Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Feliz Anniversary!!

Hola sexy mamas,
Yay! I'd love you to join me in a huge round of applause for ourselves...because yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of SHAKE YOUR BEAUTY!! CAN YOU BELEIVE IT? Oh, and its been a glitteringly glam, fiercely fabulous year, hasn't it? And I owe it all to you, my ever-faithful squad of gorgeous product hoes!!! Honestly, its been so much fun watching my humble little blog grow and grow, slowly but surely creating a bonafide community of smart, sassy, like-minded chicas. You are all sooo inspiring to me, you have no idea. Thank you from the bottom of mi corazon for sticking with me...and here's to another yummy year!!

Now, the good stuff. In honor of my anniversary (actually, it's "our" anniversary, wouldn't you say?), I'm dedicated this post to YOU. I'm finally getting around to addressing your most pressing beauty questions. Hope you're tickled by the answers--and keep the questions coming, girls! If I don't answer you right away, I swear I'll get to you before I croak. At which time, I'd like to be buried in my new Tracey Reese shirt-dress (oh, its so good). Oh, by the way. Girls, I have a question for you guys!! Due to the rampaging stress caused by book deadlines, my new Cosmo Radio gig, and the sad realization that I have visible new-growth in my Olay commercial (why oh why didn't I get a touch-up before I shot the damn thing??!)--I've been eating quite a bit. I've gained TEN POUNDS in the last three months. The first person to give me a way to drop the pounds without breaking a sweat gets a limited edition "Billie" lipgloss--my friends at Three Custom Cosmetics whipped them up in honor, you guessed it, Miss Billie Burke of THE ACCIDENTAL DIVA!

Okay, folks, let's do some beauty-shaking in the name of love!!

xoxo,
your tia

Dear Schanina,
This isn't really a question, but...thank you for bringing up the fabulous website, WORLDBRIDEMAGAZINE.COM!! Its a fabulous resource for engaged girls, or for those of you harboring a major bridal fetish. This gorgeous online mag was created to serve brides of all colors, ethnicities, religions, and races...and its positively gorgeous. Good work, Schanina!
xoxo,
tia

Dear Tiffany,
Looking for a flat iron that won't cost a month's rent? Oh sweetie, did I find one for you!! It's all about CONAIR INSTANT HEAT ULTRA-HOT CERAMIC STRAIGHTENER ($24.99), a very kick ass flatiron that gets salon-hot, but comes with heat settings for every hair type (fine, curly, coarse, etc.) to prevent heat-damage. Also, it has a boar bristle attachment (great for adding a final polish) and a detachable comb if you want to get really close to the root. I've had an affair with this baby for years.
xoxo,
tia

Dear Anonymous Ashiness,
You're not alone--I get emails about dry, parched hands at least twice a week. Here's the thing...you can go for those greasy, heavy-duty grandma creams and leave residue on every doorknob you touch, or you can go the glam route and choose the uber-moisturizing-but-not-slippery-gross hand lotion used by manicurists backstage at all the fashion shows!
RESCUE BEAUTY LOUNGE HAND CREAM IN CITRUS VERT ($20), was created by Ji Baek, the it-girl owner of Downtown Manhattan's spa-to-the-stars, Rescue Nail Spa. I don't know what's better, the insanely heavenly citrus-green scent, or the way it keeps your hands un-ashy ALL DAY LONG.
xoxo,
tia

Dear Toni,
My friends are CONSTANTLY asking me if a tinted moisturizer for brown girls exists! Well, it does. For those of you who aren't familiar with tinted moisturizers, its a super-light moisturizer that gives a dewy, radiant hint-of-a-tint. It's a perfect go-to if foundation is too heavy for you, but you still want a "finished" look. Not only has LAURA MERCIER TINTED MOISTURIZER IN WALNUT ($40) won awards for "best tinted moisturizer" from both In Style and Allure, its one of the only ones existing for ladies of color. And the best part? Its sheer enough to work on the fairest cafe au lait to the deepest mahogany skin tones--just so you get the picture, both Rosario Dawson and Nia Long are OBSESSED with it.
xoxo,
tia

Dear Annie,
Why yes, I do know a trick for getting rid of bikini-line ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Anyone who's as obsessed with down-there maintenance as me (what, we're all ladies, right? Oh yeah--Todd, log off immediately!) will know that bumps are a nasty side effect of bikini waxing and shaving. So, do like all the in-the-know salon professionals do, and invest in a bottle of TEND SKIN ($20)! This miracle lotion-gel somehow dislodges ingrown hairs and sooths bump like magic!! Every night between waxings or shavings, douse a cotton ball and apply it to the area. You won't believe the results (by the way, its also great for your man, if he has beard bumps). At some point in my beauty career the whole thing was explained to me--something about aspirin, which is an anti-inflammatory, being the main ingredient--but I don't really remember the exact breakdown. When something works this good, I don't ask questions.
xoxo,
tia

Dear Tisha,
Bless your heart! Lovely Tisha was flipping through Iman's makeup book, THE BEAUTY OF COLOR (which I, ahem, co-wrote), and was enthralled with Naomi Campbell and Padma Lakshmi's looks--but felt that, with her blue eyes, blondish hair and fair skin, she was too pale to pull them off. Well, sweetie, you probably shouldn't go for their makeup looks, but I can prescribe one from the book that'll look smashing on you...and all light-skinded ladies! Turn to page 116 and check out Vanessa Williams' makeover. She's working that shimmery, radiant, etheral fairy princess moment that's so in for spring--and with her blue eyes, blond hair and fair skin she's your doppleganger! Here's what you need to make it happen:

1.) NARS CREAM SHADOW IN EL DORADO ($20): With your index finger, swipe this golden-peachy shade onto lids for the most luminous, dewy sheen, ever. So flattering on, literally, everyone.




