Friday, July 07, 2006

The Devil Wears Forever 21

Hey Girlie-Girls,
DID YOU SEE DEVIL WEARS PRADA??! Love, love, love. And for any of you wondering if the movie exaggerated the deeply humiliating, totally ungratifying life of a fashion magazine editorial assistant…please don’t get it twisted. It’s EXACTLY like that. Everything from cold-sweat panic when Boss Lady arrives at work, to the delivering of the book to Boss Lady’s house and the frantic co-ordination of last-minute travel arrangements (first class, or off with your head)—it’s all real. The most hideous part, though, was being expected to read Boss Lady’s mind when she easily could’ve explained exactly what she wanted. Instead, you have to take a wild stab at things like which designer she’ll want to borrow clothes from for the CFDA awards, and whether she’s in the mood for Haru California rolls or nuts-and-berries from Pump (a hideous Manhattan health-food store that always gives me projectile diahrrea). It’s insane, what’s expected of an entry-level chickadee in fashion. But we abused editorial assistants wouldn’t have given it up for the world. It’s so thrilling, being privy to the innerworkings of such an influential, far-reaching industry. And if you keep your eyes and ears open, you’ll inevitably learn the business in a way that’ll ensure a swift, brilliant rise to the top.

And here’s where I get annoyed. My issue with both the book and the movie was Andie, the title character. I loathed the way she behaved like she was above paying her dues, like both Vogue (let’s face it, that’s what we’re talking about here) and the fashion industry were beneath her. Get the hell out, then! Meryl Streep herself commended Anne Hathaway (who is stunning, by the way…I predict that we’ll all be rocking eye-skimming bangs by the fall) on making such a whiny character seem sympathetic. It’s really a very lucky thing to be in such close proximity to Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour (on whom Runway’s Miranda Priestly is based), inarguably the most important fashionista of them all. She’s an abusive sociopath, to be sure, but if you want a career in fashion, who better to learn from? She’s an icon! I just don’t get this new wave of girls taking entry level positions with the attitude that they’re too cute for the work. Like Heidi on Laguna! Jesus Christ, that girl. “Uhh, sorry I just thought I’d be part time…and I just didn’t realize I’d be stuffing envelopes?” It boggles my mind that this nineteen-year-old assumed she’d be hobnobbing with A-listers at the hottest clubs in L.A….as an event planner’s ASSISTANT (I do, however, adore Heidi’s hair). Ladies, anything worth having is worth working your ass off for. Behind every star is a saga of suffering and sobbing—so go have a cocktail and get over yourself.

That said, let’s move on to your most pressing beauty issues of the week! Listen closely, friends, some of these may apply to you. Mama hearts you big time…keep shaking that beauty!

Love,
Tia


Dear Delightful,
Here’s the “proper way” to arch your brows, Pretty Girl. First, brush them upwards with a tiny eyebrow brush—you’ll look really evil, but stick with me. Once the hairs are sticking straight up, you’ll be able to see the line of your arch more clearly. Create a sort-of stencil of the arch shape you want by tracing along the underside of the brow with an eyeliner pencil (a white pencil is your best bet; you can see it more clearly). The highest point of the line should fall directly above your iris. Next, tweeze the hairs that fall below the line. Voila!! A clean-but-natural-looking arch. What you should NEVER do is pluck above your brow or over-tweeze between your brows. To figure out where your brow should start, hold a pencil vertically at the outside of your nostril. And to make the whole thing infinitely easier, check out BENEFIT’S BROW ZING IN DARK ($28). The all-in-one kit comes with everything you need to create perfect brows—two brow powder shades, tweezers, a hard angle brush (to apply the powder) and a blending brush.


Dear Anonymous Girl Curious About Eyelash Extension,
Ooohh, who isn’t? Ever since stars like Jennifer Lopez and Jessica Simpson started rocking deliciously lush eyelash extensions (Madonna’s were diamond-studded and cost $10,000), they’ve become the Hollywood trend du jour. What happens is, the salon technician glues a synthetic lash extension to your own eyelash hairs, one by one with tweezers. For up to two months, you’ll wake up every day with long, sexy, fresh-looking lashes that won’t even require mascara! The thing is, the extensions are expensive—costing between $300 and $500. Too expensive? Try semi-permanent lashes…they cost about $50 and last anywhere from three days to two weeks. And if you’re looking for a super-cheap way to get Aubrey-at-dance-rehearsal lashes (please tell me you noticed that the Making the Band babe wears fake lashes to boom-kat with Laurie-Anne for hours. LOVE her), it all starts with out SHU UEMURA’S industry cult-favorite EYELASH CURLER ($18). Every Us Weekly-type celeb under the sun uses this curler, and for good reason—it makes your lashes pop like you wouldn’t believe. Try it, try it, try it!!


