Friday, July 25, 2008

Fine Lashes


Hi girls,
Today, I don't have a specific product to gush over. Instead, it's all about an EXTRAORDINARY bit of beauty advice I learned from my dear friend/legendary makeup artist Sam Fine. Over a delicious gourmet pizza at Franny's last night (if you're anywhere near Brooklyn, look into it...and please ignore the girl-I-am-so-over-you hostesses), Monsieur Fine illuminated my entire world with one single, casually dropped, mascara tip. Now, I've always applied mascara AFTER curling my lashes. Huge mistake. See, according to the genius, adding coats of mascara to just-curled lashes only succeeds in straightening them out. Turns out, you need a pre-curling "primer coat" to provide hold, and ensure that your curl will stay. You know, like how you use setting spray before you using the curling iron. Makes so much sense, I'm furious I never put it together, myself. Anyway, here's how to do it. Whip out your mascara wand, blot it with a tissue (you want the thinnest coat possible), and quickly swipe it through lashes. Now, use your favorite lash curler. While your lashes are "setting," work on the rest of your makeup. When your face is finis, apply two coats of mascara to your lashes. Sam ALWAYS applies his final mascara coats last! I tried it this morning, and it honestly made all the difference. My lashes are popping something crazy. Viva la Fine!
xoxo,
Tia

16 Comments:

Blogger Sharlene said...

Thank You so much for the tip...curling my lashes is my new obsession

12:25 PM  
Blogger B said...

Wow....I HAVE to try this. It makes complete sense. I don't know why I didn't think to do it this way before. Another reason to love that Sam Fine! Have a fab weekend!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Who knew Sam Fine was so damn FINE? Yummy. Anyways- I am so trying this tonite. I always thought I had to buy the $11 Zoom Lash from Mac to get my lashes like "whoa" but if all it takes is some curling and setting- I'm all about it. Another tip I can share con las chicas tonite. Muchas Gracias! Te Amo mi prima!!! xoxoxox

12:58 PM  
Blogger Yannize said...

that is a great tip! but Im so over my lashes I wear falsies everyday....

1:57 PM  
Blogger Le Beaute said...

Great tip, T!


And yes, what a FINE man Sam is, lol





http://beautebellabeauty.blogspot.com

3:46 PM  
Blogger Tales of a Diva Housewife said...

I'll have to try this. Mr. Sam Fine is amazing, and so nice.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Product Junkie Diva said...

I have his book and I know the he is a true artist!
Thasnks for passing the information along.
PJD

9:50 PM  
Blogger sabrina said...

Really? You still have lashes? I thought that the reason why you curl before putting on mascara is so the lashes won't get stuck on the curler pad and get pulled out with the pressure.... Interesting concept...

12:21 AM  
Blogger teeluv said...

interesting....have never used a lash curler.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love eye make up and naturally I love mascara! I'm such an enthusiast but I'm just learning and I've just started putting on eyeliner - HUGE DIFF - so puh-lease post something with tips about working with liquid liner and liners in general, and also whether to line under the eye. I'm debating when that's appropriate though a friend manages to pull it off well for daytime wear....

ok, topic at hand: priming lashes w/mascara before curling. I'd intuit that the lashes would harden after the mascara is applied and incur breakage when curling. Even when I managed to curl before the mascara dried, the lashes would stick to the curler. Any suggestions on how to prevent that?

Thanks Tia! :-)

1:58 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I've always assumed this would cause breakage/ripping-out/crunchy lashes... Plus, I just have to keep working while my lashes are till wet - I use like 200 coats!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Aly said...

I always heard that curling lashes with mascara on them will cause breakage, but maybe it depends on the quality of the lash curler as well... I'm sure a cheap lash curler would take off your lashes, but maybe not one like the Shu Uemura brand.. any thoughts?

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Teeluv!

I am one of God's practical jokes-I have a head full of long, thick, curly hair, but my lashes and eyebrows are virtually non-existent. I thought I would curl,too, but a guy at Sephora told me that someone with hair as curly as mine can't curl lashes to make them look longer. He explained that curling them will make them look SHORTER, much like if I were to take the wavy parts of my hair and impart a curling iron-my hair would look shorter. So I'm still on the fence about whether to even curl the lashes. Any thoughts, Tia?

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Sam Fine *jealous*

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it that men always giving women beauty tips?

http://rapmonster.com

4:33 PM  
Anonymous rap songs said...

you can never have to many beauty tips. thx

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home