2.) IMAN LUXURY BLUSHING POWDER IN SUNLIT COPPER ($9.99): A blush that provides a sun-kissed warmth to your skin is so stunning on fair skin. This sheer wash of caramel-y copper will instantly makes you look like you've just returned from Ibiza.



3.) YVES SAINT LAURENT TOUCHE BRILLIANCE SPARKLING TOUCH FOR LIPS IN GOLD SHIMMER #2, OR STARRY HAVANA #10 ($27.50): Can you hear me squealing through the internet? I love YSL's new see-through, shimmery hint-of-a-tint gloss with such undying passion, that I bought three of each--one to put in each of my favorite purses. Yeah, its like that. Whether you go for Gold Shimmer (a fabulous gold-toned shine) or Starry Havana (a twinkly, sheer red-bronze hue) these glosses instantly sexify your look. Everyone will ask you what you're wearing, too, which is always nice. Oh, and the scent is TO-DIE...somehow, the gloss smells mysteriously like a yummy smoothie.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Tia! This is my first time leaving a comment, but I do pop in from time to time to "get my shimmy on".

Anyhoo, lastnight I was way too tickled to see you on an Oil of Olay commercial. (I was watching ANTM).

Wasn't expecting that . . .you may have wrote about it, but I missed the post, if you did. It was like, oh snap! I know her . . . I mean, I don't know her, but I feel like I do . . . in the bloggin sort of way. Know what I mean?

*ha ha*

Have a lovely day!

5:49 PM  
Blogger whitney said...

Happy Anniversary Tia! I don't know if this counts, but "I hear" that a great way to lose weight fast is to cut down on dairy products and carbs. And I'm almost positive it won't make you sweat!

Whitney

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! Thank you for sharing your tips with us for a year!

I got myself one of those YSL shimmer pens last week! I am shocked the world didn't hear me squeeling in Saks. I am in LOVE!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

I remember when I discovered your blog and consequently your book.

Speaking of your book, I read a Larenz Tate interview in the current Essence. He said that would like to hook up with Nia Long to keep the Love Jones fire burning. The Accidental Diva is SO worhty.

As you see, I'm keeping hope alive until Larenz, Nia, and The Accidental Diva are doing the big screen thing.

keep up the great work. You're awesome.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia! Happy Anniversary! I check in on your blog every week, so I decided I'd leave a comment this week. I'm not a big "blogger" at all, but I couldn't resist a Happy Anniversary shout out, nor a chance to tell you how CRAZY "The Accidental Diva" is. I picked it up last year, read it in 3 days, and passed it on to all my friends. I deeply love the idea of a young, hot, black beauty doing her thang in the publishing world (in NY no less) and finding that real, true love.

Anyway, one tidbit of information for you...I read (from Oprah's trainer Bob Greene) that not eating after 7:30pm for one month is the quickest way to lose 10lbs. Although stressful, it's definitely "sweat-free"! Also, paying close attention to portion size is a sure fire way to keep eating what you like, while losing those extra lbs. Of course, I haven't followed any of this advice, but it's not about me...it's about you :)

I wish you much more success with your books, commercials, radio show, and, of course, this ingenious blog!!

shaundaboo

1:59 AM  
Blogger As The World Turns....Mystie Blu said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Please continue by all means to keep doing your thang! and Thank You soooo much for the Tend Skin product 'cause I'm actually moving back to Miami, FL at the end of this month and I do belive this product will definitely come in handy.

OH! as for the weight concern I usually just eat moderate portions while laying low on the carbs and dairy ( I do love Soy Milk w/my Cheerios however) and I cut out fast food joints. Peace!!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Hey lady, congratulations on your one year anniversary. That is great news for all of the sisters out here.

The weight loss. I think the best way to lose the 10 pounds is to bump up the exerise and watch what you eat. Expend more energy and eat less calories.

Every morning drink one glass of water with lemon (this detoxifies the body). Eat a very healthy and full breakfast that contains protein and healthy carbs, such as eggs and lean turkey sausage and whole wheat toast.

For lunch, drink one glass of water before eating and make sure you get healthy carbs, such as broccoli, sweet potatoes and lean protein, chicken or turkey and good fats, almonds, avocadoes, etc.

For dinner the same thing and have some dessert.

