Thursday, August 20, 2009

Purple Post

Hey lover,
I'M SO FRUSTRATED. I've been trying to post for two weeks now, but the folks at Blogger.com are being little shits (HELLO? Get a help desk!!). So, this post is way overdue and now totally outdated, but since it involves my BF, I had to share:


If you know anything about me, you know I am a devoted disciple of Prince. DEVOTED. I once got into an altercation with a fancy Frenchman who thought he was a bigger fan, so I was forced to show him my unfortunate "tramp stamp" tattoo of the face with the purple tear from Purple Rain (he trumped me when he put his custom Air Force Ones on the table and showed me the tiny Prince symbols lining the soles). In any event, I was beside myself when Purple Rain came to my neighborhood on August 6th! The Celebrate Brooklyn" folks hosted a huge Purple Rain singalong in Prospect Park"--they showed the movie on a huge outdoor screen while a band played along with the songs and the enormous crowd went, literally, crazy. It was THRILLING. I felt like I was actually at the '84 Purple Rain world tour...the one that I was, at 9 years old, forbidden to attend. Thousands of like-minded Darling Whomevers of every race, color, and sexual persuasion were screaming and singing, and dressed in every shade of purple imaginable, and waving lighters, and weeping (oh wait, that was me). And being me, I theme-dressed. There I am in the pic, squealing with my cousin Annie! I wore my favorite Prince tee, got a purple pedicure, and wore 80s-style striped violet-and-plum eyeshadow (easier said than done...it's a challenge to create a puce-colored eye without looking like somebody knocked you out).

I used a fabulous eyeshadow, MAC's Mineralize Eye Shadow Quad in Eccentricity ($18.50) from their brand-new Color Craft Collection. The palette comes with four intensely pigmented, slightly metallic shades, including a searing gold, twinkly violet, deep bronze and shocking plum. I wore the violet on my lid, plum in the crease, and gold along the browbone. I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but the combo totally worked. And as for my toes, I've been hell-and-gone obsessed with neon nail polish this summer, so when I decided to go for purple, I chose Essie Polish in Perky Purple ($8), a kick-ass, electric violet hue from their new Neon Collection. Love, love, love.
May U Live 2 See The Dawn,
Your Tia

13 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Well, better late than never. Love this post. Very witty and fun.

11:21 AM  
Blogger BCopher said...

I was soooo gonna be there but ended up missing the show. I'm still kicking myself. How in the world did I miss it? Le sigh

3:49 PM  
Blogger lovejones said...

Dahling, if ever there was an award for most creative post this one would have won you the prize hands down. To start with helpdesk treachery, maneuver around to the Greatest Purple One of All Time then segue back to an eyeshadow quad... (While including anecdotes and visuals, no less!) Pure genius. You win. Period.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL @ the "tramp stamp"! Don't band me from your site for saying this...but I haven't seen "Purple Rain,"...ever! My parents wouldn't let me watch it when I was a kid and I never got around to it.

4:18 PM  
Blogger shani-o said...

Google Reader says that Adam Cabezas posted this...has he been your ghost-writer all this time, Tia?? :-)

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia Doll, me and my bff so love Prince that in honor of Purple Rains 25th anniversary we watched it twice in a row (we also drank 4 bottles of moscato wine, but I digress...). I showed my Prince tat, proudly rocking out all night long like it was indeed 1999!!!!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous tabitha said...

That sounds like so much fun! And didn't you celebrate a bday recently? If so, happy birthday!

8:58 AM  
Blogger ghettogeisha said...

I'm so jealous! I wanted to go to that screening so badly, but not with tiny tot and bonus son in tow. Glad you went and sounds like you enjoyed it enough for the both of us!

9:38 AM  
Blogger teeluv said...

purple rain.... in the park, on a big screen, with a band. all i can say is WOW!!

shani-o...adam is tia's hubby. maybe he posted because she has been having issues....keep up chica.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I soo wanted to go to this but was too lazy to trek from manhattan to brooklyn then back to long island at the end of the night. Looks so fun! Glad, you're back although I have had a bit more cash in my wallet without your fab product suggestions! :)

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luv the post, luv the polish! Glad you're back in action Tia! Oh, and is that the Prince shirt that inspired the climax in The Accidental Diva? Legendary..lol

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Starchild said...

I'm soooo l.a.t.e. on this! Love you purple shadow selections! Some friends of mine went to that sing along and loved it! We have them in San Francisco, but hosted by drag queens. Awesome!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, do you REALLY have a Purple Rain "tramp stamp" tattoo? Please say yes. It will make me feel better about mine, which is a "tribal" design of...nothing.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home