Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Lotsa talk radio

RANDOM AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
George Wayne: You look like the Queen of Sheba.
Furonda: I've never been to Sheba.
George Wayne: I'm sure you're a lioness.
Furonda: Rroaarr!!
--Bizarre encounter between Furonda and Vanity Fair columnist, George Wayne. It's unclear whether Furonda was being facetious with that Queen of Sheba crack.

Hey Ladies,
Hiii! Oh, you don't know how I miss my pretty girls all week long! Thank God I have your sweet words and hilarious running commentary to keep me giggling, engaged, and sane. As the July 18th deadline for the first book in my teen series approaches, I'd be tempted to run screaming out of the house, naked and crazy-faced, if it wasn't for you encouragement (wait--have I told you about my teen book? Hyperion/Disney approached me to write an updated Fame-ish story about a group of kids at Manhattan's Performing Arts High School! it'll hit shelves in June '07). Speaking of your darling comments, it seems like everyday I get a shout-out from a long-lost person from my childhood who's seen my commercial! What a thrill to hear from the long-ago likes of Jenny Tollus, Kanani Miranda, Mark Shields, Jim, Carrie, and Brandi Kirskey (omigod, you're so taking me back to Bremerhaven, Germany circa 1985...me in coke bottle glasses and mint green Reeboks, you with your Moonlighting fetish)--but SWEETHEARTS, you must leave me your email addresses, or I'll never be able to hit you back and tell you how eternally blessed I feel to have rediscovered you in my feeble old age!! Oh, and do keep the beauty questions coming because next week'll be dedicated to solving todos tus problemas (so hold on just seven more days, Sunges, DD-Nice, Porsche and Stargalcarla!).

Girls. It's almost unnatural, the amount of fun I've been having as co-host of "Wake up with Cosmo" on Cosmo Radio (Sirius Satellite Radio, channel 111)! No jobby-job should be this entertaining, but it is! I mean, can you imagine getting PAID to discuss America's Next Top Model contestant Jade's embarassing and obvious lack of education, the outrageous number of icliterate men out there (and no, I did not mean "illiterate"), Britney Spears' curious lack of maternal instincts, your worst and best "walk of shame" stories, why "Grey's Anatomy's" Meredith is such a slutty neurotic, the least charlie-horse-inducing Kama Sutra positions, the delights of "My Super-Sweet Sixteen," and the various ways to cajole your man into doing exactly what you want in bed (or on the kitchen counter, or in the bathroom at Bungalow 8--however you roll)??? It's good times. And you wouldn't believe the amount of exquisitely juicy beauty nuggets that've popped up during our on-air chats with celebrity stylists, makeup artist, manicurists, Cosmo's own beauty and fashion editors, and on and on. Which leads me to today. Because I think you're so cute (and I realize so few of you actually own Sirius Satellite Radio), I've been keeping a mental note of all the cult-favorite products that've popped up during "Wake up With Cosmo!" conversations, both on-air and behind-the-scenes. Ooh, this stuff is good (wait, that reminded me of the old Al B. Sure song, "Ooh, This Love is So"). Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

xoxo,
tia

P.S....please join me in a round of applause for Chloe, the winner of the "How can Tia Lose Ten Pounds Without Breaking a Sweat?" contest from SHAKE YOUR BEAUTY'S first anniversary post! Miss Genius explained that, in order to lose one pound, you must burn 3500 more calories than you consume, so I have to cut down on calories. She suggested replacing one carb serving per day with a fruit or veggie, drinking a ton of water...and WHOA, I already notice a difference. Chloe, drop me a comment with your email address--can't wait to send you your custom-made, special edition "Billie" lipgloss inspired by the plucky heroine you know so well from "THE ACCIDENTAL DIVA!

