Friday, August 19, 2005

The "Being Bobby Brown" of beauty products

Hey y'all,
Before launching into the muy complicado explanation of today's title, I'd like you to join me in congratulating Schanina, Shake Your Beauty's August Product of the Month winner! She quickly and correctly identified Bermuda-born Vida's college alter ego as "DJ Tri" (for the Bermuda Triangle). Further proving her photographic memory, she noted that the MC-wanna-be settled on that moniker only after "V8" failed to stick with the public...impressive, no? Thanks for reading, doll, and enjoy your Stila Fiber Optic mascara!

Now, onto more pressing biz-nass. I have a confession. I'm hell-and-gone addicted to "Being Bobby Brown." I'm not sure what got me—Bobbi Kristina's Tina-Yothers-style matter-of-factness, Bobby's eerily endearing new crackhead underbite (a recent development, as his jaw structure was relatively normal during the Tenderoni era), or the moment Whitney warbled "I'm Not Doing This With Him To-daaaaay" during a small breakdown in Harrod's—all I know is that the reality show has become essential to my life. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. The Houston-Browns' behavior is at once giddily mortifying and, ahem, familiar (please, every black family KNOWS they have an uncle in Detroit or somewhere who'd announce at a 4-star restaurant that he's going to the bathroom to tear himself a new asshole). Anyway, this is a roundabout way of saying that even though "Being Bobby Brown's" existence is arguably meaningless--the show makes me a happier person, dammit.

And so do the following products. See, they're all kind of unecessary, but incredibly fun. For example, no one really NEEDS a makeup eraser pen for smudges (hello, a damp cloth?), or a mid-day mascara refresher gel (whose ever been scarred by dull lashes?)...but these products are just FUN! Just like watching Bobby and Whitney do the cabbage patch to an impromptu ditty called "They Work For Me" while trying on gift shop sunglasses, this stuff make me unreasonably happy. And honestly, what else matters?

So here's to the Bobby Brown's digestive tract, and these six sorta random but TRULY FABULOUS products!!

a big mwah on all four cheeks,
Tia

PS: The fact that they're all somehow eye-enhancing is not coincidental. I recently read Jane Fonda' autobiography, "My Life So Far," and I'm now obsessed with those great big, expressive 60s eyes she had back in the day (all killer brows, cat-eye liner and lashes). Watch "Barbarella," you'll know what I mean.

Tia's Top Six Unecessary-But-Fun Products
1.) BENEFIT HIGHBROW BROW LIFTING PENCIL: I just discovered this brand-new eye addition to the brilliant Benefit familia, and I'm all about it.. We're talking a simple, matte, translucent pinky-white pencil--but when you dot it along your arches and blend with a finger, it magically lifts brows and makes your eyes pop like crazy (sometimes I wear it alone with blush and lipgloss, and I look totally "finished"). And if you haven't plucked in a bit, the highlighty hue somehow masks grown-in hairs. Of course, this effect can be created with any pale pencil, but I think its cooler to have a product invented SPECIFICALLY for arch-beautification, don't you?
2.) YVES SAINT LAURENT GLOSSY TOUCH MULTI-PURPOSE GLOSS : Makeup artists don't leave home without this multi-purpose gem in their kits, and its easy to see why. The light, unsticky, seriously-shiny gloss is perfect for smoothing out curly brows (it gives natural hold that lasts all day), blended over lids for a radiant sheen, or over lipstick. You may be thinking, "won't Vaseline do the same thing?" Well, no it won't. A face full of Vaseline is a very greasy, sweaty-looking prospect, indeed.
3.) RAMY TRIUMPH! MASCARA REVITALIZER : I've known celebrity makeup artist Ramy was a genius ever since my days as a fresh-faced beauty assistant at YM magazine. We used him for a feature where he made over my baby sis Lauren's entire high school dance team using the same five products (guess who's the best big sis ever). Who but the brilliant innovative Ramy would've come up with a clear gel that, when swiped over flaky, faded mascara, immediately adds shine and luster to lashes? Perfect for end-of-workday touch ups before going out.
4.) SMASHBOX ARCHED EYELINER BRUSH #21 : As you know, I'm deeply into working a 60's cat eye right now. Not in a huge, too-made-up way--just a skinny, SLIGHTLY winged-out-at-the-corners line. I've always had trouble making this happen with liquid eyeliners (if you don't have the precision of a surgeon, forget it). Somehow, Smashbox's new ultra-skinny, angled brush does the work for me! I dip it into a sparkly black cream eyeshadow like REVLON ILLUMINANCE CREME SHADOW IN VINTAGE CHIC, look downwards, and drag along lash line. Very ooh-la-la.
5.) CLINIQUE KOHL SHAPER FOR EYES IN BLACK KOHL: Upon first glance, you'll wonder what makes this new eye pencil so special. It has the perfect, ridiculously creamy, liquid-looking consistency of all Clinique's fabulous pencils but, hold onto your hats--a sharpener is built into the cap!! No more searching around in the bottom of your purse or makeup drawer, or having to throw away blunt pencils because you've lost the damned thing. Holla!
6.) SEPHORA MAKEUP ERASER PEN: Seriously, I've never seen anything like this pen. Wipe it over mascara smudges, travelling eyeshadow, or smeared lipstick, and the boo-boo magically disappears. No tugging, pulling or anything! If you've ever found yourself with cheeks full of sifted-down shadow particles after applying smoky eyeshadow, you'll get why this this is such a brilliant invention.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am beauty product challenged, it seems I never know what's good. That's why I just usually want it all. But lately I have been fascinated with playing up my eyes. Every time I go to an event where there's a free makeover, the make up artists, points out my
"almond-shaped eyes." Is that a good thing?

