Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Spring-a-ling-a-ling

RANDOM ANTM QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"I know I'm a threat. I'm a strong-ass woman. I'm a soldier sista. Recognize."
--Jade, who is also a "bi-racial butterfly." Sweetie, please.

Hola chicas,
Oh, how INSPIRED I am to talk to my girls today! This past Saturday, I spoke to Howard University journalism students on a panel about breaking into magazines--and you guys were so sweet, graceful, supportive and generally lovely that I wanted to impregnate you ALL (and I was so excited to find that most of you were already SHAKE YOUR BEAUTY fans, that when I got home I checked my "stats" I discovered I have more than a million hits so far!). Huge special gracias to Stacy, Nakisha, Monica, Genae (who I had zero idea was LuxeDivaSoulSistaHuneyChile, in the flesh...hello! If I'd know I was hollering at one of the most dedicated beauty-shakers I would've done an interpretive dance for your ass) for your sweet words of thanks and just your general Howard Hotness. And an even bigger "hollaaa" to Miss Julia (allaboutthepretty.blogspot.com) for showing up at the conference to convince me that I am, in fact, not the Western Hemisphere's bigger beauty psycho (girls, the woman travels to PARIS every year to stock up on hard-to-get makeup and stuff...you have me beat, doll). Not only did Miss Julia put her Houston Neiman Marcus beauty counter chica, Juanita, on to SHAKE YOUR BEAUTY, but she made me all blubbery telling me that I've helped her teenaged nieces realize "it's okay to be brown." Wow. That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do here. Good times, good times.

Ladies, its getting a tad bit warmer this week. After a winter that seemed to be in effect since 1979, I couldn't be more thrilled. Spring is totally the highlight of my year--and my favorite part is getting my flaky, ashy, dull, wack body prepared for tiny mini's, strappy wedges, and teeny tank-tops. I KNOW I'm not alone in this, so I've gathered my three most essential "spring into spring" products to help buff your winterworn skin into a frenzy of radiant, gleaming, suppleness. This is the stuff I whip out every single year to get my spring cleaning on. And, oh, what a difference they make! Jessica Alba, the most glowy girl in Hollywood, will want to slap your face for having such supernaturally stunning skin--I promise.

xoxo,
tia

TIA'S TOP THREE SPRING-INTO-SPRING PRODUCTS:

FACE: Origins Never a Dull Moment Skin-Brightening Face Polisher ($23.50): This is my all-time favorite face product!! Before spring starts, you must exfoliate the layers-upon-layers of nasty, dead skin cells that've built up on your skin's surface over the winter. Now, I hate scrubs with big, harsh grains in them (so bad for my sensitive skin). This face polisher contains nature's most gentle exfoliators--crushed papaya, apricot and mango--all fruits containing yummy enzymes that GENTLY slough off dead skin cells and encourage cell turnover to reveal the radiant, glowing complexion you'd forgotten you had. And I swear, it smells like a smoothie. Love.

BODY: Fresh Milk Bath ($35): This incredibly luxurious, deeply decadent bubble bath (a tried-and-true beauty editor cult fave) was inspired by the milk soaks Cleopatra used to dip in to soften her skin. The ancient sex goddess definitely had it right--milk contains vitamins A and D and lactic acid, all of which work together to give even the roughest skin a baby-soft, deliciously smooth finish. Also comes in nectarine milk, chocolate milk and ivy milk scents...each one more sensual and spa-worthy than the last. Oh, and if you really want to make the scent last, layer on the matching body lotion, too. Mmm, mmm, good.

HANDS & FEET: True Blue Spa Wax On Wax Off ($12.50): If you've had a paraffin wax treatment at a spa, you KNOW how your hands and feet feel afterwards--so soft you never want to wash another dish or scrub another toilet in your life. For the uninitiated, here's how it works: You dip your hands or feet into a heated, creamy wax that hardens like a mask onto your skin, imparting intense moisturization and tons of skin-nourishing benefits. You used to have to pay a small fortune to get this treatment, but now you can do it at home with this paraffin-in-a-jar. So easy, so inexpensive, and the results are positively EPIC. I wouldn't even dream about getting the hottest spring mani/pedi (think coral, by the way) without it.

15 Comments:

Blogger DivaSoulSistaHuneyChil said...

