Thursday, June 04, 2009

Q&A Wednesday

Hi ladies,
Thanks for all your well-wishes re: La Lina's baptism...it really was such a special day. I'm so proud of my little doll. She was so composed, so well-behaved! Particularly remarkable, considering how her mother reacts to water coming anywhere near her hair. But enough about me. Girls, it's Q&A Wednesday! I picked out a question that I found particularly relevant as the weather heats up. Enjoy!

SYB BABE: HtGrl28

HER ISSUE: "Hey lady! I know brown girls need sunscreen as much as anyone else, but I hate wearing it. All the ones I've tried have been really thick and they make me break out. Any suggestions for a sunscreen that won't give me pimples?"


TIA'S TWO CENTS: Oh HtGrl28, I have the same problem. Most sunscreens give me zits, too. Sometimes I feel like shaking my fist at the heavens, shouting, "What price sun protection?!" I found the answer in Cosmedicine Speedy Recovery Daytime Blemish Lotion SPF 15 ($40). I wear it every single day, under my makeup. Not only is loaded with UVA/UVB protection, it contains salicylic acid to clear up zits AND prevent new ones from coming. The only catch is, salicylic acid can make your skin sensitive if it's over-exposed to the sun, so if you're planning some major sun-worshipping, try an oil-controlling sunscreen sans acne-fighting ingredients, like Peter Thomas Roth Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Sunblock SPF 30 ($26). The ungreasy, fragrance-free formula keeps your skin both protected and matte all day, plus it's loaded with skin-nourishing vitamins. Hope this helps!
xoxo,
Tia

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
For sunscreen, I use Dr. Susan Taylor's Rx for Brown Skin and it works very well for me. It's not streaky or heavy so makeup lays on it very well.

Kierah

10:21 AM  
Blogger Beauté Noire said...

Great post Tia! Peter Thomas Roth also has a really awesome sunscreen for oily skin called Uber Dry Sunscreen SPF 30. HtGrl28 might want to try that out, too. I love it!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

My favorite day cream with SPF 30 is Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer. It has broad spectrum (uva/uvb) protection, plus soy which helps to minimize the brown scarring I get after a breakout. Its about $14 for 1.7 ounces at Target. It goes on smooth and silky, almost like a primer, making a great canvas for foundation. I really like it!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tia,

Can you update your obessions list on the right por favor? : D

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Moni said...

Kiehl's UV Protective Everyday Facial Moisturizing Sunscreen Cream SPF 15 is my go-to sunscreen. I've been using sunscreen on a daily basis for over a decade, so I've definitely tried a lot. This one is my holy grail because it gives great UVA protection with Mexoryl (which is way more important for us brown women, since it protects from darks spots and aging) and leaves my oily skin looking healthy and moisturized, not greasy. I love it!

1:57 AM  
Blogger sstellaa said...

More about fashion, beauty or lifestyle, please visit:

Elle HK Magazine

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Real hair wigs said...

sunscreens are required in the heavy sun as it is very effective and also goes well with with makeup too as you have to step out in summery day...wearing very light sunscreen will not going to put any effect on the skin....

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home