Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Mall for one, and one for mall

Hola Muchachitas,
Its Fashion Week! Yes, and your intrepid beauty babe has been flitting about backstage at the shows, sniffing out the sexiest of the sexy new trends for my Beauty-Shakers--that is, when I'm not stealing donuts off the refreshment tables; losing my backstage pass and having to administer smackdowns to the power-mad, be-clipboarded PR chicas; or narrowly escaping being mowed down by a gargantuan, fur cape-swathed Andre Leon Talley. Yep, it hasn't been all stilettoes and air-kisses, let me tell you. But as the shockingly odd-looking designer, Santino, warbles on Project Runway, "lighten up, its just fashion!" Anyway, I'll get into all that in next week's Fabulous Fashion Week Wrap-up post. Stay tuned, miladies.

For now, though, I'd like to tell you something about New Yorkers. Not only do we think we're the center of the universe, we have a dim feeling that the rest of the country is just a tad bit behind us...and I'm just as stridently guilty as the rest of the vintage-wearing, Nolita-shopping, Barneys Warehouse Sale-worshipping flock. We pride ourselves on having access to the hottest boutiques, museums, nightlife...the whole thing. Even something as inconsequential as a bakery (ie, the world-famous Magnolia Bakery that Carrie Bradshaw turned into a mecca for fashionistas with a yen for buttercream frosting) can turn us into snootier-than-thou, “eww-you-buy-cupcakes-from-Entenmanns?” elitists. Its all about exclusivity here, stuff you can get in New York, and nowhere else—you know, the antithesis of mall culture, where you think everyone’s walking around in the same outfit and shopping at the same stores and pretending that a Mini-bon is healthier than the regular size Cinnabon. But you wanna know what the funny thing is? Most die-hard New Yorkers hail from cities named Springfield or Arlington and got their first taste of fashion while working the register at Contempo Casuals. It's true.

Most New Yorkers aren’t even FROM New York. Take me, for example. I've worked at and been fired from so many Gaps and Body Shops throughout the various malls of Northern Virginia, I couldn’t possibly count. I still painstakingly fold my sweaters “the Gap way,” lest the pimple-faced floor manager in my subconscious yank me into the stock room for a talking-to. In ninth grade, me and four of my girlfriends from dance team curled and sprayed our bangs into shellaqued, croissant-shaped puffs and had our portraits taken at Glamour Shots. My second ear-hole was pierced in secret at Claire’s Boutique—the hole has since closed, but whatever. And I’ve always had a small addiction to that insanely tasty bourbon chicken they sell at the Food Court staple to end all Food Court Staples, Manchu Wok (though I’ve always found it suspect that a Chinese fast-food joint would specialize in New Orleans cuisine). All of this is to say that I grew up a mall girl and I’m proud of it. And all it takes is a trip to my hometown, or in this case, my husband’s hometown, to remind myself from whence I came. Last weekend, Chappie the Dog, Adam and I hopped on the Long Island Railroad to visit his family out on Long Island (pronounced Lawn Guyland). And girls, we went to the mall. Smith Haven Mall, to be exact. And mama had an epiphany! Malls are FABULOUS! It doesn't have to be an extravaganza of "sameness." If you approach mall-shopping in the same way you do sample sale or vintage shopping—you know, combing the racks for that one special piece, that totally unique, delicious bargain in the most unassuming of places—it becomes the stuff a true snobby shopper’s dreams are made of. Suffice it to say, I skipped out of Smith Haven with some truly inspiring stuff...from some truly surprising stores. Yay me!
xoxo,
Tia

TIA’S SIX SEXIEST SMITH HAVEN MALL FINDS:
1.) CARVED IVORY EARRINGS, Express ($22.50): I am determined to wear these dangly, bohemian-yummy earrings (check them out on page 3 of "accessories") every single day of my life. With their intricately swirling design and gleaming, bone-white finish, they look like folk art from some outdoor artesan market in Marrakech. Which is precisely where I'll pretend I found them.

2.) READY FRAGRANCE, Abercrombie & Fitch ($24.50): Okay, as a beauty editor, I've smelled every single designer fragrance that's launched over the past seven years. And I swear to you, this Abercrombie & Fitch (I know, can you believe it?) scent is just as good, if not better, than some of the topselling perfumes out there. The second I tried on this lush, tropical, cha-cha-cha-spicy scent, Adam practically swooned. Which is the most important thing, isn't it?

3.) DREAMBOAT MILK BATH, The Body Shop ($16): When I was at Lucky, the Bahamas' wildly exclusive, celebrity-frequented Ocean Club Resort invited a bunch of beauty editors down for a spa weekend. I'm not sure I've yet recovered. All I know is, I had the most deluxe massage, ever. First of all, it all goes down in a Balinese-style private treatment cabana with its own open air garden, so you're basically being pampered in a tropical, outdoor paradise situation. And to top things off, after my full-body aromatherapy massage and body wrap, I soaked in an essential-oil-scented milk bath chock full of floating hyacinth and frangiapani petals. Literally, it was the most deluxe moment of my life (and at this moment I'm cursing myself for quitting the magazine racket--such perks!). Anyway, one whiff of this oh-so-heady Body Shop milk bath took me back. Its scented with lotus flower, frangipani and something called "organic community traded honey"--and if you can't get to the Ocean Club, baby, it's the next best thing.