And yes, I tried to not watch it, but Being Bobby Brown is so addictive.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Butta said...

I am all over that Sephora eraser pen. Good looking out once again!

BBB is a guity pleasure of mine as well. Hate to love it, love to hate it, can't stop watching it!

7:38 PM  
Blogger LaShaunda said...

Being Bobby Brown is one of those shows you can't believe you're watching, but you won't turn the channel.

Bobby and Whitney they need Jesus.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Cece said...

Hey Tia ~ Let me first say I love the blog! Now I desperately need your advice! I love fashion and beauty. And I don't mean in the "I can spend an hour in the drugstore" I mean in the "I keep and archive all my old magazines type of way" I have some from the early 90's from my mom. Obsessive? Yes I know. Now the problem is I really want to break into the magazine industry. I would take an unpaid internship if I could. I'm 21 but... I have a BA in Criminal Justice. There was no way my parents were gonna pay for me to study shoes all day. According to my mom I can play dress up and read magazines for free. I know I would be perfect in a beauty editor or even a fashion editor position. Any ideas on how I can break in?

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia thanks so much for you tips. After you recommended the Redken After-Sun line I raced out and bought it for my vacation.

Your recs are always on point...."They work for me they work...."

By the way I have been reading your beauty advice since LUCKY MAG. I used to buy it just to see what you recommended.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Sweet, I won! I would like to thank the Academy. No, for real thanks Tia and your friends at Stila. I’ll be batting my eyelashes in style. Your friend Lola had killer eyelashes in that Love Heals party pic. Perhaps she will be my inspiration.

Oh, and let us all say a prayer for Bobbi Kristina. God Bless the child whose parents aren't normal.

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

I read your book awhile back. It was great and had me laughing out loud in public places. I love it when a book can do that. Anyway, i just discovered your blog and I am loving it!

I too love Being Bobby Brown. But I just have a couple of questions- Is that Whitney's hair? Is it a wig? I just saying, can't she look better than that by the head? Does she really have to look like that? I say Hell-to-the-naw!

4:56 PM  
Blogger princessdominique said...

I will look into the eraser pen too! Love this blog :)

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is another product I LOVE like your BENEFIT HIGHBROW BROW LIFTING PENCIL... Anastaisia brow pencil in Sephora...

Thanks for the tips and GREAT blog gurl ;)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

My favorite phrase from Whitney is "Hell to the Naw."

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia~
Accidental Diva is a great book...I've read it twice, and just reading your blog makes me want to pick it up again. And by the way...I love your blog! I must admit that I love "Being Bobby Brown" also. My favorite phrase..."Hell to the Naw!" Thanks for the tips!

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog...am very impressed with your career path...will place your book in que on my 'to read' list.

I'm so glad I clicked in to your blog. I was like, interesting posts aaaand beauty products! Are you kidding me?! Where have you been all my blog-life?

And I haven't heard one person say they watched it and weren't instantly sprung...a BBB addict. When it comes to Being Bobby Brown...resistance if futile.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all your makeup finds and tips. I've done some of my own searches on some of these products and I found this great site, www.palacinka.com, that has many of the same products and more along with reviews from many different types of women. You should check it out and thanks for turning me onto these wonderful products.

LS

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情人歡愉用品,情惑用品性哥,情人用品性哥,情趣用品,AIO交友愛情館,情人歡愉用品,美女視訊,情色交友,情人用品性哥,視訊交友,辣妹視訊,美女交友,性愛,嘟嘟成人網,按摩棒,震動按摩棒,微調按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,逼真按摩棒,G點,跳蛋,跳蛋,跳蛋,性感內衣,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,情趣娃娃,角色扮演,性感睡衣,後庭區,SM,潤滑液,情趣禮物,威而柔,香水,精油,芳香精油,自慰,自慰套,性感吊帶襪,情趣用品加盟,情人節禮物,情人節,吊帶襪,辣妹視訊,美女交友,情色交友,成人交友,視訊聊天室,美女視訊,視訊美女,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友,視訊聊天,AIO交友愛情館,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人網站,AIO交友愛情館,情色,情色貼圖,情色文學,情色交友,色情聊天室,色情小說,七夕情人節,色情,A片,A片下載,免費A片,免費A片下載,情色視訊,情色電影,色情網站,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,美女視訊,視訊美女,美女交友,美女,情色交友,成人交友,自拍,本土自拍,情人視訊網,視訊交友90739,生日禮物,情色論壇,正妹牆,正妹,成人網站,A片,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,AV女優,成人影片,色情A片,成人論壇,情趣cg

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home