Dear Zakiyyah,
First of all, huge congrats on your smarty-pants 10-month-long Fulbright Grant to Malaysia!! I fully cosign your decision to bring two weeks of clothes, and understand your confusion about what else to bring. Ahh packing. It’s so hard for us fashion-and-beauty sluts. But you’ve come to the right girl, since about five years ago I dropped everything and moved to Seville, Spain for six months…and stuffed my entire bathroom cabinet in a carry-on. Before you do anything, you should visit FLIGHT 001. It’s a fabulous hipster-chic travel boutique in Manhattan’s West Village, but the website is just as fantastic (and well-priced)—it carries things like packing aids, travel wallets, all kinds of helpful gadgets, in-flight essentials, and random goodies like all-in-one adaptors, a “No Jet-Lag” homoepathic remedy, cute luggage labels and their insanely well-edited Flightpack (for just $28, you get a waterproof bag stuffed with a dental kit, floss, mouthwash, Burt’s Bees lipbalm, moist towelttes, an Evian face-spritzer, and moisturizer). Second of all, you should leave electronics like curling irons and hairdryers at home (they probably won’t work in Malyasia—just buy them when you get there). Also, don’t weigh down your carry-on with tons of makeup…downsize with HARD CANDY TAKE OUT MAKEUP KIT ($25, above), which had everything you need in one tri-level, cutie-pie palette (six lipglosses, two lip brushes, eight eyeshadows, a black eye pencil, mini mascara, two shadow applicators, blush and bronzer). But in terms of hair products and skincare, definitely bring your usual stash—you probably won’t find Miss Jessie’s curl creams in South East Asia, Sugar. To make things travel-friendly, pour your hair and skin stuff into leakproof travel bottles. You can find really cheap ones (from 65 cents to $3) at THE CONTAINER STORE…. they even carry PERSONAL CARE LABELS ($1.79 for 36 labels) to stick on the bottles! Good luck Zakiyyah—write me when you get there!!


Dear Clothespin,
So you’ve got “large, unruly curly hair” and most styling products are too heavy and sticky for you? I have just the thing, Clothespin! You must try MATRIX CURL LIFE CONTOURING CREAM THICK/COARSE HAIR ($15). When your hair’s wet, scoop out a palm-full and saturate your strands, from root to tip. Then, carefully scrunch—not too hard, or you’ll end up with tons of frizz—and use a diffuser to dry. Your curls will be so soft and bouncy you’ll want to run out and audition for a hair commercial.


Dear PinkCrystal1908,
You’re fifteen! Oh honey, I remember being fifteen and acne-prone and desperately jealous of the clear-skinned beauties in Jodeci videos. So, your issue is that you’re an oily-skinned stunner who lives in humid, sweaty Mississippi and needs a non-pore-clogging SPF moisturizer. Well, its seems that CLEAN & CLEAR’S MORNING GLOW MOISTURIZER ($6.99) was made for you. Not only is it oil-free and blended with SPF 15, this super-light moisturizer contains tiny light-reflecting particles that’ll give your skin the prettiest, most “morning-after” radiance. But you wouldn’t know anything about that, would you, dear?

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey T-Love,

Thanks for this week's post. Have you thought of doing a video blog from time to time. Maybe you could show step by step techniques on makeup application.
What do you think? I know it will be great.

I do hope you respond to this.

Thanks for all you do for us.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tia,

Ugh Heidi is so ridiculous. and quit school for a school for a job she was unsure of the hours. But don't she have some great clothes? Any who...I'll finally see the "Devil" tomorrow.I'm such a late country bumpkin. love ya!
Any other summer fragrance suggestions other than Jade blossom?(which i have too.)

J

11:08 PM  
Blogger ::d:e:l:i:g:h:t:f:u:l:: said...

Thanks Tia!!! I'm gonna arch my brows tonight :)

12:15 AM  
Blogger Rasha said...

