Thursday, April 21, 2005

Makeup? Not me—I'm as natural as Vivica's lips

During my career as a editor, I've done my share of celebrity beauty interviews. And no matter who it is, I can count on the starlet delivering the following line: "You know, I wear so much makeup on the set, I can't bear it in my real life. Of course, she'll say this rocking enough eyeshadow to satisfy a small nation of trannies. And it's not just the Us Weekly-ettes—we all want people to think we're effortlessly flawless. I'll be the first to admit it. My "au natural" look involves surgeon-like concentration and some intensely-edited products, but it's worth it. I'm not one to brag (ha), but its so convincing that complete strangers have commented on my "lit-from-within-glow." Fine, maybe those exact words weren't used (and if they're guys it's more like "yo beautiful, can I holla at you for a minute?")—but because I'm so sweet, I'll let you in on my "no-makeup-makeup" regimen.

TIA'S TOP TEN: No-Makeup Makeup Products
1.) BIORE PORE PERFECT DAILY DEEP PORE-CLEARING CLEANSING PADS
www.drugstore.com
Much to the chagrin of every dermatologist I've ever interviewed, I don't wash my face. And its for the stupidest reason. I get a blowout every Sunday, and I'm not trying to splash water on my face and ruin my roots, okay? Anyway, these cleansing cloths do the job like nobody's busiiness, and they smell fresh and yummy.


2.) CLINIQUE DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT MOISTURIZING GEL
www.clinique.com
My beautiful mom used this iconic yellow moisturizer when I was a little girl, so it smells like her and reminds me of her and is altogether a sentimental treat. But different! Clinique just came out with this gel version for oiler skin types, like mine. Dot it on dry areas for the dewiest glow.


3.) PHILOSOPHY THE SUPERNATURALS AIRBRUSH COLOR-CORRECTORS IN DARK
www.philosophy.com
I'm sort of a cappuccino-brown color with a major yellow undertone, and I've never been able to find a concealer that makes the earth move for me. This one's genius because it comes with three, almost-but-not-quite shades I can blend together. I blend this on my undereye circles and the delightful new breakout on my chin.


4.) TARTE CHEEK STAIN IN SUNKISSED
www.sephora.com
I've used this for YEARS. A sheer bronzey shade, you just dab the stick on the apples of your cheeks, and blend in with your fingers. It's the most natural flush, ever. And it has a coconut, beachy scent!


5.) SHISEIDO THE MAKEUP HYDRO-POWDER EYE SHADOW IN TIGER EYE
www.sca.shiseido.com
A little pot of creamy, shimmery neutral delightfulness, this genius shadow dries to a powder finish and refuses to budge or crease all day. It's crazy—the other night I came home at 4am (don't ask) and it was more alive than me! Just use a finger to blend from lashes to crease.


6.) LANCOME HYPNOSE MASCARA IN BLACK
www.Lancome-USA.com
No clumps, no smears—just long, thick, "yeah, my mom had naturally long lashes, too" perfection. Oh, but always curl your lashes first; it makes your eyes look huge.


7.) C.O. BIGELOW MENTHA LIP SHINE
www.bigelowchemists.com
Until my Sahara-dry lips are exfoliated and moisturized, lipstick is a joke. First, I rub a wet washcloth across my lips, then I apply this yummy, super-strong peppermint balm. Seriously, it's so tasty I eat the excess off my fingers. Is that bad?


8.) MAC LIP PENCIL IN CORK plus HARD CANDY CANDY-COATING SPARKLING LIP GLOSS IN CARAMEL
www.maccosmetics.com | www.sephora.com
My top lip is darker than my bottom—an issue that's plagued me forever. To fix it, I fill in with Cork, a color that's the exact shade of my lips, then add the Sparkling Lip Gloss for a sexy, shimmery finish.


9.) NARCISO RODRIGUEZ FOR HER FRAGRANCE
www.bloomingdales.com
SOOO good. Every beauty editor is obsessed with this earthy, subtle, incense-y scent. Seriously, don't wear it if you don't want extra attention.


10.) ELLIN LAVAR TEXTURES NOURISH OIL
www.ellinlavar.com
To top off the "naturally beautiful" moment, I just run a drop of this amazing shine serum on my poor, over-processed ends. Ellin's new product line is amazing--she's worked with icons like Iman and Naomi, so she knows how to give great hair!

Try this stuff...no one will believe you didn't wake up this gorgeous!

xoxo,
tia

9 Comments:

Blogger Tia Williams said...

Yay! Spend your money, honey--I don't believe in beauty rehab.
xoxo,
tia

1:25 AM  
Blogger Shelia said...

I love my MAC Shockalate Lip Glass...I won't leave home without it. I'll have to try the "SPARKLING LIP GLOSS IN CARAMEL."

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know....I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! You have so many things on your list that are a total MUST!!!

I hope you don't mind...I would love to add you to my blog roll.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, came by Prin Dom. we are both on ther blogroll. Love your blog! WIll have to read you tonight! Come by mine sometime!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Tia Williams said...

Dear Singing and Mrs. Mogul,
Thank God for Princess Dominique, right? And of course you can add me to your blog roll! This whole thing is so new to me...I feel like I just got initiated into an electronic sorority. Keep stopping by girls...starting next month, I'm doing "Product of the Month" giveaways!!

And forgive me for only posting once this week...I had a horrible migraine for three days (it's been my curse since I was 10). I swear the next one will knock the weave right off Ashanti's head.

xoxo,
tia

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Tia! I went to UVA as well, class of '98. One of our classmates told me about your site and book - there is nothing like seeing people succeed at their dreams.
I wish you all the best and continued success in the future. If you ever have a spare second, I would love to meet up for drinks and see if we could possibly work together some time down the road.
I work for Burson-Marsteller, a PR firm, and my current clients include Old Navy, French Polynesian Government (Tahitian pearls) and British Airways, we also rep Harlequin.
My contact info: (212) 614-4990, nicole_pickens@nyc.bm.com
Take care!
Nicole Pickens

4:02 PM  
Blogger Adige said...

Tia, thanks for the tips. I jammed to Sephora and picked up the Hard Candy Caramel lip gloss and Tiger eyeshadow. I have really oily lids so my shadow creases pretty fast. We will see how this product holds up.

Also, I have not been to MAC in years, every since everyone and there mama was became a MAC girl... Been hiding out at Stila til the next new thing hits. Mahogany and chestnut were just too dark. But you are right. Cork matches my lip color to a T.

I'm so happy to have found your little corner of the world. Splendora gave a shot out to you and I came for a glance but stayed for the advice, and will continue to drop in. One gets tired of reading magazine that predict the hot new color and it ends up be so wrong for your skin tone.

Congrats!

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can I get Ellin Lavar hair products. Do thy really work on black nappy hair?

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I really tried to purchase a line of Ellin Lavar's products and I could log on to her web-site for her products, the only item came up was (1) bottle of shampoo and I know that's not acceptable to Ms. Lavar. I'm also a cosmetologist that started in Detroit and relocated to Western New York to Bowling Green Kentucky and Ellin Please, help a sister get the @!$ of of here, I have 20 yrs of all kinds of experience you name it, I got. Just give me a chance. Love your you and your staff. (~.~) Tinni

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home