Monday, February 11, 2008

Fashion Week, Parte Uno

Hi ladies,
Mama's back! Wow. Fall 2008 Fashion Week was such a whirlwind, you have no idea. I was seriously working so hard that I gave up shaving my legs, plucking my brows and watching The View on DVR for eight days straight (has le dingbat du jour, Sherri Shepherd, been fired yet?). I heard that a twee white boy warbled Akon's "I Wanna Love You" on American Idol...I was so sorry to miss that. Anyway, la semana de fashion shenanigans is now over, but I'm thrilled to present my fabulous girls with Shake Your Beauty's annual FW favorites! I'll be giving you my six favorite beauty trends--along with some random observations--in three installments over the next week. Can't wait for you to walk with me through the beauty bonanza that was the New York Fashion Week! Oh, ignore that lump of tafetta to the left...it's the discarded remains of the zillions of C-list actresses who descended upon NYC for the shows, desperate for media attention due to the lack of awards season red carpet photo ops. The first and last time you'll ever see Sophia Bush seated next to a troupe of Voguettes.
xoxo,
Tia

TIA'S FAVE SHOW LOOKS, PART 1

BEST EYES: TIGER EYE SHADOW (Badgley Mischka, left)
I have zero recollection of the clothes Badgley Mischka sent down the runway, because that gold and reddish-bronze eye with a hint of emerald was SO spectacular. The look, which showed up also at Herve Leger and Halston, was sort of a throwback to Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf" video (hello, aging myself), but in such a fresh, fab way. And the good news is, the neutral, Sahara-chic tones looked excellent on ALL the Badgley Mischka models, from East Euro blondes like Tanya D. to the exquisite Asian up-and-comer, Han Jin...but I kind of think Chanel Iman looked the best. Duh. And this tiger eye-ish look is so everyday friendly! Here's how I plan on rocking it: First, skip the emerald at the inner corners--too mid-80's Time Square hooker. Second, you must invest in Bare Escentuals Wearable Eye Kit in Meet the Nuts ($32), which includes a shimmery beige, copper, and reddish-brown shadows. Apply the copper to your lid, and blend the rust-brown in the crease. Follow up with the beige on your browbone and, if you're feeling saucy, dip a liner brush in the copper and drag it along your bottom lashline. Finish up with tons of mascara. So hot!


BEST LIPS: BRONZE-RUST, AKA "BRUST" (Peter Som, left)
Rust-bronze is the new red! I've decided to call this shade "brust," if you don't mind. It kept popping up everywhere, at shows like Rodarte, Philosophy di Alberta Ferreti, and Peter Som, where my new model obsession, Jourdan Dunn, incited a small riot with her perfect pucker. I love it. And I believe that a great brust is FAR easier to find than the perfect red. And darlings, I've found it. MAC describes their new Tinted Lipglass in 4N ($14) as a "chocolatey brown with red pearl, but we know what that means, don't we? The shade is gorgeous, totally wearable, and can be worn very sheer or uber-dramatic. Plus, MAC's thrown in jojoba oil to help condition chapped, winter lips (and it really does, I've been wearing it for a week). You cannot lose. Brust for everyone!

A FEW RANDOM FW THOUGHTS:

* I don't like Zoe Kravitz's new hair. And I'm a HUGE fan of hers...I think she's incredibly chic and cool. Plus, the blood of Denise Huxtable and Sex Walking runs in her veins (I mean, what else do you want?). But when she debuted her new look at Madonna and Gucci's star-studded benefit/bash for Malawi, I felt that she just looked...tired. Not everyone can sport the shaggy pixie.

* Rihanna told The Daily that she's shooting a cover for Elle! How delicious will that be?! Speaking of someone who can rock a pixie successfully...


* I loved this ensemble at Ruffian. It's all about a floaty, tied-at-the-neck blouse with tight, tight, tight jeans, don't you think? I found a great, lesser-priced version, Free People Smocked Tie-Neck Blouse ($39.99). Throw on a blazer and you're good!



13 Comments:

Blogger Lipgloss Luvah! said...

EEEK! So exciting! I wish I had your life! I definitely agree with the whole Zoe Kravitz thing, and I adore her, too. :)

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was an interesting week.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Calming Corners said...

WOW! Looks like you had a super busy yet exciting week... Thanks for the updates!

Question, I am going to Puerto Rico, do you have any suggestions for hair products when it comes to a slick ponytail?

8:57 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

I love all things Bare Escentuals and I own that Meet the Nuts eyeshadow pallette. So I co-sign on the recommendation. Simply gorgeous.

Loving the BRUST. I am on it.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Nerd Girl said...

I love that 4N lipglass! I only bought one tube, and must buy at least two more - it is gorgeous.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Nina (Femme Rationale) said...

Seriously, why was Sophia Bush at ALL the shows? Doesn't missy understand the term "over-exposure"? Well, she will now...

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoe is trying so hard to be different (and it's working - she looks really different) and that's the best I can give her on that hair do.

Thanks for the brust recommendation!

BTW Tia did you know that Damone Roberts' eyebrow salon opens in NY this week? I'm mega excited to have the pretty one himself work on my brows!

Kiera

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had totally forgotten that Lisa and Lenny had a child back in the day. Oh Lawd! If she's 19...that makes me...OLD!
Here's some links for the curious:
http://concreteloop.com/2007/02/zoe-kravitz-in-elle-magazine (on left...click to see larger)
http://movies.about.com/od/310toyuma/ig/310-to-Yuma-Premiere-Photos/310toyumaprem11.htm
http://www.bossip.com/4764/zoe-kravitz-down-with-the-swirl/

4:57 PM  
Blogger A*E* said...

I'm so loving the tiger eyes! Do you have any tips on how I can achieve Chanel Iman's nude nip color?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Elle* said...

Tia! I saw the new book already on Amazon for pre order. Can you give us an It Chicks #2 post soon???


Love,
*Elle

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Zoe can work the do if she decides to style it differently. Well I will stay tuned to see what she comes up with.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kiki said...

love the Tiger Eye and Bronze red lips!

I love Zoe's hair.
I am all about edgy, wherever hair if one has the personality to back it up!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the lips at Ruffian AND also seen in the new D&G ads. that dark plumy goodness.

one close shade is Cyber from Mac. It kind of makes you look like a witch but whatever. it works!!!!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home