Tia, I totally agree. The movie was great. The clothes... Ohhh.... (drool, drip, drip). I found myself gasping aloud in the theater (totally annoying the curry scented Indian couple beside me). In the book, I cringed, grimaced, perspired, and cried along with Andrea each time her phone rang, I'm so glad that the movie wasn't as torturous.
By the way, do you know anyone looking for a fashion/beauty assistant to "torture" (I mean that it the best sense of the word)? I know you would post it if you did, b/c you are an absolute Doll. It is so difficult to get a foot in the door.
Thanks for the inside look each week.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the movie, in which I will probably be making the trip by myself-which I am actually excited about-since I can't seem to drag someone along who wouldn't MIND seeing it. Why ruin the mood & the dream, eh?

And apple diva's suggestion sounds Fab. I would love to see that.

I'll be trying Clean & Clear's Morning Glow. Loved the post!

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia,

I TOTALLY agree with what you said about the movie and ESPECIALLY, about paying dues. I'm 26 and paying my dues now to make it in my field. I have NO PROBLEMS starting at the bottom and working my way up; if I weren't doing it this way, I doubt I'd be as appreciative of so many opportunities as I am now.

Hope your holiday was great!!

3:43 AM  
Blogger shimmerliciousdiva said...

Hey Tia,
That Clean and Clear product suggestion reminded me of a problem that I am having...I am 22 years old and I keep thinking that I should have a set "routine" with face and skin care by now. There are just so many different brands out there that promise different results. So, I am hoping that you could suggest your best picks of cleansers, lotions, etc. from drugstore brands like Olay, Biore, etc. for a girl who has acne-prone skin (and is allergic to products with benzoyl-peroxide). I hope that this is not too much to ask. I'll greatly appreciate this Tia. You are the best.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Oh, the bangs...I was seriously thinking about making the cut for the fall, but OH how they would take forever to grow back out! Still contemplating... Thanks for another great fashion/beauty infused post-I get my "morning-after" radiance from reading your not-so-silly beauty blog every week.

Keep making us glow!

-S

7:27 PM  
Blogger ::d:e:l:i:g:h:t:f:u:l:: said...

I cut myself some bangs two weeks ago..... now I have a diagonal sploosh of hair on my forehead .... oh the drama....

3:22 AM  
Blogger Elle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Elle said...

I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Relax. You can get cosmetics and hair stuff here. Probably cheaper too. That $18 Shu Uemera eyelash curler mentioned? It's sold here for RM50! And if my calculations are correct, that's only 14 USD! It's hot and humid here though, so bring wtv is needed for a hot and humid type weather. ;) I live in Bangsar(Kuala Lumpur), which is prety central. There are quite a number of great boutiques here(here as in Bangsar). And a vist to the shop Shoes,Shoes,Shoes is a total must. Enjoy ur trip, Zakiyyah!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

T-Rocka

Were you going tell anyone that you are in the August Marie Claire or did miss the memo, you little celeb!


J

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia...Please help me! I have a question: I have a problem with scars that come from acne. Do you know of a good product that will help clear up my problem? Thanks! I'm am seeing your face everywhere now! I looked in an old Essence mag and saw you in there. I love your blog. Please come to FAMU to speak!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss T:
The devil wears Wal Mart right now...
Ha ha ha!
Loved the book, and can't wait to see the movie! I have been holding off, waiting for the right day to get to the matinee where the tickets cost $6.50 instead of a regualr nighttime ticket of $9.75!! Can you believe it? Oh the drama... Almost 10 bucks for a movie? It's almost as bad as the $3.15/gallon in gas to get me to the theatre... I'll stay home and read THE ACCIDENTAL DIVA again thank you very much...
Besos*** Kuka

11:32 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

I did catch the movie. LOVED THE CLOTHES. Everytime Miranda threw a coat and purse across the desk I wanted to jump into the screen and catch it for her.

I agree with paying dues. NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING....work hard and eventually, you will reap the rewards. Everything is an opportunity to learn something.

Tia, have you tired Clinique's new Butter Shine Lipsticks? The texture is amazing!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post!
I for one am already rocking the bangs! I have this thing for the
1920's bobbed and banged look.

