Monday, July 17, 2006

okay, FINE!!


Hey Hey Hey,
Hola ladies!!! I am EXHAUSTED beyond belief. Mama cannot shake it like she used to. But wow...E for effort! On Saturday, me and my friends Adina (a deliciously sexy NFL publicist, far left), Mashawn (a high-powered Florida attorney and fellow UVA grad, in the pink) and Kibwe (J Mendel's illustrious design director...check the twinkly gold dashiki and matching chain, okay?) hosted our fab friend Lola's bridal shower and, later that night, her bachelorette party. I couldn't believe how emotional the shower was...you know, the whole "toasting one of my greatest friends' life as she starts a whole new moment" thing! I honestly thought I'd be too emotionally drained to really get down at the bachelorette party at BLVD, a very sexy Manhattan club, but alas, I had no trouble at all. Kibwe, who's dance floor situation ought to make Debbie Allen terrified for her job, led all of us in a four-hour interpretive dance salute to reality TV. We copied routines from "So You Think You Can Dance" (he would shout out things like, Paso Doble!, or Contemporary!, or Lyrical!...and we'd have to quickly bust a move in that style. Yes, this seventh grade regression required five or six cocktails). We attempted various "Making the Band" routines that we now know by heart (like the "Ooh La La La La La" shimmy, last season's banger to Cheri Dennis' "I Love You," and the cute little "baby, baby, baby, baby, baby" Betty Wright stomp). We were fools. But because we embraced our foolishness, we were fabulous. So there.


In an abrupt subject change, that is indeed me in the August issue of Marie Claire! Do you like it? Can anyone tell I've gained ten pounds? Whatever, everyone's telling me that the lbs. were much-needed. And my brand-new butt has certainly made my very Latin husband happy. If he's happy, everybody's happy.



Speaking of happiness...you wanna know who makes me smile uncontrollably? The Great and Powerful Sam Fine, who along with being one of the most accomplished makeup artists of our time, is also one of my dearest friends (he's quite sexy, too...I've never seen the man without the CLEANEST edge-up, ever). Perhaps you've heard of his beauty book, a veritable black girl classic, FINE BEAUTY: BEAUTY BASICS & BEYOND FOR AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN? Sam has worked on all of our most iconic beauties--Tyra, Patti, Naomi, Iman, and Queen Latifah. Vanessa Williams calls him "a visionary." Brandy says she "can't stay out of the mirror" after he's done her face. When Veronica Webb became the first black model to land a cosmetic contract with Revlon in 1994, she demanded that Sam work on all her campaigns (for you young'uns, she was one of the original, "capital S" Supermodels of the late '80s-early '90s) . And, ahem, when it came time for me to work out my ACCIDENTAL DIVA author photo, clearly I had to call on Mr. Fine to "beat my face." Sam truly changed the way black makeup was done--he's a true genius; an artist in every sense of the word. And this week, he's SHAKE YOUR BEAUTY'S guest editor! Yaaay! Here, in his own words, he's letting us in on his favorite beauty products of all time. Wanna learn more? Check out his fancy website, SAMFINE.COM, or email him questions directly at SAM@SAMFINE.COM. Okay, pay attention...the master has spoken.

love,
tia

SAM FINE'S TOP SIX BEAUTY PICKS

1. Black Opal Stick Foundation ($8.95): "As a makeup artist, perfecting the canvas is the most important part of my job. I love these foundation sticks because they come in a wide variety of shades, offer great coverage and don’t cost a fortune!"


2. Iman Luxury Pressed Powder ($20): "If you’re one of the many women of color who doesn’t wear foundation, or simply want to skip it during the summer months, try using a pressed powder. First, apply a light moisturizer (with SPF!). Blot, then, with a large powder brush, apply powder."


3. Christian Dior Plastic Shine Lip Gloss ($22): "Gloss is the one item you should never be without, especially during the summer months! Whether used over lipstick to create a multi-dimensional effect or alone as a summer sheer, gloss is a glamorous, yet natural item to own."


4. Stila Eyeshadow ($14): "When applied, eyeshadow should look true to the color in the pan and Stila shadows do the job! They have beautiful mattes and shimmers shades that don’t turn ashy on deeper skintones, making it easy for any woman of color to enhance her eyes easily."


