Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rainbrow Brite


Hey muchachas,
Hope you're not afraid of eyeshadow, because I'm seeing a veritable riot of rainbow-esque shadow shades all over the runways. You better get ready! We're talking fuschia, turquoise, electric purple (ow-ah!), shimmery tangerine...think one of the jungle girls from Duran Duran's "Rio" video. Or the jungle girls in Gloria Estefan's "The Rhythm is Gonna Get You." Or the hot Latina Mary Jane Girl (was her name Corvette?). Or that soft-spoken, bashful girl above. The look is in-your-face, brazen, and so not for the timid. Raowrr!


My favorite incarnation of the rainbow shadow moment was at Derek Lam. Oh! I barely noticed what the models were wearing, so good was the Fruit Stripes-inspired eye. Of course, you don't have to go this hard in your own life. Just use the runway look as inspiration, and pare it down so you don't look crazy. Try just lining your bottom lid with a bold turquoise shadow, using a tiny liner brush. Or punch up a neutral eye by blending a kick-ass plum in the crease. Or, using your pinky finger, dot a golden hue in the inner corners of your eyes, near your nose (this is a secret makeup artist trick used to make hungover models look instantly, breathlessly awake).


Urban Decay Book of Shadows Volume II ($48) comes sixteen shadow shades in every texture under the sun--shimmery, matte, sheer, opaque, everything. Honestly, it's such a find. You'll never have to buy another eyeshadow again. Plus, it comes stocked with two eye pencils, and a travel-size bottle of the bestselling Eyeshadow Primer Potion (blend over your lids before applying eyeshadow, and it won't budge all day). For my recessionistas, I'd recommend Revlon Illuminance Creme Eyeshadow in Copper Canyon (which comes with a turquoise, bronze, orange and champagne shades) or Va Va Bloom (a palette of yummy purples), $6.99 each.
xoxo,
Tia

7 Comments:

Blogger BCopher said...

Thanks Tia. I'm having my 30th Bday party Friday night and this might be just the look I need to set it off big time. I'll have to practice tonight.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my...who is that black model? She is beautifullll!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Big City Beauty said...

OMG! I LOVE THIS SET!!! and the little look book that comes with it is great! ;)

4:21 PM  
Blogger A*E* said...

This post could not have come at a better time! I'm going to an 80s party on Saturday and needed some makeup tips! Thanks Tia!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia,
This is so off subject, but I was just remembering an ooold post you did about thug vs thugee. I am watching old style tv 'The man from Uncle' and found out the word "thug" is a truncation of 'thuggee'. It is one of many Indian words borrowed into English during the British colonial period.

Who would have thought Indians were the real Thugs for life. lol

See 60's television was way more educational. Just thought of you and your old post.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Toya said...

I'm a recesionista but that Urban Decay palette is insane. I think I'll have to invest. I'll just cut back on food or something :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger GreedyGirl said...

WOw this is great I have the first book of shadows nd I loe it. I am all in for the Book of Shadows II

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home