Friday, March 14, 2008

Me & Jessica White!


Hey girls,
Ever since the days of Linda, Christy and Naomi, mama's harbored quite a few many model obsessions. But Jessica White? Swoon. In a sea of blank-faced, concave-boobed, Eastern Bloc tween queens, Lady Jess stands out as a stunning, womanly, sex-bomb. Loves her. She's signed with IMG, where, over the last decade, she's landed campaigns for CoverGirl, Chloe, Gap and Maybelline, and stalked the catwalks of every top designer from Oscar de la Renta to Ralph Lauren. In between all this modeliciousness, Jessica's also posed as a Victoria's Secret Angel, and starred in Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Issue for the past four years (check her out in full Joanne Gair body painting, above). Somehow, news of my love reached her team and, after a flurry of over-excited emails on my part, I landed an exclusive "Shake Your Beauty" interview with the supermodel! Squeal. Here's what Mademoiselle White has to say about mineral makeup, skinny arms, and Halle Berry.


SUPERMODEL JESSICA WHITE CHATTING WITH SYB:
Me: You must've picked up a zillion tips backstage at shows and shoots. What's your favorite?

JW: I'VE picked up tons of beauty tips in the 10 years I've been modeling, but I'm a simple girl. I'm not really into face wash and moisturizers. I wash my face with whatever is in the bathroom.

Me: You're, like, perfection...but there has to be something you don't love about yourself. Share.

JW: I've always hated my skinny arms. Since I was a child I've had chicken arms. [ME TOO, JESS!]


Me: What's in your makeup bag right now?

JW: I'm using Maybelline's Mineral Collection, from the foundation to concealer. It’s really natural and amazing for women of color.

ME: When were you discovered?

JW: I was only 15! I entered a modeling and talent competition in New York, called IMTA. An agent discovered me and a week later I was working for Vogue. I couldn't believe it!

ME: What's one of your most memorable modeling experiences, ever?

JW: I've so many fun experiences, but to choose a couple I'd say doing the 2007 Victoria's Secret fashion show--I'd waited for that experience for 10 years! And also my Maybelline contract, which allowed me to be the first women of color to ever have two beauty contracts. [MAJOR!!] That's been my greatest blessing so far.

ME: What's your beauty pet peeve?

JW: I can't stand to see exotic hair colors and make up that doesn't match a person’s complexion.

ME: What beauty look are you rocking for spring?

JW: I have long hair, but for the spring I'm cutting it short! It's about being simple and chic.

ME: I've gotten emails from many of my SYB Babes, asking me how to break into modeling. Any advice?

JW: For any young girl who wants to be in this business, I'd tell them to PLEASE finish school first so you have something to fall back on! In case it doesn't work out or you grow tired of it, get a strong support team around you because you can't do this job without love and support.


















ME: It's no secret that the modeling world is sorely lacking for black models. What's it like being so successful in this environment? And what's your take on the "blackout" situation?

JW: I feel because we live in a world of celebrity, designers don't really feel the void of black models on their runways. Sure, celebrities aren't doing runway shows, but there's no real void because designers can always get Beyonce or Halle Berry to do their campaigns. The only way this can change is if the casting directors and designers stop being afraid of real black beauty and start taking a stand. That said, I do feel that some companies are taking steps to make a change. I was in this year's Victoria's Secret show with three other black models, which was a first for me. It was empowering!

9 Comments:

Blogger (vixenchick) said...

She is so beautiful and down to earth!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice interview Tia!
Product Junkie Diva

10:00 AM  
Blogger Vee said...

She is AMAZING!

My bro has a crush on her too!

10:42 AM  
Blogger From Gullah to Ghetto and now Ivory Tower said...

I've been a fan of Jessica "Rabbit" White for a while. As a browner model, she is such a welcome face for me to see in magazines. Great interview with a smart model.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thats too good that jessica has been interviewed. She's too beautiful that everyone would be interested in reading. The interview was equally good.

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia , i am in love with that second pic of jessica, the eye makeup is amazing. How can i get the same look, tia pls help!!!

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great interview Tia!!! Jessica is goregous inside and out.

keep up the good work!!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Mlle M. said...

Wow, what a great interview! This woman is truly amazing. I always think how difficult it must be to work as a model, having so much scrutiny of your body and face. She seems to have such a strong sense of herself, which is so admirable. And the part about needing love and support to work in the industry - so smart. Great interview, Tia.

Kiss Kiss Beauty
http://kisskissblog.blogspot.com

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, jessica's interview is too good. She's too beautiful that everyone would be interested in reading. Great blog.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home