5. L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof Mascara ($6.99): "Yes, waterproof… Why? Because it builds thicker, fuller lashes faster. Begin by applying a thin coat, then wait a few minutes and apply a second coat, this time building lashes that look long and lush!



6. Cargo Bronzer ($25): "Bronzers are often sold during the summer months because they’re meant to enhance tans, but every woman of color should own a bronzing powder because she’s a color year ‘round! In addition to adding a golden glow, bronzer can also take the place of blush by adding warmth and luminescence to the face and body.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS YES!! I love me some Sam Fine! You look great in the mag Tia...work it out missy!!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree with the using brozer instead of blush in the summer. I I tried it on a whim a couple of weeks ago and haven't used my M.A.C blush stick since.

11:12 PM  
Blogger ::d:e:l:i:g:h:t:f:u:l:: said...

I love Black Opal makeup. T-Money, I had that foundation stick in my shade when I was 12! I had the BO eyeshadow, loose powder, pressed powder, everythang! I used to do my face up all the time. Even grown azz women would be jealous of my skills( mainly my aunts Weezy and crunchy-face Lorine). Now, since I'm a (temporarily) un-fabulous college girl on a budget, I can't do myself up like I used to. Oh the memories....

11:26 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Sam Fine is so suave, and his picks are so affordable. I’ve been trying to perfect this multi-dimensional lip effect that he speaks about for a while. Does anyone care to share the technique? Actual colors would be helpful too.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Cece said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Cece said...

1. The 10lbs look amazing on you!! I've recently re-started my gym routine lest my 10lbs turn into 20.
2. It is really inspiring to see fabulous black professionals doing fabulous things. I live in white bread RI and seeing that pic has just made my day. Please post more!!!
3.Chile please. I'm 22 and I remember Veronica as if it were yesterday. Us youngin's know our stuff. I may not remember how to multiply fractions or feudalism but the great 80's supermodels? I know. ;-)
*Bacetti*
(In my quest to be even more fabulous I've started taking Italian. Maybe this will lead to my own hiatus in Italy while I write a novella??)

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you terribly upset they kicked sexy Musa off S.Y.T.U.C.D!! no more eye candy. You look fab in the article, love the skinny jeans!

9:33 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Sam Fine is a living legend. Thanks for all of the products.
Who knew about the Black Opal Foundation Sticks? I will have to check that out.

And you look great in Marie Claire. The ten pounds agree with you and it's all about keeping the hubby happy!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look fabulous!

Questions:
1) Who makes the best top coat? I have recently taken to wearing a deep red nail polish and I want the color to last all week without chipping.

2) I need a cute fashionable and/or designer case for my Palm Treo phone. Any suggestions?

Johnica
johnicagarrett@gmail.com

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look great as always! I'm so elated......Sam Fine the Great as guest editor. Whoo-hoo!!! I never knew about the greatness of Black Opal's products and bronzer year 'round.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia- So much to say so I will put it simply, You are awesome! You came to my school eons ago (U of MD) but I just had the opportunity to read your book and the fabulousity continues. Can you just mentor me :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Elle* said...

Tia, u look great in that issue of Marie Claire. Though I don't read the mag, I must go get a copy now!! And BTW, Sam Fine IS hella FINE! Y haven't I heard of him before???

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi Tia!

Frequent reader here, decided to de-lurk and comment.

1 -- You look awesomely fab in Marie Claire!

2 -- Thank you for all the spot-on, beauty advice, finds, etc. Thanks to your blog, I'm a Sephora and drugstore junkie heh-heh.

3 -- Sam Fine, is my make-up guru hero! Now if I could get him, and a close-up by Marc Baptiste that would rock my world.

Enjoy the rest of your week, maybe I'll see you at the Harlem Book Fair.

Beijos.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im lovvvvve with L'Oreal mascara. I LOVE it. Ive been using it since I started wearing make up. They also have a liquid eyeliner that is the JOINT!

I have a question for Miss Tia.

long long ago I had a head full of Mel B curls of course I was young and all I wanted was straight hair. I never got a perm but I straighten my hair with a flat iron/blow dryer combo. Now when I wash my hair the curl is gone, replaced with a head full of poof. I cant do anything with it.
I have even opted out of vacations becuase I had no idea what to do with my hair at the beach (I dont like braids). My mom says that I can get my curls back by wearing my hair natural and not straighting it which would mean I would look a mess for at least 6 months, which isnt an option. So here are my questions:

1. What are some cute ways to wear my hair while I am trying to get my curls back?
2. What products can help me train my hair to be curly again?