TIA'S TOP FIVE BEHIND-THE-SCENES PRODUCT FAVES FROM "COSMO RADIO"

1.) CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY ESSENTIAL OIL ($7.50 for 4 ounces): Okay, I'm usually not one for foodie-scented beauty products. But something deeply transformative came over me when we invited Marie Scologna, owner of Spa Chicks on the Go (a "mobile" spa company! Meaning, Marie and her gang can meet you anywhere--work, vacation, your house--to give you manis, pedis, reflexology massage, whatevah. Brilliant!) on the air to chitchat. Marie was TO DIE--there's a reason her company was asked to set up a treatment room at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival, and starlets like Kelis and Kelly Clarkson are obsessed with her otherworldly fingers. But the added bonus of her visit was that Marie actually gave me and Taylor foot massages while we talked. As soon as she started with all that blissful toe-kneading, I became overwhelmed with a scent so luxurious, so rich and yummily sensuous, I began to stutter. "What it that wondrous fragrance?" I asked her, ever-so-breathily. Turns out, she's been whipping up her own lotion for years, using the following recipe: She adds six to eight drops of this chocolate-raspberry essential oil into a lavender body lotion, shakes the bottle, and voila! The results are so delicious smelling--and not in a teenagery chocolatey way, more in a deeply decadent, sexy-grownup way, if you can dig it--that Marie ended up leaving her prized lotion with me (resulting in my obsession with slathering it on every exposed inch of skin as I ramble on-air). And now, you can make this addictive lotion, yourself!

2.) TED GIBSON HAIRSHEET TREATMENT ($35): Today on the show, we had the pleasure of dishing with Ally, the famed celeb haircolorist from Fifth Avenue's super-fancy Ted Gibson Salon (A-list devotees include the delicious Joy Bryant, Kiera Knightley, Ashanti, and Eva Longoria). When I asked Miss Ally how to protect one's relaxed-plus-highlighted hair from the ravages of summer--ie, sun overexposure, salt water, chlorine--she whipped out an adorable silver packet and slid it over to me. I'm like, what? Turns out, the mysteriously chic little packet contains five absolutely genius, single-treatment sheets, each infused with an amino complex, wild orchid extract and natural botanicals to add moisture, strength and elasticity to even the most overprocessed hair. Here's how it works: In place of a weekly deep-conditioner, simply massage the hair sheet over dry hair once a week, at bedtime. I'm on it like Big Boi's on Kryptonite, ya heard?

3.) ANASTASIA FIVE-PART BROW KIT ($65): Have you guys heard of Anastasia? This woman practically created eyebrow grooming as an art form, okay? From her Beverly Hills salon headquarters, Miss Anastasia has perfected the arches of goddesses like Madonna, Jenny from the Block, Naomi from Anger Management, Sharon Stone, Penelope Cruz, and Jada Pinkett Smith--basically every hottie in Hollywood. And now us normal folk can benefit from her expertise with her top-selling product line! Here's the story: Taylor Streck, my lovely-but-virgin-brow'ed co-host on "Wake up With Cosmo," is terrified to pluck, so I enlisted the help of Cosmo's darling Associate Beauty Editor Andrea Lavinthal to help me convince TayTay to finally go there. She suggested Anastasia's amazing brow kit, which is in the beauty bag of every top makeup artists for a reason--it comes with tweezers, four brow stencils, one duo brush, clear brow gel, and brow powder (choose between ash blonde, brunette, strawburn, and medium ash). The kit is a tad expensive, but its so thorough, so incredibly goofproof, that you'll save millions in salon appointments! At least, that's how I justify it.