Make sure you maintain healthy portion control and you will see the weight come off. Enjoy all great foods and watch your portions. That's the key.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary and thank you for the Flat Iron rec!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Where's Tony Toni Tone when we need them...Happy Anniversary ya'll.

Tia,
Thanks for checking out the World Bride Magazine site, I've been doing my "thing" for them for a minute. I also wrote several articles, including the one about Visionary Bridal Designers. Big things from World Bride to come!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,
Happy Anniversary! Can you recommend a great salon in Manhattan for a Dominican Blow Out

11:42 AM  
Blogger DivaSoulSistaHuneyChil said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, has it really been a year? Even though I should probably be following this advice myself... to drop ten pounds with out even thinking about it is (this may be a bit hard though) but seriously cut out the elevator or escalators when you shop lol you wont sweat to the point of ruining your blowout but you will burn extra calories... and not eating after 7:00 pm really works! There are so many diets out there I heard of a new one that is supposed to be really good it is called the Flavor diet there is a book on it so run run run to Borders!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Cece said...

Congrats Tia!!!!
I know you want to hear how to lose weight and forgive me, but I saw your commercial and honey you are a stick. And the camera adds ten pounds! You are fabulous, you have a great career, a cute (hope I'm not speaking out turn... oops too late ;-)) husband, and a devoted loyal following of SYB'rs who tune in every day looking for new posts *even though you keep us waiting foreevveerr* so my advice is not to lose weight~its grab a daquiri or someother blender drink and enjoy the NY weather and buy a new bra 'cause I'm sure some of that weight went right to the boobs!
Love ya,
Cece

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a drop of sweat? are you mad? lol! this is coming from someone who lives at the gym! Well in order to lose one pound, you must burn 3500 more calories than you consume, so you're going to have to cut down on calories. I suggest eliminating one carb serving per day and replacing it with a fruit of veggie. If you like grapefruit, eat a half before a meal every so often because it cuts down the fat that will be absorbed from the food. Drink a ton of water and spend more "quality" time with your husband (maybe you can make an exception to the no-sweat rule);-)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,
I haven't tried the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer yet (I would have had my friend not cancelled on me the day we were set to get LM makeovers at Sephora...grrrrr). Anyway, I wanted to say that MAC also makes a VERY good tinted moisturizer called Select Tint. It comes in several totally blendable sista-friendly shades for only $24. I have both the NW45 and NW50 which I blend together to give me an exact match. The coverage is fabulously sheer and dewy.

P.S. I just started reading your book. I can't tell you how many Barnes & Nobles in Manhattan I went to before I finally got my hands on it...lol.

P.P.S. Sorry if you've mentioned it here already, but have you tried Becca Cosmetics? The foundation stick, concealer, and loose finishing powder are GOD-SENDS!!!

Danielle Gray
Image Consultant
dmissgray@aol.com
http://www.myspace.com/urban_glamour

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia I just finished reading your book and I LOVED it I couldn't put it down. I was just wondering I was thinking about moving to L.A. and I was just wondering if Columbia Collehe in Hollywood was an extension of the one's in NY and Chicago or is it completely different? I f so can u suggest some good one's for journalism/magazine editing?

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, you sexy thing (10 pounds or not..tsk tsk!). I have been in love with this site and all your wonderful advice every since I lucked up on it, same goes for the The Accidental Diva. I gave it to all my girlfriends for Christmas and they absolutely adored it. Thanks Tia

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Tia! No need to tell you how FABULOUS Shake Your Beauty has become.

Well Love, I have a question for you:
I have had it in with my edges! Even only two days after I get a FRESH perm, my edges are already standing AT ATTENTION. How can I keep those bad boys tame (without all that gel build-up!), to achieve a nice, slick ponytail?

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I also have picked up some stress weight so I feel your pain. What's working for me is substituting fruit (esp. grapefruit, oranges and apples--for the fiber, vitamins and time it takes to peel, eat, etc.)for the stuff I was munching when under pressure (chips & chocolate). Substituting L.Cuisine/Healthy Choice(the ones w/dessert) for takeout lunches and dinner a few times a week helps too. Drink lots of water and try not to eat three hours before you go to sleep.

Karen Voight's Yogasculpting DVD (6+ workouts for $10 at Target)--minimal sweat and maximum toning and stress relief. No sweat solution=Spanx suck up and hide everything. LOL Good luck!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I really love your blog. I know my readers will love it too!
Ilan(Chic Ilan)

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia! Thank you so much for your advice!! I can't wait to try these products!Tho the yves saint laurent lip gloss is a lil bit expensive and the Iman blush powder costs $30 in Belgium (yup the lil country where I live)! But thats ok, I'm sure I'll find a way to get it cheaper :), and anyway, what wouldn't we do to look good!!
And Happy Anniversary!!!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://mewnuqpk.com/ikwa/vupg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://zhkbrlju.com/pazy/mhth.html]Cool site[/url]

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://mewnuqpk.com/ikwa/vupg.html | http://gstkaouv.com/qrsv/eyao.html

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://mewnuqpk.com/ikwa/vupg.html | http://gstkaouv.com/qrsv/eyao.html

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home