown, and I swear to Kevin Aucoin, the lip, cheek, and eye colors I used worked on all of us. Want proof? Check me out, above, and then look at her sister, Harper’s Bazaar intern Nikki, (she’s so living The Hills), left. We’re wearing the exact same green eyeshadow, orange blush, and sheer bronzey lip, and we’re BOTH adorable! My second job calls for a bit of explanation. I have no breasts, and the bust of my strapless dress was quite, um, full. So there was a lot of space in there for Big Day necessities, like Lola’s lip gloss (it was MAC TINTED LIP GLASS IN SPITE over MAC Lip Pencil in Chestnut), blotting papers (see below), and AROMAFLORIA HEADACHE RELIEF INHALATION BEADS, a tiny pouch of lavender-scented beads that I constantly, frantically sniffed to ward off a champagne migraine. I got a lot of strange looks, as I spent much of the night whipping beauty products out of my breasts for Lola’s photo-ops, but it was nice feeling useful.

And now, I feel it’s only right that I fill you in on the exact products I used to make such wildly different-complected ladies all look so effin fab (I also included lower-priced alternatives, too). I know you’re like, but mint-green eyeshadow? When would I wear that? Believe me, we all decided the shimmery shadow was so flattering, that we’d rock it with just about anything (as Lola remarked, “your eye game is sooo tight!”). And it’s got tons of gold in it, so it’s more of a sexy, sheer metallic wash than Kermit-ish. I’ve decided to name the look Mojito Mama, for the obvious green associations, and because it feels appropriately sweet and tropical and sultry. Read, learn, and enjoy. And I heart you to death.

Love,
Tia

TIA’S MOJITO MAMA ESSENTIALS

1.) PAUL & JO GODDESS OF SPRING FACECOLOR POWDER IN VERT DE SENTEUR ($18, far left): Like I said, this gold-infused, shimmery pale green shadow is so delicately gorgeous, so fairy-like ethereal that I’ve been unable NOT to wear it since the wedding on Saturday. I don’t know, something about the color just really wakes up brown skin. With you finger, blend it on just the lid, from your lashes to the crease—and follow up with a pale gold highlighter on the browbone. Finally, line the top lid with a skinny black pencil, and add two coats of blackest black mascara.
OR TRY: MARK CUSTOM PICK EYESHADOW IN DRAGONFLY ($4)


2.) NARS POWDER CHEEK BLUSHER IN EXHIBIT A ($25): Have I mentioned this before? If I have, it’s for good reason. When my friend, the genius makeup artist Sam Fine, whipped out this Crayola-electric orange-colored blush at my author photo shoot, I immediately worried that he’d lost his mind. But he was like, “Trust me bitch! The brighter the orange, the more natural the flush on brown skin.” Sounds crazy, but it’s true. Really, really true. Just dip a big, fluffy brush into the powder, smile, and swirl over the apples of your cheeks. It’s SHOCKING how radiant your skin becomes.
OR TRY: NYX CREAM BLUSH IN ORANGE ($4.99)


3.) COVER GIRL QUEEN COLLECTION LIP GLOSS IN COPPER BLISS ($5.49) layered over PHILOSOPHY THE SUPERNATURAL LIP PENCIL IN CREATION ($12.50): With an eye this striking, you’ve gotta go for a neutral lip, and this combo is genius! The Cover Girl gloss is a light, almost-translucent golden-bronze that makes for the perfect nude lip when slicked over a deeper liner, like this nutmeg-y one from Philosophy. I was worried that the gloss would be too pale for the darker skin tones, but alas, it was divine. It’s all in how much pencil you lay down—it deepens the color. The best part? The gloss has this decadent, pound cake-ish smell that’ll set your world on fire.
OR TRY: BLACK RADIANCE PROFESSIONAL LIP LINER PENCIL IN BRONZE OR DEEP MAHOGANY ($1.99)


SHISEIDO PURENESS OIL-BLOTTING PAPERS ($15.50): Ohhh girls, this is one of those makeup-artist-bag staples I’m so fond of gushing over. Remember when blotting papers were covered in that gross, chalky powder? Shiseido’s sexy little tissues are treated with some magical ingredient that sops up all the oil without destroying your makeup or leaving an ashy film of powder! And the portable package fit ever-so-perfectly in my boobs.
OR TRY: CLEAN & CLEAR OIL-ABSORBING SHEETS ($4.39)

21 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

me first!!

I'm so glad you had a great time at lola's wedding being a bridesmaid four times in one year and half was pain. But I love my chicas. I'm definetly going to hit the MAC counter up for Lola's gloss. It sounds very fab.

J

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my my my Tia...I was wondering when you were going to update! Isn't that MAC lipglass the living end?? The makeup looked great - glad you had a good time!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia! I will have to try your orange blush recommendation. Being the beautiful sephia-skinned mommy that I am...I tend to steer clear of bright colors...but I need to try new things! Thanks!

-Brantoinette

11:53 PM  
Blogger Miss Kim, Product Junkie said...

Hey Tia!!!

Spite is my favorite MAC lipglass. t is the perfect neutral. I'll have to try the CG Queen Copper Bliss. The pictures are very pretty and Lola was a GORGEOUS bride.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I will admit it- I bought some of the Cover Girl Queen Makeup Collection because their spokesmodel is none other than the Plus Size Diva, Ms. Dana Owens!!
But here is my query- Since I am an olive skinned (and much lighter than Queen Latifah) ItaLatina, which color pallete should I be going for?
And I cannot believe you mentioned Kevyn Aucoin! I went to my local Thrift Store to check out some reading material and I found "Making Faces" for a BUCK! Scooped it up and took it home. Can you beleive they made Winona look just like Liz Taylor?!
Besas y abrazos! Muah!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Cece said...

