Sunday, June 25, 2006

Straight, No Chaser


Hey Ladies,
I'm officially blown away by the number of deeply intriguing, totally universal beauty questions my Sexy Mamas have sent me over the past two weeks!! And I can't wait to get to them, but something so extraordinary just happened to me (well, to my hair) that I'd be a very sad Beauty Ho were I not to drop everything and share (I'd also be remiss in not mentioning probably the worst beauty offense of the week...Britney's slowly-coming-undone row of false lashes on that pitiable Dateline interview. Everyone was so preocuppied with the chewing of the gum, the cleavage, and the statement "funny people are hilarious," but was the glob of black glue hovering over her left eye any less horrific? What the Fantasia Barrino was her makeup artist thinking!!). Okay, so here's the fabulous thing. On Thursday, MIZANI HAIRCARE (one of the most kick-ass black haircare lines in creation) held a beauty editor event for their new in-salon service...and I must admit, I was highly skeptical when I found out what the deal was. In July, Mizani will debut their Thermasmooth system, a four-step professional regimen that'll revolutionize the way you straighten your hair. Supposedly, the products in the regimen--including a special Conditioning Shampoo, Strengthening Condiitoner, Smooth Guard heat-activated styling lotion, and Shine Extend finishing serum--all work together to straighten your hair so intensely THAT IT'LL EXTEND YOUR RELAXER AN EXTRA THREE WEEKS. Not only that, it can transform even the most tightly curled natural hair into such silky-straight smoothness, no one but your stylist and God will know you're chemical-free. Well, I refused to believe it. If I had a dime for every haircare line claiming God-like straightening powers, I would NOT be cleaning my own toilet. So, at the event, two models were set up in stylist's chairs--one with an almost-grown-out relaxer, and the other with enormous 'fro. And girls, as I live and breathe, the stylists applied all the special products and, with the help of a flatiron, the two chicas somehow magically ended up with almost-identical, glossy, my-pretty-pony locks. WHAT? Instantly, I threw 'bows at one of the models and plopped down in her chair, demanding to experience "the system" for myself (being a month overdue for a perm, I was a perfect subject, too). The stylist grabbed a section of hair from my bushy wash-and-go ponytail, and then assaulted it with all four products in the system. And SERIOUSLY, I had to laugh when I saw what looked like a clip-on extension sticking out of my frizzy-crazy ponytail. It really was jaw-droppingly amazing--I've never seen ANYTHING like this, ladies. Drop everything and get yourself to a Mizani salon, because these products aren't available on the market (for $20, though, the salons are selling a special ThermaSmooth Maintenace kit for touch-ups between appointments). To find a salon near you, click on the Salon Locator. Fabulous!

Okay ladies, back by popular demand is THE ACCIDENTAL DIVA trivia question...be the first to get it right, and you'll win the Stila Product of the Month (check it out by scrolling down on the right). Good luck and here's the question:

What book does Billie say is the "most perfect novel ever?" Come on guys, this one's easy.

Love you! Keep writing in with your brilliant questions and I'll hit you back next week...

love,
Miss Tia if You're Nasty

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing about the thermasmooth products on their web site. I see that it does not debut until July. Did they not know that you were going to pulg the product in June?

Thanks for the post. I have been quite upset about your hiatus. I have missing you; I fetl abandon and nekid, frankly.
_______
Tia have you ever had eyelash extentions?(sp)

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia!

The "most perfect novel ever" is Their Eyes Were Watching God.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^Gee, forgive me for the mispelled words.

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell to the Naw, Bobby. I can't wait to try this thermasmooth stuff. You're not the only one who'll be throwin bows. Luda will be so proud.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia,
do you know of any good facial exfoliators? I have problems with flaky skin around my chin and nose,
and maybe a good moisturizer that does'nt cause breakouts?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Cece said...

Face Exfoliator- St.Ives Apricot Scrub. Super cheap and works really well. A little pricier is the Loreal Home Microdermabrasion Kit.
Moisturizer- Jean Godfrey June (the legend) recommended Clear and Clear Oil Free Dual Action recently in Lucky Magazine. Need I say anymore?
Hope this helps ;-)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

"Their Eyes Were Watching God," but I see I'm the second person, not the first, so ...um...never mind. :)

-- Gina

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so intrigued by that Mizani no chems straight hair. Come july, you will most defintely find me in a chair getting my straight hair on! Luckily, I see that a salon neat me has a Mizani stylist. Mucho gracias, chica!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would love someone to post pics,

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The BEST facial exfoiliatior is Baking Soda. Take a handful of baking soda and mix with water to form a paste. (I usually do this in the shower) and proceed to scrub. You will find the consistensy level that is good for you.

I have long hair, and hate the product buidup on the back of my neck, baking soda "breaks" up the grease.

I also use the bk paste/exfoiliator for underarms. This makes me extra fresh.

Really you can use the paste on your entire body.

I swear I use about a 1/2 of a box of BK soda a week.

And the best thing: It's cheap. o no Its inexpensive.

See, Tia I am listening :)

3:52 AM  
Blogger | b | said...

I will definately try the baking soda! Although I swear by Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Natural Facial Scrub(http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=87795&catid=48050&aid=336064&aparam=xsp193754)
Hey! I am open-minded girl & you've got me curious!! Thanks :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Well, they say baking soda has hundreds of uses, though I've never heard of it used this way. I'm game for trying! Scrub away ladies!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok...so I am here because I just read your book...and..wait for it..wait for it..I LOVED IT!..I really did..so much so I was late for work finishing it,lol. I feel a connection...I went to VCU but...I have quite a few friends that finished at UVA...just when I had freed myself of internet/blog addiction...and had abandoned all of the natural hair sites that I used to visit...you have me addicted to a new blog! yours! Looking forward to the next book.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

I ham now going to have to try and convince my mum, to allow my hair to be thermasmoothed!

I was reading your book, 'The Beauty of Color' and I was wondering what to use to get Liya Kebede's look

The picture of you in the back is soo cute!

4:03 PM  
Blogger | b | said...

Anonymous: Thank you! Went to drugstore and LOVE the baking soda! It is the same grain size wise as the Queen Helene scrub and even cheaper than my cheapie! Definately give it a try, Ladies :)

1:23 PM  
Blogger | b | said...

Sorry Tia! My memory is like a sieve- inexspensive! inexspensive! inexspensive!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baking soda is a great tip. I use it for my underarms as well. No matter how hard I scrub it's hard to get rid of the old deodorant. The baking soda melts it away. Thanks for the tip.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Thank You Anonymous,,,for the 411 about baking soda....You always hearing that you can us baking soda for a lot of things...but...I would of never thought to use it as a scrub....can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks Again ;-)

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia!

This is my first time writing to you...I "discovered" you after reading the article in the SF Chronicle and I just finished your book which I absolutely love. Anywho...I can't wait to try the Thermasmooth system. I called to make an appt. today w/ my local salon but they don't have it yet. So I am anxiously waiting!

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
The Thermasmooth thing has been on the Mizani website since last month. Look at the products section. I can't wait to try this line. I normally use the Mizani Silkening and Curling wax to press my hair and it holds my press for 2-3 weeks, and is great with the humidity. Also, my hair looks permed when I use this so it will be interesting to see how my hair turns out with the Thermasmooth line. One thing I am curious about, has anyone actually worked up a sweat after having their hair straightened with this line? If so, how well does it hold up after a workout. That is my new concern as I just took on a new gym membership. Thanks ladies.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What the Fantasia Barrino was her makeup artist thinking" oh my god I cant stop laughing.. Tia you re the best

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home