4.) SO SEXY SMOOTHING SHINE SERUM, Victoria's Secret ($12.50): If you're anything like me (extremely curly-haired, relaxed, Dominican-salon-blowout-addicted), you get your hair washed and blownout only once a week, on Sundays. And if you happen to do things like frequent Thai restaurants, or go to a dinner party at a cigarette-smoking friend's house, your hair may begin to build up a, well, scent. Since the last thing you're going to do is WASH IT, its all about Victoria's Secret's fragranced shine serum. Not only does it give your hair a sheeny, healthy gleam when rubbed onto dry ends...it also magically infuses your hair with a fresh, slightly floral scent. No one will guess that your hair is Dirt MacGirt-dirty.

5.) STUDDED HALF MOON SHOULDER BAG , Forever 21 ($45.80): I'm still in total shock that this bag isn't, like, three hundred dollars! So very cool in the Sienna Miller/Kate Moss-tradition, this chocolately brown REAL leather hobo has the funkiest gold-studded design on the front...and its big enough for day, but sassy enough for night. It comes in black, too, but alas, brown is the new black.

6.) VALENTINE PAISLEY SCARF, Guess ($24): Right now, I'm head-over-heels into headbands. You know, the wide, 1960's kind (paired with big gold hoops, it just screams "jetsetter," even if the farthest you're jetting is to Starbucks). I've already worn this stunning, brightly colored paisley scarf twice--and compliments have abounded both times! Wear a wide headband with a ponytail, a messy high bun..or my favorite, with big, loose hair. H&M has some great ones too, for like $6, but they aren't sold online so I don't have a link. Get thee to the mall!

7 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

OMG, you have made me really want to go shopping at a mall THIS SECOND, but alas, it is midnight. I can't wait to check out that 4-eva 21 bag! And I totally second that headband motion, I just bought some really kick-ass bands at H&M, if one can get oneself there.

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement about the mall. I am constantly on the lookout for unique finds at the mall and always come up with something great. I'm so wanting to try the Milkbath.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right about the mall, Tia. When I was 15 and spent the summer at Uncle Vic's (in Lawn Guyland,) Brian and I made a journey to the Smith Haven Mall. It was there that a chubby Kuka found out they did make "cool clothes" in my size, and I was instantly hooked to Torrid and Lane Bryant... So, as a young woman, and still chubby, I am totally indebted to the Mall for giving me more choices in fashion! And New York... What can I say? I heart NY foreva!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI- Online the forever 21 bags are 8.99!!! Amazing. And even though I am far from a skinny girl, I find if I search really hard they have the cutest stuff for spring.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Toya said...

Hey, Tia! Next time you're on Long Island check out Roosevelt Field, in Garden City. Fab shopping and good restaurants nearby...

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情人歡愉用品,情惑用品性哥,情人用品性哥,情趣用品,AIO交友愛情館,情人歡愉用品,美女視訊,情色交友,情人用品性哥,視訊交友,辣妹視訊,美女交友,性愛,嘟嘟成人網,按摩棒,震動按摩棒,微調按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,逼真按摩棒,G點,跳蛋,跳蛋,跳蛋,性感內衣,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,情趣娃娃,角色扮演,性感睡衣,後庭區,SM,潤滑液,情趣禮物,威而柔,香水,精油,芳香精油,自慰,自慰套,性感吊帶襪,情趣用品加盟,情人節禮物,情人節,吊帶襪,辣妹視訊,美女交友,情色交友,成人交友,視訊聊天室,美女視訊,視訊美女,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友,視訊聊天,AIO交友愛情館,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人網站,AIO交友愛情館,情色,情色貼圖,情色文學,情色交友,色情聊天室,色情小說,七夕情人節,色情,A片,A片下載,免費A片,免費A片下載,情色視訊,情色電影,色情網站,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,美女視訊,視訊美女,美女交友,美女,情色交友,成人交友,自拍,本土自拍,情人視訊網,視訊交友90739,生日禮物,情色論壇,正妹牆,正妹,成人網站,A片,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,AV女優,成人影片,色情A片,成人論壇,情趣

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

収れん性化粧水・・・余分な皮脂の分泌を…
ワセリンについてワセリンは
子が障害者であるケース
ご飯からつくるときはひ
竜雲・レンズ雲竜雲その形…
業者によっては
キャッシュフロー計算書
大相場長期間(1~2年)
地震はいつ襲ってくるか誰にも分かりません…
センサーアラーム
大手・準大手の消費者金融会社はほとんどが
雇用保険:1週間の所定
消費者が対象商品を購入し…
アポクリン汗腺は表皮に開口しているエクリ…
いつも家族が集まるリビングも楽しい…
駐車スペースも必要ですし
貸すことは基本的に自由ですが
企業などがインターネット…
植物草木が年に…
固定負債

seego

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home