4.) LAURA MERCIER TRANSLUCENT LOOSE SHIMMER POWDER IN SUN DUST ($34): Last week, Kate White, the illustrious editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan, threw an almost unbearably glamorous dinner party for the May cover girl, Mandy Moore. The dinner was at La Esquina, the hottest, most impossible-to-get-into restaurant in Manhattan (after you basically show your BIRTH CERTIFICATE to the bouncer, he clicks his fingers and some chick takes you through a secret door, down thru a huge kitchen--very Goodfellas!--and then, whoa! You're in a dark, cavernous, sexy palace...and if you look closely, you can see Sienna Miller and Lindsay Lohan lounging ever-so-chicly in a distant banquette. Not together, of course). Of course, the Beauty Ho was seated next to Mandy's makeup artist (he's also Angelina Jolie's personal beautyfier--he only had GLOWING things to say about her, by the way. Apparently all that I-believe-the-children-are-our-future ish is real), and we proceeded to have a torrid affair over the next three hours, all of it based on a mutual love of bronzer. He raved and raved about Laura Mercier's Sun Dust shimmer, a translucent setting powder with a hint of bronze sparkle that he uses on all his fancy clients, no matter their skin color, for a very subtle radiance. And guess what? The next day, I had my very own Sun Dust waiting for me by my front door--the darling man had sent it to me! I wear it every day now, just a light dusting allover my face after I've applied concealer, and EVERYONE asks me if I've just had a facial or some particularly enthusiastic sex. Good times.

5.) NEUTROGENA MOISTURESHINE LIP SOOTHER COOLING HYDRAGEL IN SHINE ($6.99): Taylor and I just got our pictures taken for the Cosmo Radio website, and being a total control freak, I did my own makeup. But then my lipstick fell in the toilet. I'm serious. So the makeup artist lined and filled in my lips with some lovely nudey-brown pencil, and then layered an insanely juicy, fruity-smelling clear lip gloss on top. By this point, I was asleep (I wake up at 4:30am to be at the studio by 6am, folks), but the amazing fruity goodness of the gloss jolted me awake. I begged to know the name of this Vaseline-slippery, tasty-delicious gloss, and would you believe it was NEUTROGENA?! It's a brand-new collection of sheer moisturizing lip balms that come in fun colors and are infused with real, natural fruit juices. Fabulous layered over your favorite lipstick for a hint of yummy shine.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, you've posted!!! Yeah! I am fiendin' for a subscription to your radio show. Anyhoo, I am off to buy some bronzing powder.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bronzing powder alert! I love just making the skin glow.

P.S. I saw your commercial! Brava!!

10:32 PM  
Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

damn..that cake looks good...

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of bronzing powder, especially Clinique translucent in bronze. I apply it over concealer, but I am going to give my Clinique a break and try this one. That Nuetrogena lip gloss; LOVE IT! Bought five tubes of the same color! I smell a new addiction coming on!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped by to tell you that I tried the Garnier long and strong serum for split ends like you posted and it's LOVELY. What a nice find! Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a perm so when I straighten my hair, the ends can sometimes look a hot mess.

Good call Tia! I really need to hear this radio show. lol!

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...an update! I can finally exhale. I think I need a mailing list to notify me about these joyous occasions to keep me SANE, Tia.

And I'm DYING to hear your talk show.

Until next time...besitos.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so need to look into getting Sirius (sighs)!! That dust sounds delightful, it sounds like a lunch trip to the mall is in order .. Thanks Tia

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia,

Thanks for the tip on the bronzer! I now feel comfortable enough to wear only bronzer since I have clear skin after visiting this fabulous dermatologist in D.C., Dr. Cheryl Burgess at the Center for Dermatology.

I am sure that you've posted this previously, but what concealer do you wear that is not noticeable under such a light dusting of bronzer?


I look forward to your response, and keeping doing your thing!


By the way, I am so happy for you and all of your success. I casually knew your sister Devon while I was at Carolina. She is friends with my old roommate, D'Asia. They also went to Howard Law together.

I look forward to your response.

Katrina
kdennis@kg-law.com

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia,

Thanks for the spa information. As a devoted spa junky, I love all that is spa! So much so that I went back to school and got my esthetician license. Engineer by day esthetician by night. I feel more balanced now. :)

Love the lotion potion! I already have tons of the lavender lotion. In the process of ordering the oils. Heavenly!

