Monday, April 28, 2008

Pearls, Panamanians, and Hook-Ups

Hi ladies,
First of all, thanks for all your inspired emails re: Shnozgate. The whole thing truly threw me for a loop, but I can assure you, the brilliant legal minds in my family will take care of it. As for the legions of Panamanians who believe that I "clipped" my nose into submission, well, I'm going to have to give it up to the Lord.














Something so exciting happened to me last Thursday! I was invited to the Brooklyn NAACP's Third Annual Freedom Fund Awards Program, where I was presented the Valiant Service Award for my contribution to raising the self-esteem of young women in the community. Not bad, right? I was SO flattered. I even theme-dressed in a veddy polite, proper, knee-length frock with pearls, a cardigan, and sensible heels (fine, a part of me wanted to know how it felt to be Mrs. Obama for a day). There I am with my mom, my sister Lauren, and my award, which I've named Lucille. The event was at the Brooklyn Marriot, and it was sooo fancy...all kinds of special politicians and community leaders were there, and even the fabulously naughty Gov. Patterson showed up! It was truly a special night, and I thank Karen Boykins-Towns, the President of the Brooklyn NAACP, for even considering me for such an award.


Apropos of nothing, I absolutely MUST gush a little bit about Mark's new Skincare Hookup Treatments ($8 each). For those of you not familiar with Mark, it's Avon's twenty-something bridge line, and it's delightfully inexpensive and brilliant (total cult favorite among Hollywood types). Anyway, Mark has shrunk their bestselling skincare products into knuckle-size tubes that attach to each other with a 50 cent "connector," so you can customize your own portable, travel-sized skincare regimen. The skincare products available for Hookups include the Get Clearance Anti-Acne Blemish Treatment Gel, Need a Shrink? Pore Minimizing Lotion, Kiss Dry Goodbye Lip Smoother, and the excellent Light Bright Lighten & Depuff Eye Gel. Buy any two Hookups and you get the special connector thingie for free! So easy, so cute, so perfect for on-the-go girls. Enjoy!
xoxo,
Tia

16 Comments:

Blogger beautylogicblog said...

You look beautiful. Congrats for winning such an amazing award. My best friend loves the Avon/Mark line, I'll have to try it.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Dollfaced Rebel said...

Kudos on Lucille. I love that you name everything lol.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Product Junkie Diva said...

Congrats on the big award....
Product Junkie Diva

3:02 PM  
Blogger Amina said...

Congratulations on your award Tia!
Mark hook ups are the best and they're fun:)

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hair is the business (and so is Madame Lauren's!) in this photo! Congrats on le award, Tia!

BTW: for the young lady that asked me about the Aveda pomade on myspace-I can't answer you because your profile is set up to only receive e-mails from your friends :( Let me know of another outlet and I will surely answer your question (P.S. Your hair is the business, too!)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Mlle M. said...

Wow, congratulations!! You definitely deserve your "Lucille" award. I have to say, when I first stumbled into the world of beauty blogs, I was so happy to find one by a fabulous brown girl. I'm sure lots of other girls feel the same. Keep up the good work!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your award, you really deserve it. :)
I just wanted to let you know that I love your website, there aren't alot of blogs geared toward African American, so it's great to see one, and read such great tips. I'm also happy to see that you are a fan of mark. products. I'm a mark representative, so if you are looking for a new one, or if any of you readers needs a rep go to my mark store:

http://alyssajohnson.mymarkstore.com/

Tia keep up the great work I love reading your blog. :)

Alyssa

9:49 PM  
Blogger divasoul said...

Congrats on your award!

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia, congrats, and that award pales in comparison to your efforts!

i just wanted you to know i would pick up your penchant for naming things, but since i am horrible with names, i would just forget what everything is called :(

1:39 PM  
Blogger angelica said...

Congrats sugar dumpling!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Awww! Congratulations Tia- You deserve it!! I'm trying to be like you when I grow up ;)

10:56 PM  
Blogger Calming Corners said...

What a wonderful honor, congrats to you! Keep up the great work.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sharlene said...

As young woman of color, I can truly say you deserve the award...this blog is like my beauty bible and It Chicks was a literary breath of fresh air. I love that you love mark...I actually use your blog sometimes to learn about products that I haven't tried yet

If anyone is looking for a mark rep, I'd appreciate the sales

http://spiverger.mymarkstore.com

Oh and Tia, do you have any suggestions for prom makeup??

8:36 AM  
Blogger Elle* said...

Congrats on the award, Tia!
Sooo, when are we going to get the scoop on the new book??

10:54 AM  
Blogger Bsquared said...

CONGRATS on the award!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your award.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home