Reading your blog makes me happier beyond belief, truly. Its almost unnatural. But I do have one complaint. Why can we access the archives from June and July? I'm finishing up my drugstore shopping and wanted to re-read the inexpensive finds.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, and love the make-up job on Lola and her sister. I always like to stop by your blog to check out your latest adventure on advice. Although this is no way connected to this entry, I recently completed the NYU Summer Publishing Course and am looking for that first magazine job.

I found out about SPI through one of your earlier postings and just went for, applied and was accepted. It was a great experience, very intense, but I followed through. I've been on a couple of interviews and sent out a lo of resumes. So, hopefully soon I'll be able to write back saying I am working in mags.

Thank you again for your advice,

Dionne

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TICK TOCK, TIA'S BACK!! WOOHOOO
I love those bridesmaids gowns so precious like peppermint patties. All you gals looked gorgeous. Thanks for the recommendations, I'm off to scout some orange blush, who would have thought.. Thanks Tia

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew that orange blush was good, but my friends would always look at me crazy when I pulled out orange blush. Hmmm, who's laughing now! BTW, MAC lipglass = lip perfection in a tube!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your Allure shout out!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

Looks like you all had a great time. I love weddings. My brother got married last month, so love is in the air :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Shannon K-K said...

Hi Tia, love the blog! Found you through that Allure article.

Props to you and glad you had a fab time at the wedding!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you have serious skills w/your make-up application game. Lola was a beautiful bride.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grab a latte & a pillow ladies, .... this is a long one! : )

I first discovered "fabulous Tia" while flipping through "Lucky" mag a few years back. Since then, I've read "The Accidental Diva" - love, love, love!! & watched your success both professionally & personally (congrats on all the career success & the happy marriage & finally....following your heart to resign from Teen People to write full time - talk about tough decision.) (air kisses)

I'm a huge fan & with such little diversity in the Beauty Mag industry, well I'm glad to see all you've accomplished. (hand clap for us brown girls everywhere) You're an inspiration & I enjoy the site & it's good to know I'm not the only 30-something who loves reality shows meant for "ahem - a younger demographic" - (The Hills (where's Stephen), Making The Band (sang Aundrea!!), Think U Can Dance (Allison killed it, Natalie is my fave but Benji's gonna win, I just know it).

Now that I've thoroughly expressed my genuine praise - I have a serious plea for some mucho needed advice... I'm 31, I live in Chicago & after 10 years of working in Telecommunications (profitable but B O R I N G), I realize what I've always known,.... I want to work in the Beauty Industry but I have no experience & no clue where to start! I'm all over everything beauty/fashion from products to mags to make-up artists to reviews (love, love, love reviews), you name it! My problem is that I have no real idea of where to start & exactly which aspect of the industry I am most interested in pursuing.

I would love to work for a magazine, but realistically there's not much opportunity for that in Chicago so I limit my writing to poetry & no one cares if a poem wears lipstick. My dream job consists of testing the latest/hottest/classic time withstanding/most revered & um often rather pricy products on real women for a cosmetic/skincare brand since my favorite thing to do is test out products on my own or hand over new products to a friend to see how she likes it. My favorite beauty mag feature besides the makeovers (who doesn't love a good reveal) is the real tester reviews section (more mags need this) but I also love teaching the importance of great skincare (without it, who cares how much your foundation costs!) By "teaching", of course I mean my sister, nieces, cousins, friends etc. I'm getting an energy boost just writing this...sad huh?

When I hear people talk of "passion & how working on what you love doesn't feel like work", I thought about it for a few years (literally) & eventaully realized what I am truly passionate about! An exciting revelation, I must say, but it was quickly followed by the head scratching fizzle of okay, now what?

So, what do you think I should do? Am I too old to leave a profitable hum-drum gig to start entry level in the industry? I'm not even sure how much potential Chicago has for this field if any at all. Should I start with Beauty School, a make-up counter?? My current free-lance "gig"... yeah right, involves helping my clueless, (gotta love her) tomboy g/f get her skin in "perfect-wedding-pic-shape" for her October wedding along with helping my 16 yr old cousin reverse the "acne-made-worse-by-a dermatologist" before her senior year starts. This kinda stuff is just fun for me but how to turn it into a dream realized - no idea. I keep a computer database of products I love & loathe & I LOVE helping friends/family find whats best for them - but I'm not getting any younger & I know I need to start soon if this is the direction I truly want to take..
next!

Sorry for the long post, I know you're a busy gir but I'd really love some advice. I check the blog regularly but my e-mail address is MSFIT75@AOL.COM. Sooo, any advice 4 moi?

Izleys
U.B.A.

Urbyn Beauty Addict

8:25 PM  
Blogger Elle* said...

So glad you had a great time at the wedding! I'm sure it was beautiful and you all looked fab! But lady, you are giving me so much to put on my beauty wishlist!

Smooches!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you on an Oil of Olay commercial last night! Maybe I'm late on this, but congrats.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Wow, you carried all that great beauty supplies around under your dress. You're a bona fide professional Tia, and this post proves it! Many Congrats to Lola and her new hubby!!! And I love the bridesmates' dresses!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Just found your blog and Im loving it.


Id love to read your novel, looks like fun!

xo

Distressedjeans

http://conversationsfamouswriters.blogspot.com/

http://conversationsaboutfashion.blogspot.com/

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go through these like crazy, so my vote is on the clean & clear (can't beat the price!)

Love your site :)

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redbook wants to know:

What are some of your tips for reducing eye puffiness or reducing sagging skin?

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any other beauty tips for DC area brides? The wedding looked FAB!!

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home