Quick question?
Do you have a suggestion for
a beige eyeliner or a coral lipstick that would suit a dark beauty like me? MAC NW47, Lancome
IV40(N)

Thank you!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Tia,

Ditto on the Heidi thing! I'm so glad you put that out there, but let's face it that isn't the only mind boggling thing about the show (of which I am a total groupie)....I mean how about the notion that at 19, you think that your boyfriend's birthday is a national day-off, and what's more he's pissed cuz it's not. WHAT!?!
Call me crazy, but that was just a wee bit much, although the oh-no-she-didn't scenarios are what keep me hooked!

Love your blog and take care!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Gold Pink Leo said...

I loved both the book and the movie. The clothes were beautiful. I also agree with you about Heidi, I would kill to have that opportunity. Stuff envelopes is a chance in disguise.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Cece said...

Toi- I checked out Ms.Tia's archive b/c I was sure she had answered that very question(well that and I have a mind numbing job so what better way to pass the time?) She recommended Bliss Sleeping Peel. But here I'll let you read it for yourself.
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Some serious beauty-shaking
Hope it helps!

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia please don't get me started on Heidi, I die everytime I hear her complaining, its almost like in the Devil wears Prada, "A million girls would love to have that job". Speaking of bangs I was this close to cutting some the other day had the hair parted scissors (dull in all) in hand but couldn' do it. I'm such a wuss. :-)

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia,

It's me again. Just got my August '06 Marie Claire in the mail. I was surprised to see you grace the pages. You look great. Love the shoes and handbag in the photo.

Keep up the great work.

3:41 PM  
Blogger ::d:e:l:i:g:h:t:f:u:l:: said...

Well T-Money, you've been a very busy 'fairy fashion-mother" as of late, haven't you? Do your thang :)

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia, Do you know of a good dentist in NYC???

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting review on Matrix Curl Life!

{However I feel that the vital part of the Curl Life range is its essential moisturizing quality that hydrates rough hair.

You could have recommended it to those consumers who have a seasonal hair fall problem. This is in response to the Matrix Curl Life All-Day Reactivator in the range.

Seasonal hair fall comes with curly hair. The Curl Life Products controls the sebum in the hair, properly balancing moisture content to revive the curls every moment.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Oh Tia, You are "so media-genic". (BTW that's one of my favorite Accidental Diva Lines, you had me on the first page.)

Speaking of fashionable people, I just saw Beyonce's Deja Vu video and the stylin' (hair, makeup, clothes) is sick. I am totally feeling the House of Dereon vibe now...and I love my HOD jeans-they're so well made!

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gawd, Schanina! I just saw the video too on MTV! But I was thinking to myself, isnt the vid a little "too" jumpy? Back and forth, back and forth, quick change here, quick change there... It's like there wasnt a story to go with the song, ya know? I did love the whole wadrobe for that shoot, though. Damn that B, so Bootylicious and Bootifull... LOL

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quick Beauty Question, then on to how fabulous Devil Wears Prada was...OK so I have developed this MOST annoying skin condition, a.k.a. oily skin!!! Where is it coming from! I use those damn Clean & Clear oil blotters in the morning and the afternoon! What is going on? I use the Biore oil free cream cleanser as well as an oil free tonaer AND an oil free moisturizer! Could you please suggest some products for me so I don't have to go around shining!!!

Thanks!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

Am I in hell or has Tarte really discontinued their Sunkissed cheek stain?

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey again,

Where's a good place to get my brows done in NYC? Some of these $10 joints truly suck so I'm willing to pay.

Thanks

3:19 PM  
Blogger gtdiva said...

Hi Tia!

Thanks for another great post. I agree with apple diva, can you recommend a way to learn how to apply make up?

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh la love. If only they made it with SPF 45 worked in.

Blogged about you, blog.thisnext.com

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also loved that movie. I thought it was great! And I can totally relate to the character. I too have to do the entry-level go get lunch/coffee/goceries/answer phones deal (I work in TV). On those days that get a bit stressful and sometimes degrading, I have to keep in mind that EVERYBODY who's doing what I eventually want to do, started out doing exactly what I'm doing now. I guess it's all about perspective. =)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Clothes-Pin said...

Hi Tia!

Thanks so much for the recommendation for the hair. I'll be making a stop at Ricky's after work...like I need an excuse to go there! Tia, I wanted to pass your info for an opportunity, I can tell you more about it. Can you email me at clothespinblog@gmail.com.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home