Hey if you are gonna talk brows, I can't help but mention Damone Roberts, old friend,

www.damoneroberts.com

Adige

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia, what do you think of this mineral makeup trend. I love Bare Minerals in the winter, but now that it's getting warmer, I'm having a hard time trying to get that glow! I'm going to try the bronzer you suggested, but do you use it instead of foundation, under or over it? Thanks in advance! By the way, have you thought about doing a Podcast for us non Sirius subscribers? Thanks!!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

I need to get my satellite radio back on...sounds like you're having loads of fun.

9:49 PM  
Blogger DivaSoulSistaHuneyChil said...

TIA I need advice!!!!!! OK my boyfriend is coming home from Iraq in two months... I want to look incredible for him... I am a big busted young woman (with the flattest butt a black girl can possess lol I am keeping it real) I am looking for lingerie tips and I need beauty tips galore!

- I need a lotion that will make my skin super soft with out a strong scent! I have those little chicken bumpy things on my arm and I want to smooth them down.
- I just got a pedi and I want to keep my feet super soft too!
- Where can I buy cute lingerie? I have never bought any before and I am a DD kinda girl and I don't want lingerie that looks like my granny wore it on her honeymoon! I need it to be flattering to the booty impaired lol
- Any suggestions for a lip gloss that looks great, tastes great, but isn't goopy I don't want to leave a thick sticky residue behind when I kiss him!
- I want some really great smelling spray for my dreads !

ANY AND EVERYTHING THAT OOZES I AM SEXY BUT NOT ON PURPOSE.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops! i posted this in the wrong place:
woo hoo I won! LOL. I remember wanting Billie when it was first featured in Lucky! tres sexy! My email address is ca.gordon2@gmail.com Tia, I'll be joining you in getting trim very quickly because my graduation is on Friday. So good luck to the both of us. Also, can't wait to read your new stuff, I love Accidental Diva, and have encouraged others to buy it. Can I share a makeup tip with you guys? using NYX black shadow (found at some beauty supply and drug stores), line your eyes with a angled brush for lining - I've done away with my beloved black pencil for this.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Cece said...

Hi Tia, how cool is it that another blog i read gave me a shoutout and somone posted in saying she found my blog through you...and then the obvious happened we all realized we read you religiously!! And if I wasn't so po' (as Oprah said I can't even afford the 'or) I would get Siruis...Maybe they have a friends, family and blog readers discount?? Just askin'.
BTW Luxe I have decided to dedicate the next few posts on my blog to you and try to give my humble opinion on those things. being a bigbootied DD girl myself I think I know a thing or to. And at least this will hold you over till our reiging Queen of Beauty comes backaround.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Okay, the only thing that eased my nerves during David Blaine's crazy bubble stunt...was your lovely commercial in prime time. Though I still can't believe they only gave you 15 seconds!!!! Maybe your popularity will lead to more "commercial success"...your own show maybe. Anywho, I got a sneak peak of Cosmo Radio the other day while at Best Buy (my laptop crashed…AHHHH). I heard something about exercising in a nude colored thong. The consensus was that this is SOOO WRONG (and I agree). I’ll have to wait for the big bucks…before I can become a subscriber! Though as another SYBer suggested a podcast would be nice!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the bumps on the arm, use anything with AHA in it.

Vaseline Healthy body Compexion works well.

How about http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P145701&cm_mmc=us_partners-_-Linkshare-_-datafeed-_-allpdts&_requestid=341525

for the dreads. No build up and a great smell.

Adige

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VIEW ALL PRODUCTS BY Frédéric Fekkai
In case the link does not work.
Frederic Fekkai
Summer Hair - Wash & Wear
This instant shampoo spray allows you to refresh and redo your beach sexy style without shampooing as it provides UV protection.


Adige

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://tddqoods.com/rjst/abec.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://gmniofxo.com/byqy/kibc.html]Cool site[/url]

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://tddqoods.com/rjst/abec.html | http://azmttyjz.com/fkdr/oeom.html

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home