Friday, June 30, 2006

Feelin' Frisky on the Fourth


Hey Girls,
Just a quick post to wish you all a fabulous, un-frizzy Fourth! I can't imagine my vacation to North Cackalacky's Hatteras beach being un-fabulous because I'm in SUCH a sweet mood. Why?

1.) THE BET AWARDS!! Omigod, I'm hyperventilating...I can't breathe...I'm getting all hot and bothered just thinking about the almost-obscenely historical moment that was PRINCE, STEVIE AND CHAKA. The second my Sacred Bizarre Purpleness played the opening chords of "Aint Nobody," I became a woman. It was just crazy. But the whole show was amazing, wasn't it? BEYONCE (uh, wait...I mean Sasha)?!! When she caught the Holy Ghost ("oooh, my new single is the ish!) and flung herself on the floor, writhing and shimmying about--well, I couldn't help but do the same (but my version, somehow, looked very different). The only moment that slightly disturbed me was the Jamie Foxx/Fantasia Barinno Tongue-Down. Gross, get a room.

2.) I'm having a hell of a media week! Check out my profile in the SAINT PETERSBURG TIMES--the writer made me sound a tad pissed-off, but I really wasn't. I just hadn't had sex in two weeks when we did the interview. What? I'm on deadline. Oh, and the fun thing is, the San Francisco Chronicle picked up the story, and they're running it in the Style Section this weekend. Fun times.

3.) YOU GUYS. Some quick shout-outs before we hop in our rental car and head down to NC (yay, Chick-fil-A!!):
* Everyone, join me in wishing Ms. Caliprynses a huge, sexy congratulations for being the first to correctly answer the June/July ACCIDENTAL DIVA trivia question! Yep, as many of you guessed, Billie's "most perfect novel, ever" is Their Eyes Were Watching God. And if you haven't read it, you officially have homework.
* Good luck on your dissertation, Fo'Real in Los Angeles! You wanna know what I've been doing recently, when I need to pull an all-nighter? I throw on Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous" and hop around the room for a couple minutes. Wiiide awake.
* Hey Miss Funkee--I'm so flattered that you got to p. 148 of THE ACCIDENTAL DIVA in one night! Here's hoping you'll be equally as into my second novel...I'm looking forward to giving the damn thing a title, so I'll no longer have to refer to it as "McBlankety Blank."
* CONGRATULATIONS, Zakiyyah, on your Fulbright grant to Malaysia...do your thing, sugar!! Next week, I'll give you tips on what to bring with you. Yeah, I doubt Malaysians are real big on Miss Jessie's curl products.
* A huge gracias and a bigger MUAH to Cece and Bree for answering Anonymous' question about the best face exfoliator. Just so you all know, they respectively chose ST. IVES APRICOT SCRUB (so classic), and QUEEN HELENE COCOA BUTTER NATURAL FACIAL SCRUB (mmm...smells heavenly). You ladies make me fear for my job.
* Coco Fiere--You live for Donyelle on "So You Think You Can Dance?" Well, I live for Mousa. In fact, I'd like to impregnate him, as soon as possible. And I'm glad you revealed your dance background, because I will now exploit you to the fullest. The main character in my teen book--the one about the group of kids that go to New York's High School of Performing Arts--is also a dancer! What are some classic dance steps (ie, Russian leaps) I can throw around in my book, so I'll look authentic?
* Stay motivated to write your manuscript, Miss Bty In & Out (love the name), and always remember--writers write because we HAVE to. We have no choice. Think of it like this: What if a surgeon decided he didn't feel like going to work? Make it that important, Precious, and you'll have your manuscript finished in no time.

I love you guys! Really, thanks so much for reading my silly little beauty blog...I look forward every day to reading your delicious, brilliant comments! Stay beautiful over the holiday weekend, and I'll holler next week :-)

love,
tia

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two post in a week, that beauty blog prayer circle is working! Have a fab fourth!

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo hooo!!! I'm psyched that I received a shout out from the Grand Dame herself . . . hee hee hee. Thanks. Also, have a blast in NC.