THAT IS HILARIOUS THAT YOU DID NOT KNOW IT WAS ME!!! LOL YOU DIDN'T NOTICE THE CHEESY GRIN... I was so excited, seriously you’re a celebrity in my house (and I have met some but I have never gotten that excited before, except when I met Carolina Herrera! That was like meeting the Dalai Lama of Fashion!) That was why everyone kept telling you how I was fighting for you to be on the panel and I semi-seriously annoyed Ebony (the Chair) to make sure you had everything perfect lol but she was a doll about the entire thing, she knew you were my beauty muse and it was important to me. I can't wait for your new book to come out I think I am going to go rent that movie you sort of based it on. Thanks again sweetie!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*planning the third beauty haul in a week* tia, I JUST saw your Olay commerical! you were beautiful but they could gave you a little color, lipstick, blush what ever. but i understand that is the marketing of Olay. Fresh , clean, understated.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

This blog is so helpful. Thank you, thank you.

In a previous post you mentioned the Bliss Sleeping Peel Resurfacing Gel for leftover acne marks. I'm wondering if there is anything available for all out scars. I have pit marks on my cheeks and would love an at-home way to make them less noticable.

Thank you.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia, I'm so thrilled that I stumbled upon your blog! Honestly, I truly want to become a beauty editor post undergrad. I'll be a junior in the fall, and I have so much to learn. Aside from my passion for the pen and product junkie status, I'm not positive of what qualifies me for the job. Any advice for an amature writer? By the way, I totally cannot post without asking a beauty question. I have naturally curly hair; however, its been pin straight after an egyptian blow out. Is that severe heat damage? Am I going to have to chop my locks off again (GASP!)?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

"This Is Not America's Next Top Best Friend"....LOL You left out the best part!

BTW..thanks for the True Blue Spa Wax...Lovely!

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

I bought the Bliss Sleeping Peel Resurfacing Gel. Spring is coming and I don't need facial discolorations. I'm itching to try the True Blue paraffin wax treatment.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to say that I just copped The Beauty of Color! OMG! I LOVE IT!

I was looking for all kinds of makeup tips and boy did I find them....well written, sassy and informative! TIA I LOVE IT LOVE IT!

I was sitting in BN with the hubby and people kept asking me what I was reading...I was like YOOOO aint it hot :)

9:55 PM  
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

Somewhere...deep in the darkest crevice of my mind...I like Jade..lol

I've gotta try the wax!!!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Spelangel said...

looks like im with everyone else...i HAVE to try the true blus spa wax...cant wait! i am a product junkie...so i LUV your site...thanks for all the good advice...i read the accidental diva and it took me a good week before i connected the book and the blog...it was a great book, enjoyed every moment...

2:41 AM  
Blogger Sweet KeiKei said...

Tia,

I know this is a ghetto question but I have to ask...
The milk bubble bath looks great but for $35, could I buy a gallon of milk and pour that in my bath to get the same effect?

Also, I bought the sleep resurfacing gel and it's working great! I'm starting to get the color back in my face.

AND, I bought the wedges and got SO many compliments. They are a little uncomfortable because I have fat feet but pain is beauty!

Thanks Tia!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

I love your blog -- lots of great info!! I have a question for you (can't find a place for ??s, so sorry if this is in the wrong place). Do you know of any tricks for ingrown hairs & razor bumps that won't turn my skin into dry leather ala tendskin, or feel like fire ants? I'm thinking ahead to the summer.
Thank you so, so much!!!

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out! I emailed you the details about my interview(s). Fingers crossed!

xoxo,
Nakisha

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ms. Tia,

Long time reader, first time poster. I went to Origins to buy Never a Dull Moment and I don't know why but one of the sales people talked me into buying Modern Friction instead, and I must say that it is fabulous! He said that MF was a better more advance product than NDM. I don't know about all of that, but I've been using it for a week now and I can tell the difference. I also brought Never a Dull Moment Face Wash. Just wanted to give you an FYI.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://pzsivjse.com/zpgb/cvuk.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://sstrnsnq.com/qznb/ramh.html]Cool site[/url]

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://pzsivjse.com/zpgb/cvuk.html | http://orsgyxtz.com/uxvz/cbgd.html

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home