5:01 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

Iman Luxury Pressed Powder...will definately have to get it...like one of the other bloggers, I will be putting M.A.C. on hold...this 100 plus heat is getting to me.
Thanks Sam & Tia.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia! You're really doing it big in the press this month, I saw that your blog got a shout out in the August issue of Allure :) Anywho I have a hair related question. I'm a brown girl with fine hair, and I was wondering if you had any tips on how to get the perfect roller set for my hair texture. Thanks honey!

Susan
HUBabydoll423@aol.com

P.S. - You must come back down to Howard U. sometime soon. We miss you, lol!

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look fab in Marie Claire! Loved the outfit. Question: I've been working out (which really means that I've been sweating like crazy) and if this continues, I'll probably quit. What products do you recommend to keep my relaxed, flat ironed hair from looking frizzy?

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Tia, you have done it again! I LOVE Sam Fine! He walked through a local arts fest a couple of years ago and I almost did the "ohmigod!" fan thing--my fave makeup artist...in Chicago--but I kept my cool. LOL I love Black Opal and have been doing the bronzer thing ever since Mr. Fine was quoted on the subject in InStyle a few years back.

BTW, I'm so mad about Musa but I'm still voting for my girl Donyelle and keeping Ryan in the mix as long as I can.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bronzer tip is great. Keep doing big and great things. You look amazing in Marie Claire. Way to go Tia. Thanks for having Sam guest reviewer. He is a legend.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anybody tried the biore blackhead line?

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met Sam Fine on his beauty tour! LOVE HIM! He is a beautiful person and with a great smile to match!

I tried a tip of his to use a non shimmer bronzer by Black Opal, and it looks great on me.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went out and bought L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara-Original not Waterproof. I applied it this morning before heading to work and now I have lush lashes! Luv the brush!
thnx

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went out and bought L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara-Original not Waterproof. I applied it this morning before heading to work and now I have lush lashes! Luv the brush!
thnx

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Johnica Garrett--Looking for a top coat.

I'm a nail tech and there are several like Orly's Top to Bottom which serves as a bottom and top coat. Also, Out the Door which is a quick dry is an excellent sealant. You can find both at Sally's or Ulta --stores like that.
For color to last a week apply 1 coat every 3 days or if you type while working apply every other day.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Rasha said...

Someone asked about Biore's pore cleansing line. I've tried the pore unclogging scrub and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have seriously oily skin. It sucked every spec of oil out of my skin and left me very dry. It is also a pretty harsh exfoliant. Or, maybe my skin is just too sensitive for it.

8:07 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaStyle said...

You look great in Marie Claire!

4:50 PM  
Blogger princessdominique said...

Great Marie Clarie feature. The poundage looks good on you. Take that from a "hippy" girl.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia! I love the blog and you looked fab in the magazine spread. I need some fashion advice. I just bought this great D&G corset-bra-topish thing. I know I can wear it as a corset bra and keep it under my clothes, but it's just so sleek. I want it to show without giving off the wrong impression. Help me!!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one T to Another:

Congrats on your writeups in Marie Claire and Allure. My Qs are
1. I looked at the Philosophy Concealer Kit. HOW on this earth do you 'blend' the colors to get your shade? It looks so advanced, but seems like it would be great once you get it down.

2. Can you do a professional post? You've been getting so much great press and us budding PR folks want to know your key tips and tricks and more about how you're branding yourself.

Toni

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks from specialize in laptop battery,laptop AC adapters. All our products are brand new, with the excellent service from our laptop battery of customer service team.
Thanks for your info. The most convenient and cheap replacement battery online shop in uk. We specialize in laptop batteries, laptop AC adapters.

All our laptop AC adapter are brand new, with the excellent service from our customer service team.

the most convenient and usa battery online shop in usa.
You can find some battery and adapter from here is very cool.

We specialize in laptop batteries,laptop AC adapters. All of batteries are brand new, with the excellent service from our customer service team, you can feel free to purchase on laptop battery!
Here is cheap laptop ac adapter online shop in uk. We specialize in batteries. All our au battery are brand new, with the excellent service from our customer service team.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home