Plus, I have a suggestion for hair care. I wear my hair natural and use Ojon products. I'm telling you that their conditioner is especially kissed by the nappy hair gods. My hair is so soft that I can run my fingers through it without as much as a tangle. Have you tried their products? If so, what do you think?

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great fourth! I"ve been reading your blog forever and read your book in a night! couldn't put it down, had to know what was gonna happen!

I too love that you had two blog posts in one week! LOVE it!

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with Brave Lurker...OJON products are the epitome of THE TRUTH. After using the conditioner and styling your hair, the only thing you want to do is rub your fingers through your hair and smell the lingering scent. It is AMAZING! Any other hair care tips for natural sisters trying to grow their hair out?...like me! :-)

HAve a great 4th Tia and I LOOOOOOOVE the book (which I bought when you were at the Harlem Book Fair a couple years ago)! What a good read! Good luck with everything!

1:21 AM  
Blogger | b | said...

Awww thanks, Tia! I enjoyed reading the article on you in SAINT PETERSBURG TIMES. Maybe I'm not quite getting her undertones that you spoke of...I'll read it again, but one thing is I completely am sick of the 'black fiction' category in the book stores/industry ect. as well- it is downright insulting, not to mention- you know what? I will cut myself off here! Lol!(smile)

1:38 PM  
Blogger | b | said...

Have a great vacation!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

Can you recommend an affordable, good hair salon in NYC? I'm very picky about hair dressers since I've had bad experiences in the past. I want to find someone who can give an incredible perm. Thanks.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tia,

Don't forget to hit the Waffle House! I luv Chick-Fil-A. They have milkshakes now.
Question? can u recommend a "reasonable" priced angled brush that's stiff enough for eyeliner application?

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia,
Thanks for the holla...I looove Musa too--he's so yummy (that butt, that grin...and his dancing, too)LOL! Have a great 4th and enjoy some waffle fries for me (haven't had Chick-fil-A since I visited the fam in Tenn a few mos. ago)! I'll drop a few dance terms and explanations ur way soon (fan kicks and so forth)so you can stay on schedule. :) 1-A russian leap is what you see in the Olympics floor routines(Ms. Dawes was the best this move)--it's when both legs are straight out to the sides, tush tucked, toes pointed, way up in the air.

P.S. Rebellebap, check out Sonia Kashuk's brushes at Tar-jay for the angled eyeliner brush (<$10).

3:37 PM  
Blogger Elle* said...

Have an awesome Vacay Tia! I just started reading ur blog like a month ago, so I had to go back and read EVERY SINGLE post (and I did too)and now I have a "Beauty-buy" list a mile long. ABout the Bliss Sleeping Peel, can it be used for legs?

5:53 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Tia:

Love your blog. Have fun eating Chick-Fil-A in NC this weekend.

If you have used Ojon products, please share a review. I do hear great things about them. Ouidad products are also great for curly haired sisters.

I am anxious to try that Mizani treatment you described. Sounds like something I need!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Cece said...

Imagine my surprise at coming back from vacay to a mini shoutout from the BeautyDiva herself. Thanks, you just made my first day back that much more bearable!!
Kisses
Ce

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, im sold on the Mizani (as i look for a salon in NYC). its worth a try my hair literally feels like straw. you could strike a match on my kitchen. its horrible. ive been doing a wavy /curl thing that looks amazing but requires the flat iron every morning. THAT along with the NY heat has left my hair extra crispy.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Tia, you must comment on The Devil Wears Prada. I saw the movie in NYC this weekend and the ad lib from my fellow movie watchers was hysterical! Myrle Streep was awesomely b%#chy, she reminded me of someone I worked for once in NYC. I can’t wait to hear your take on the film.

2:00 PM  
Blogger ::d:e:l:i:g:h:t:f:u:l:: said...

Hey T,

I love the blog. I'm only on page 9 of Accidental Diva and I'm already hooked!!!!

P.S. Can you tell me the proper way to arch my brows? If you do, I'll be your friend forever.. j/k

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Tia, this is my site direct.
XNadine

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home